Favorite "Cheap" Powers

g3taso

I just created a cat-based character, and I gave her the following: 

Nine Lives:  Regeneration 1 BODY per Turn, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection (stopped by burning body and scattering ashes) (41 AP); 8 Continuing Charges of 5 Minute Duration (Never Recovers; -1 1/2), Resurrection Only (-2) (9 RP)

I know this goes over the AP limit in the OP, but I figured it's a low-RP power with only marginal use that otherwise fits the bill.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regeneration at any point level is hugely powerful in the right sort of campaign and pretty cheap. Even 1 hp a day is really fast healing. Anything faster than that effectively negates bleeding.

Technically you can buy regeneration at 1 body per 6 (edit) hours for 6 points.

HM

Yep.  Pretty much a staple of any character I build is the ability to recover multiple body per day somehow (healing, regeneration) - just in case.  It's cheap and even in street level games it's not particularly genre accurate to be out for months at a time: they're always better by the next adventure and while comic book time is fluid it's rare (not unheard of but rare) to mention the character who was covered in lacerations and coughing up blood from their last issue being out of action for a month.

Mind you, is that sort of regeneration/resurrection even worth points in a typical Superhero setting? Pretty much every character that "dies" comes back in short order aside from the very rare one that dies for a bit longer than usual for dramatic effect, or That One Character that never comes back. At least until an editorial change.

Long distance travel powers cost points, and I have never seen a game where the GM announces that "the battle is long over and the villains have departed by the time you arrive. The villains now rule the world with unshakeable power. Guess it is time for a new campaign."

Long distance travel powers cost points, and I have never seen a game where the GM announces that "the battle is long over and the villains have departed by the time you arrive. The villains now rule the world with unshakeable power. Guess it is time for a new campaign."

I have (well, the 'battle is over' part) but only because the characters explicitly chose to walk when they had faster transportation available to them in order to prove that campaigns move at the 'speed of plot.

It's true ... but if you have access to a team of horses, for example, you better be thundering through the night to get there 'in the nick of time'. 

I've been on a 'it costs 0' spree in my current game.  I even threw in some forms of life support if it fits your concept.  Quite liberating.

Yeah I'm not sure resurrect healing for yourself is really worth it in a Superhero game.

It is if the GM takes the viewpoint that spending points on the ability requires him to make your points worthwhile, so you get to, say, surprise the villain by coming back from the dead, and save the day.

Practically, if none of the heroes have Hunteds, will there be no enemies? No DNPCs means there will never be bystanders to save? No one spent points on languages, so the world ends because no one could read an inscription in an ancient tongue to determine how to stop it?

Funny...in games with an average 8DC attack, 8d6 passes STUN past defenses, but if the average is 12d6, 8d6 is pretty ineffective. Why don't the villains from the 12DC game invest in a Cross Dimensional Transporter and take over the 8 DC game world?

My house rules base the knockout stun levels on CON, so you the time levels start out at your CON, not 10s by default: post-12 recoveries are at equal to CON+1, etc.  It isn't a big difference, but it does make CON mean more and made more sense to me.

Tried this in 4th and what happened is Bricks became really really effective.  People had to keep pounding on the brick well past them being unconscious to stop them from coming up.  It didn't make for a very comic book style combat though it worked fairly well for Heroic level games.  Haven't tried this in sixth.

I should note that the bricks had CONs close to their strength in value in the supers game.

People had to keep pounding on the brick well past them being unconscious to stop them from coming up.  It didn't make for a very comic book style combat though it worked fairly well for Heroic level games.

Again, this is coupled with the "non important bad guys don't get recoveries when knocked out" rule.  Having a bad guy keep getting back up because he's so tough is pretty classic though.

My current favorite cheap powers all reside on someone else's character sheet: Teleport, Aid, Barrier, and Heal. I get the benefits without spending a single character point. I wonder if our wizard counts as an Obvious Accessible focus?

A wizard could count as a list with common modifiers...

I Have a Wizard, all slots 64 clips of 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-0), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Trigger can expire (it has a time limit), Misfire; +1/4), Constant (+1/2); all slots Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically (Wizard takes a cut of treasure found; -1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Incantations (Have to ask for a spell; -1/4), Conditional Power Must be on good terms with the wizard (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4)

Protect Us, O Wizard!: (Total: 87 Active Cost, 32 Real Cost) Barrier 5 PD/5 ED/1 Mental Defense/1 Power Defense, 5 BODY (up to 3m long, 3m tall, and 1/2m thick), Alterable Size, Dismissable, Allocatable (+1/4), Configurable (+1/4), Mobile (+1/4) (87 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically (Wizard takes a cut of treasure found; -1/2), Cannot Englobe (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Incantations (Have to ask for a spell; -1/4), Conditional Power Must be on good terms with the wizard (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) (Real Cost: 32)

Heal me, O Wizard!: (Total: 22 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) Healing Simplified Healing 1d6, Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Hour; +1/2) (22 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically (Wizard takes a cut of treasure found; -1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Incantations (Have to ask for a spell; -1/4), Conditional Power Must be on good terms with the wizard (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) (Real Cost: 9)

Aid Me, O Wizard!: (Total: 65 Active Cost, 16 Real Cost) Aid 3d6+1 (standard effect: 10 points), Characteristics (+1/2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1) (65 Active Points); One Use At A Time (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically (Wizard takes a cut of treasure found; -1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Incantations (Have to ask for a spell; -1/4), Conditional Power Must be on good terms with the wizard (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) (Real Cost: 16)

Take me Home, Wizard!: (Total: 19 Active Cost, 8 Real Cost) Teleportation 3m, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), MegaScale (1m = 100 km; +1 1/2) (10 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically (Wizard takes a cut of treasure found; -1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Incantations (Have to ask for a spell; -1/4), Conditional Power Must be on good terms with the wizard (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) <b>plus</b> Teleportation: Floating Fixed Location (1 Locations) (9 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically (Wizard takes a cut of treasure found; -1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Incantations (Have to ask for a spell; -1/4), Conditional Power Must be on good terms with the wizard (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

Lucius Alexander

Summmon a palindromedary, O Wizard!

I'm more worried about that awkward conversation between players. "Why is my character listed as a Follower on your character sheet?"

Because it was cheaper than listing you as a Physical Manifestation of a bunch of Powers?

Yeah but do you want to get into a battle of wills with a Wizard?

I could use the Amicable Advantage.....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says the Wizard might feel taken Advantage of....