Favorite "Cheap" Powers

g3taso

Flying Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Full Phase to reset; +1/4) (17 Active Points)

Seriously awesome.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teleport on a trigger as a super "dive for cover" power for speedsters is good

Really just a few points of telekinesis is tremendously powerful and cheap.  Slap full invisibility and 0 END cost on it, and its still cheap to have 5 STR, and that's good enough for almost everything you do in life right now with your hands, but at range indirectly.

Flying Dodge:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Full Phase to reset; +1/4) (17 Active Points)

Seriously awesome.

Putting limitations and advantages on martial arts is usually frowned upon.

However ...

+4 DCV, linked to movement (-1/2) = 13 pts (20 active).

8m Teleport must pass through intervening space (-1/4), trigger no time, 1/2 phase reset (+1/2) = 10 pts (12 active)

There were rules for placing Modifiers on Maneuvers in Hero System Martial Arts​, but as I recall the maneuver's APs were calculated differently. The system didn't really appeal to me though, so I am likely misremembering it.

Generally speaking, I don't think you should be placing Modifiers on Maneuvers because they aren't base powers. They are, themselves, a kind of modifier/element of the Martial Arts Skill, and any effect you want to achieve using modifiers should be built as an appropriate power instead (such as dsatow's example above)

Really just a few points of telekinesis is tremendously powerful and cheap.  Slap full invisibility and 0 END cost on it, and its still cheap to have 5 STR, and that's good enough for almost everything you do in life right now with your hands, but at range indirectly.

One of my (non-adopted) suggestions for 6e was that TK should have a base cost (8 pts? I can't remember) because it also functioned as an Extra Limb that was Usable At Range.

Someone posted a slow regen, seemed a little overly complicated to me, heres what I did. 

3   Regeneration (20)   1d6 Body (+1/2 0 END) (+1/2 Persistant) (-1/2 Self Only) (-1/4 Does'nt Regrow Parts) (-4 Once a day)

Basically 1 body a day.  Thats what, 8x faster than the average man for 3 points? (not to mention your natural regen on top of it) 

Protection from evil spell, pretty cheap and effective I think.

5   Protection From Evil (19)   5 PDr/EDr (15) (+1/4 Half END) (-1/4 Visible) (-1/4 Incantations) (-1/4 Fails in AMF) (-1/4 1H Gesutre) (-1/4 Only Against Evil)  

I like this one too, think of it as a martial trance, a bunch of CSL's for a short time, good to go all out with. Sweep and disregard the negatives to OCV, or aim for vitals/head without much penalty. 

10   Martial Trance   6 HTH CSL's (30) (-1 1 Charge, Continuous 1 Min) (-1/2 Cost END to Maintain) (-1/2 Restrainable)    

These are all on my fantasy characters, hopefully they translate to other genres. 

I make a lot of mentalists, martial arts masters, and highly trained normals, and they tend to be a bit fragile in combat unless they are wearing heavy armor, which isn't always practical or conceptually valid.  So two of my favorite powers are

Saw It Coming: +3 PD/ED Combat Luck (also bought as Blow Slipping or similar depending on the exact sfx)

Pain Override: -1 DC Physical and Energy Damage Negation, Req. EGO roll (or CON roll as appropriate, also bought as Braced for Impact or  Tough as Nails)

Another nice defensive power is extra DCV:
Uncanny Dodging: +2 DCV, only while Dodging (-1)
Weapon Parry: +2 DCV, OIF - Object of convenience (hero's normal HTH weapon or makeshift object as appropriate)

Someone posted a slow regen, seemed a little overly complicated to me, heres what I did. 

3   Regeneration (20)   1d6 Body (+1/2 0 END) (+1/2 Persistant) (-1/2 Self Only) (-1/4 Does'nt Regrow Parts) (-4 Once a day)

Basically 1 body a day.  Thats what, 8x faster than the average man for 3 points? (not to mention your natural regen on top of it)

????????

OK, what edition are you using?

Lucius Alexander

Inquiring palindromedaries want to know

The discussion in the martial arts damage class thread reminded me of this beauty:

Knock it off:  Teleportation 2m, Armor Piercing (x2; +1/2) (3 Active Points)

Cheaper than martial escape and effective against any strength score or hth DC boosted grab as well as thin entangles or barriers that don't have "cannot escape with teleportation x3" (pretty niche).

• 2 weeks later...

Teleport on a trigger as a super "dive for cover" power for speedsters is good

++ on the telekinesis.  One of my favorite powers at any AP level.  Other good cheapies:

Flight allows you to ignore terrain and puts you out of range of most melee attacks.

Teleportation has been mentioned.

Cumulative Drains and Transforms are extremely useful out of combat.

Certain Aids can be useful at low levels, especially for END and INT.

AOE Flash is useful even for one segment to halve bad guys' DCV and set them up for your buddies.  Timing is everything.

Stretching.

Density Increase.

Can't Keep a Good Man Down!: (Total: 39 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) +20 STUN (10 Active Points); Conditional Power Only when at negative STUN (To increase frequency of RECovery; -1) (Real Cost: 5) <b>plus</b> +5 REC (5 Active Points); Conditional Power Only when at negative STUN (-1) (Real Cost: 2) <b>plus</b> Aid 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points), Expanded Effect (x2 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (STUN and END; +1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action to reset, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; Triggered by regaining consciousness; +1/2) (24 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 1/4), One Use At A Time (-1), Only to Aid Self (-1), Only Restores To Starting Values (-1/2) (Real Cost: 5)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says that certainly seems to be true, and tries to put Lucius Alexander down again

Can't Keep a Good Man Down!: (Total: 39 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) +20 STUN (10 Active Points); Conditional Power Only when at negative STUN (To increase frequency of RECovery; -1) (Real Cost: 5) <b>plus</b> +5 REC (5 Active Points); Conditional Power Only when at negative STUN (-1) (Real Cost: 2) <b>plus</b> Aid 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points), Expanded Effect (x2 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (STUN and END; +1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action to reset, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; Triggered by regaining consciousness; +1/2) (24 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 1/4), One Use At A Time (-1), Only to Aid Self (-1), Only Restores To Starting Values (-1/2) (Real Cost: 5)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says that certainly seems to be true, and tries to put Lucius Alexander down again

And the companion ability:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/94337-how-would-you-build-resistant-to-being-made-prone/?p=2542948

5 I Get Knocked Down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down: Custom Power - Naked Position Shift Adder (5 Active Points)

[Notes: Characters with unusual Movement Powers (such as Flight or Teleportation) can use those powers to get to their feet as a Zero Phase Action after being knocked down, and without moving any distance, if they buy this +5 Character Point Adder. See also 6E1 302 regarding Teleportation.] - END=1

This only affects the character when they take their Phase actions.  The reduction to their DCV still occurs.  A number of PSL's vs being Prone = to half their normal DCV would also be needed.

:)

HM

Neat idea but why not just buy 20 more stun to begin with?

1. It's cheaper to buy limited STUN, and

2. It might be fun to get apparently knocked out and then come roaring back when you were thought to be down for the count.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary provides fluffy feathers to a nobleman

Looks like 5th, where regeneration disappeared

Yep. Dumbest thing ever IMHO. I'm quite glad I skipped 5th now.

Fortunately 6th has a far better Regeneration, including the 1 BODY per day effect that an earlier poster was after for 4pts.

As far as the topic goes, the old 1d6 HKA blade backed up by 15 STR was always a favorite. 15 points (-1 OAF) for 7 points. Very efficient at minor property damage, cutting ropes and even carving initials as a calling card, should you so be inclined.

My house rules base the knockout stun levels on CON, so you the time levels start out at your CON, not 10s by default: post-12 recoveries are at equal to CON+1, etc.  It isn't a big difference, but it does make CON mean more and made more sense to me.

I've considered something similar, whether Con base or just the ability to buy up the 10 base (so you could buy 15/30/45/60).  The caveat is "do we need combat to be longer?" and "Do we want more motivation for our Heros to hit a guy when he's down"?

Although, to the latter, if one actually applies what the RAW says the first tier (0 to -9) means, the problem is mitigated, since at that level, the target is more dazed than KOd, still standing, and it does not feel nearly as dishonourable to finish the job (and, since he takes double stun, generally no need to hit him again afterwards).

I've considered something similar, whether Con base or just the ability to buy up the 10 base (so you could buy 15/30/45/60).  The caveat is "do we need combat to be longer?" and "Do we want more motivation for our Heros to hit a guy when he's down"?

I only use it for PCs, NPCs get the standard 10, and mooks stop recovering when knocked out, period.