Hello Simon, I just bought Hero Designer and I can get it to open, however when I go to put the character to export, there is a blank showing where the exports should be. I cant figure out how to get the exports open. Thanks in advance.

It doesn't show anything available for HDE files.

Damn, I was having the same problem.

I don't know why the computer went to a certain directory which sounded like the one I needed. So I went up the directory tree and found it in my downloads section.

I don't know why the computer went to a certain directory which sounded like the one I needed. So I went up the directory tree and found it in my downloads section.

Do you recall the name of the correct directory?

It's like ANY other program on your system -- when you're looking to open a file, you need to go to the directory that actually has the files.

Whatever directory you have downloaded/stored your export formats in.

I got confused because when I first opened up export file box, it did not go to my downloads section ( which is where it is). I did not create any custom directory I just went with whatever the computer said was default.

No, HD has NEVER scanned your system to determine the "correct" directory for HDE files.  There is no "correct" directory - it's wherever you decide to save them.

The first time HD runs, it has no idea where your files are -- it defaults to the directory that it's running from.  You point it to the directory that you saved your export formats to (when you downloaded them from this site, or wherever else you got them) and it will remember that directory going forward.  If you download other HDE files to a different directory, you'll need to point HD to them if you want to see/use them.

This is no different from any other program you have on your system.

And no, "installing" or "uninstalling" HD will have no impact on this.  The only thing that will change the above process is if you delete the directory that HD is saved to/run from as doing so will delete your appPrefs.xml file, which is where HD stores information like the last directory used for HDE files.

Isn't there a default? That's what I meant. I never told the computer what directory to use.

The very first time the software is installed a directory has to be chosen.  When I installed the recent update I had to choose my preferred or 'default' directories again. The software is working normally.

HM