Telepathy and Alerting the Target

Deadman

Question

Hi Steve,

First let me say Thank You for continually supporting the game and answering our questions.  I don't think there are very many authors who do this and I want you to know that it is greatly appreciated.

Now, of course, I have a question.

If a Mentalist attacks a target with Telepathy and chooses to expand the effect by saying that he/she doesn't want the target to know (+20) is there a difference between the Level and the Effect?

Example: Mindmaster (Telepathy 10d6) wants information from HeroGuy (EGO 18, Mental Defense 10) and uses Telepathy to read his mind.  Mindmaster decides that he only needs to read surface thoughts but he doesn't want HeroGuy to know he is doing it so he chooses to add +20 to the Effect so that HeroGuy won't know anything is amiss.  Mindmaster rolls 37 points on his 10d6 and subtracts HeroGuy's Mental Defense for a total of 27 which would normally be enough to read HeroGuy's surface thoughts BUT Mindmaster didn't roll high enough to make it unnoticeable by HeroGuy (+20).  

Is HeroGuy alerted to the attack?  Or, because Mindmaster achieved the Level for surface thoughts but not the total effect he wanted, is HeroGuy unaware of the attempt?

My feeling is that the Level is adjusted by the Modifier and is therefore synonymous with the Effect.  Am I thinking about this correctly?

Thank you,

Tom

1 answer to this question

You seem to be thinking about it correctly. Either the entire attack succeeds, at the amount targeted, or it fails entirely.

But of course, that's just the rules as written. Mental abilities being weird things, some GMs may want to interpret it the other way to represent their personal views of how such things function in their campaigns. ;)