Strange Charges question

JmOz

Hugh, why are you still bringing up Continuing Charges? Those are specifically not allowed on Instant powers. If the power was changed to Constant I fully agree that's a good way to go.

I think we're pointlessly circling now. We've both had a good say on this and anyone who wants to make a decision on the matter can read through the thread.

I put it up on Steve Long's FAQ and it received the following response:

"As noted in the rulebook, Time Limit is primarily intended for “utility” or defensive abilities; attacks generally should rely on the standard HERO Systemduration rules. So the more appropriate way to build this ability would be:

HKA 2d6, Constant (+½); 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-¾). Total cost:  26 points.

Assuming that the GM were to allow the power construct you came up with, then the fact that it has Charges means it doesn’t cost any END."

Although unfortunately Steve's build doesn't give the same effect the OP was after, since a Constant HKA of 1 turn duration keeps doing the damage to the target every phase until it runs out. But it at least sets my mind at rest about the endurance question, which was still bugging me a little.

Also bugs me a touch that if Time Limit was meant to primarily apply to non-attack powers that Blast was used as the example of an Instant power in the CC entry.

Also bugs me a touch that if Time Limit was meant to primarily apply to non-attack powers that Blast was used as the example of an Instant power in the CC entry.

Part of that might be because Steve Long didn't write CC, so there are lots of things in it that don't mesh with Steve's view of the rules. However all of the examples in CC which use Time Limit are Instant Powers with Lingering Effects (and are examples of Time Limit as a Limitation).

The mention of Blast in the description of Time Limit as an Advantage (CC 117) is harkening back to its roots as the Lingering modifier (of ​Fantasy Hero AFIK). The design intent presented then was that you placed Lingering/Time Limit (as an Advantage) on a spell to define that you only had to perform all the spell procedures when you first cast the spell, and then for the duration of the spell thereafter you could activate the power without performing such procedures again. Usually those procedures included things such as Gestures, Incantations, expendable Foci, a required Skill Roll, and lots of Extra Time.

See Rules Questions - Steve puts us back to Limited Power for the specific build. So I am back to the same value as "Continuing Charges, costs END" with no requirement to make the power Constant. I see no compelling reason a continuing charge can't simply be placed on a power to make the power available to the character throughout the period of the Charge at no END cost. If it's Constant, you can turn it on and off during that period as if you had a Constant power without charges or END cost. If it's Instant, you have to keep using actions to keep activating it, just like if it was not a power with Charges.

(reads original posts again) Hugh, you didn't mention if you're the GM or the player. If you're the GM, do it however you like. If you're the player, run your power build as you like past the GM and if it's approved, it's good and nothing else needs to be said. Personally, I go with the flow on power builds and if it looks ok, I almost always aprove them as GM regardless of whether it's quite 100% rules legal. I'm there to have fun, not wrangle about powers.

I'm not the OP, so I'm assessing what I think would be a reasonable model for achieving the desired effect and pricing it, with an eye to that pricing model being portable to other constructs.  

I'm not sure I agree that having a power which is accessible for a limited period of time, during which it can be activated and deactivated at will, is so rare the system should not have a "go to" for its construction, so i find the discussion of how we should build the go to interesting.