54 replies to this topic

#41 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,821 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:33 PM

From 6e2 page 92:

+1 DAMAGE CLASS
Characters may improve their Martial Maneuvers by buying Extra Damage Classes. Each Extra DC adds one Damage Class to any Maneuver (such as Martial Strike, Killing Strike, or Martial Throw), or +5 STR to any Maneuver that grants extra STR for limited purposes (such as Martial Grab).
An Extra Damage Class adds to all of a character’s Martial Maneuvers — he doesn’t have to purchase Extra DCs maneuver by maneuver. Characters cannot purchase half an Extra DC, nor apply Limitations to Extra DCs. A character can choose not to use his Extra DCs if he wants to do less damage than normal.

From CC page 155:

EXTRA DAMAGE CLASS
Each Extra Damage Class adds one DC to any Martial Maneuver, or +5 STR to any Martial Maneuver that grants extra STR for limited purposes. An Extra Damage Class adds to all of a character’s Martial Maneuvers.

HM

• PhilFleischmann, Cantriped, Genma and 1 other like this

#42 Genma

Genma

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:15 PM

Just noticed that this has been brought before:

http://www.herogames...l-arts-and-str/

It just hadn't held this level of detail as this current thread has.
  • PhilFleischmann and Hyper-Man like this

#43 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 3,801 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:01 PM

Thanks HM! I'm wrong.
  • Hyper-Man likes this
The main object of the game is for the players and the GM to have fun. Champions 3rd ed. Pg 130

#44 steriaca

steriaca

Misspellian Master

• 4,450 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:13 AM

I was going off of faultie memory. The correct value is -1/4.
  • Hyper-Man likes this

Eather sent via Libary Computer or my cellphone. I do not own my own computer. Creator of bad spellings, and stuff both great and stuff only great inside my own mind. Warning: I may be published one day.

#45 PhilFleischmann

PhilFleischmann

Mad Scientist

• 2,793 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

Just noticed that this has been brought before:

http://www.herogames...l-arts-and-str/

It just hadn't held this level of detail as this current thread has.

Thanks!  For some reason, the archived threads don't seem to show up in searches.  (What's the point of an archive if you can't search it?)  I've tried searching for some of my old posts from years ago, which I can't find now, even though I know they must be here somewhere.

• Genma likes this
"Sir, you're mad with power!" "Of course I am. You ever try being mad *without* power? It's boring. Nobody listens to you."

#46 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,821 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:12 PM

I was going off of faultie memory. The correct value is -1/4.

You have to use the advanced search for more options.

edit - meant to quote Phil

HM

#47 GM Joe

GM Joe

• 715 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:45 PM

From 6e2 page 92:

From CC page 155:

HM

Exactly. And it's been that way since 4e, as the example on p 31 makes clear:

Example: Flying Lotus has a 20 STR and has bought a Martial Strike, a Martial Escape, and a Martial Dodge, for 12 Character Points. He also bought +3 DCs, for 12 Character Points. His Martial Strike now does STR + 2d6 + 3d6, for a total of 9d6. His Martial Escape gives him a STR (to get out of Grabs) of STR + 15 + 15 = 50. His Martial Dodge is unaffected by the DCs.

• Hyper-Man likes this

GMing since 1982.

#48 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,821 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:05 PM

Thanks!  For some reason, the archived threads don't seem to show up in searches.  (What's the point of an archive if you can't search it?)  I've tried searching for some of my old posts from years ago, which I can't find now, even though I know they must be here somewhere.

HM

#49 Derek Hiemforth

Derek Hiemforth

Champions Complete Rhino

• 10,061 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:12 PM

This might be another change in 6e, but in 5e and before, the extra DCs could only apply to one basis of the maneuver

Ah, you're right.  Sorry about that; it was in HSMA, and I missed it (I was just looking in CC/6E2).

You're also right about STR+ and STR-.  I was thinking they'd be okay together, because they're applying to different maneuver bases, but HSMA doesn't say anything about an exception to the "no STR+ and STR- together" rule for such a case.

Okay, I back off my position.  Extra DC is not necessarily the "best buy in the game."  It's still a good buy, but not unreasonably so.  :)

#50 Derek Hiemforth

Derek Hiemforth

Champions Complete Rhino

• 10,061 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:15 PM

Not if the game is balanced.  That's the whole point of HERO.  Nothing is supposed to be best.  Granted, it might never be perfect, but that doesn't mean we have to put up with an obvious imbalance.

Who said anything about an "obvious" imbalance?  I'm just saying that, barring the exceptionally unlikely event of a completely flawless system, something in the system will be the "best" buy in the game, even if only slightly.  :)

#51 PhilFleischmann

PhilFleischmann

Mad Scientist

• 2,793 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:05 PM

HM

Is there some additional trick to it I should know?  When I search on my own name, as author of a post, in the Archives, I get exactly 1 (one) post in Hero System Discussion, and exactly 1 (one) post in Champions, and exactly 1 (one) post in Fantasy Hero.  I used to be rather vocal on these boards, and I know I've posted a lot more than that.

"Sir, you're mad with power!" "Of course I am. You ever try being mad *without* power? It's boring. Nobody listens to you."

#52 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,821 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:37 PM

If you are already searching archived you probably need to choose specific topics.

HM

#53 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,821 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:42 PM

Otherwise your profile page might be the best place to start.

HM

#54 PhilFleischmann

PhilFleischmann

Mad Scientist

• 2,793 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:07 PM

My profile page doesn't show anything that's archived.

If I go to Advanced Search (the gear-shaped button next to the search box), put my name in the "Find Author" box, and leave everything else blank, it gives one result. Shouldn't it return all my posts?  If I restrict it to just the "Hero System Discussion" forum or "Champions" or "Fantasy Hero", the results are as I said above.  How do I find all the rest of the stuff I had posted here, way back when?

I've tried going through the archived pages "manually", one page at a time, one thread at a time, and I can see various posts I made and even threads I started, but for some reason, these don't come up in the search.  Why not?

#55 Cantriped

Cantriped

Heroic Magicat

• 1,475 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

Maybe the "By Author" field searches your "Content", which doesn't seem to display archived posts. The oldest post I found in Your Content is from the "Dimension travel in your games?" thread in the Fantasy Hero forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Martial Arts, 6th Edition