How to do Captain Famous Hero Guy's Magic Metal Sheild

indy523

OK, let's look at the math.

I could buy, let's say, a Multipower for my Blaster with 5 fixed slots of 12 DC (60 points) each. That will cost, assuming no limitations, 90 CP.

Or I buy the same 5 attack powers at 2 DC with this advantage, so 15 points for the pool + 5 for slots = 20. I have 70 points left over. I could pump them into my linked characteristic. A typical Blaster probably had a 23 - 25 CON. Let's say 25, so I tack on another 70 for 95, and my attacks are now 21 DC.

For sure that exceeds any rational DC cap, but I can just put another 25 in CON so it's 50, and I have the same 12 DC attacks, with 45 points left over compared to the conventional build.

hmmm...what if I trash the Multipower (now I have 65 points available), buy another 5 CON (60 points left), and buy the five Multipower slots as 1 DC plus advantage, for 7 points each? That leaves me 25 points (5 skill levels with my Blast powers, maybe?) and I can use all five at once as a Combined Attack (maybe not 5 skill levels - I have to buy up my END a bit :)).

Or we limit the adds to no more than double the base DCs. Now I have to put (45 points pool + 20 points slits) in that Multipower to get 6 DCs, and spend another 5 bumping my CON to 30. That way, I only save 5 points, but I still get +5 CON and 5 points to spend on other stuff.

This is a no brainer in a 12 DC game where I have at least one stat already at 30+. 45 points for a 12 DC attack is clearly a better deal than 60 points. It's really a character tax on anyone who doesn't use the advantage, or whose concept does not suggest a high stat.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are still paying for the characteristic though. Best case scenarios:

You are paying 7 CP for a 1d6 Blast with Strength To Damage (+1/2) (or 5 CP for a No Range Blast) and adding your base 10 Strength to it for a total of 3d6 Blast; gaining the equivalent of +8-10 "free" APs (Depending on Range).

A normal HA is still a slightly better deal since you pay 4 CP for +1d6 HA and add your base 10 Strength to it for a total of 3d6 HA; gaining the equivalent of +11 "free" APs (likewise HKA gets +10 "free" APs in this situation).

In either case, you are still going to be paying 5 or more CP for any additional DCs bought through Characteristics beyond that point, those additional DCs will simply have secondary benefits (such as Lift Capacity for Strength, or Stunned Threshold for Constitution). You are also going to paying the same amount of END you normally would have, since CON or EGO used to increase DCs costs END just like STR does (so 1/5 in Heroic games or 1/10 in Superheroic) 

I might decide to adjust the advantage values, or remove the advantages entirely after play-testing. But for the moment they don't seem any more abusive than game elements which already exist.

You are still paying for the characteristic though. Best case scenarios:

You are paying 7 CP for a 1d6 Blast with Strength To Damage (+1/2) (or 5 CP for a No Range Blast) and adding your base 10 Strength to it for a total of 3d6 Blast; gaining the equivalent of +8-10 "free" APs (Depending on Range).

A normal HA is still a slightly better deal since you pay 4 CP for +1d6 HA and add your base 10 Strength to it for a total of 3d6 HA; gaining the equivalent of +11 "free" APs

Not sure where you are getting 11. To my mind, you are saving 1 point per 1d6 of Hand Attack for giving up all of the other benefits +5 STR would have provided.

likewise HKA gets +10 "free" APs in this situation

HKA illustrates the problem. Why should anyone buy 10 STR and a 3.5d6 HKA to get 4d6+1 HKA, when instead he could buy 5 (1 DC) points of HKA and buy STR up to 60? Same points paid, but one gets all of the other advantages of 50 more STR for free.

In either case, you are still going to be paying 5 or more CP for any additional DCs bought through Characteristics beyond that point, those additional DCs will simply have secondary benefits (such as Lift Capacity for Strength, or Stunned Threshold for Constitution).

How many characters have 10 CON? They are buying it up anyway to avoid being stunned. If I already have a 30 EGO, why not just buy more, having invested the 5 points to add a +1/2 advantage to my Mental Blast? Spending an extra 30 points on EGO will now add 3d6 to my Mental Blast, where buying the Blast itself would only add 2d6 since it has a +1/2 advantage.

And therein lies the problem - you pay more points for the attack the more dice you add to it, but the benefits of the advantage do not scale up - you are still adding the same number of DCs as the stat has not changed, whether you paid 5 points to put the advantage on a 10 point power, or 25 points to add it to a 50 point power. So, if you have a stat of 30, would you rather use it to add 6d6 by paying 5 points, or by paying 25 points? Better to pay the 5 points and invest the extra 20 into the characteristic, gaining all the benefits of the characteristic for no cost.

END stays the same so no win - but no loss either. As well, in my example of buying 5 attack powers I can use as a Combined Attack, note that the rules require spending END for STR only once in a phase, so I can spend the END once to add my stat to all five attacks if it works like STR.

Not sure where you are getting 11. To my mind, you are saving 1 point per 1d6 of Hand Attack for giving up all of the other benefits +5 STR would have provided.

HA costs 4 CP per DC (due to the Mandatory Limitation), and after adding your default STR (of 10) you end up with a 3 DC (15 APs) Attack that only costs 4 CP (and 2-3 END). Ergo +11 "free" APs.

HKA illustrates the problem. Why should anyone buy 10 STR and a 3.5d6 HKA to get 4d6+1 HKA, when instead he could buy 5 (1 DC) points of HKA and buy STR up to 60? Same points paid, but one gets all of the other advantages of 50 more STR for free.

Irrelevent to my analysis. That is a balance issue inherent to the core rules. It exists regardless of whether or not my Modifier exists. All my modifier does it level the playing field by extending the same benefits to any Attack Power.

How many characters have 10 CON?

Also Irrelevant to my analysis. Any Characteristics above default are still being paid for with CP (and with END in use). All that matters for the purposes of my balance analysis is how many APs are being generated "for free" as a result of the modifier.

And therein lies the problem - you pay more points for the attack the more dice you add to it, but the benefits of the advantage do not scale up - you are still adding the same number of DCs as the stat has not changed, whether you paid 5 points to put the advantage on a 10 point power, or 25 points to add it to a 50 point power. So, if you have a stat of 30, would you rather use it to add 6d6 by paying 5 points, or by paying 25 points? Better to pay the 5 points and invest the extra 20 into the characteristic, gaining all the benefits of the characteristic for no cost.

This is a legitimate concern. Do you think it would be better balanced as an Adder then (one worth +10 CP perhaps)?

Doing so would compensate for the "free APs" being generated on powers like Blast, and it's value still wouldn't be included in the special calculation for Added DCs, but it would (slightly) increase the cost of applying other Advantages (even ones that Extra DCs aren't calculated against).

END stays the same so no win - but no loss either. As well, in my example of buying 5 attack powers I can use as a Combined Attack, note that the rules require spending END for STR only once in a phase, so I can spend the END once to add my stat to all five attacks if it works like STR.

Once again irrelevant to my analysis. This is an issue inherent to the core ruleset not my modifier. You can already produce the same results with multiple Linked HAs/HKAs less expensively.

IIRC there was a Rules Question posited to Steve a while back about the END Cost of STR when applied to Combined or Linked HA/HKAs... but I couldn't find it nor can I remember what the answer was.

HA costs 4 CP per DC (due to the Mandatory Limitation), and after adding your default STR (of 10) you end up with a 3 DC (15 APs) Attack that only costs 4 CP (and 2-3 END). Ergo +11 "free" APs.

You already had a 2d6 HA from your initial 10 STR, so you only added 1d6 for 4 points, not 3d6.

Irrelevent to my analysis. That is a balance issue inherent to the core rules. It exists regardless of whether or not my Modifier exists. All my modifier does it level the playing field by extending the same benefits to any Attack Power.

Both any attack power and a wider array of characteristics. It is only the HKA where this issue presently exists, in my view. HA is simply limited STR, no different than adding +4d6 to a Blast and limiting it with No Range would allow you to use a more potent blast, but only if the target is in HTH.

This is a legitimate concern. Do you think it would be better balanced as an Adder then (one worth +10 CP perhaps)?

It would be best balanced as an adder at a cost equal to the cost of the added DC's, perhaps with the addition of a limitation that the attack is drained at the same rate as the related characteristic. If you price it as a 10 point adder, it is dirt cheap for a character with a score of 60 in the relevant stat. Price it at 30 and it is far overpriced for someone with a stat of 13 and a bargain for someone with a stat of 50.

The existence of a balance problem does not, IMO, create a compelling need to exacerbate that problem with a house rule, but rather an incentive to reduce or eliminate that problem with a house rule.

You already had a 2d6 HA from your initial 10 STR, so you only added 1d6 for 4 points, not 3d6.

I was calculating from the perspective of HA as the base power (compared to a character using No Range Blast for example). Regardless your initial 10 points of STR is still "10 free APs of HA" if you look at HA as "simply limited STR".

Both any attack power and a wider array of characteristics. It is only the HKA where this issue presently exists, in my view. HA is simply limited STR, no different than adding +4d6 to a Blast and limiting it with No Range would allow you to use a more potent blast, but only if the target is in HTH.

Except that a No Range Blast actually costs more than HA or equal dice; at least 25% more even sans Characteristic To Damage. So they aren't, in terms of cost, in any way the same.

It would be best balanced as an adder at a cost equal to the cost of the added DC's, perhaps with the addition of a limitation that the attack is drained at the same rate as the related characteristic. If you price it as a 10 point adder, it is dirt cheap for a character with a score of 60 in the relevant stat. Price it at 30 and it is far overpriced for someone with a stat of 13 and a bargain for someone with a stat of 50.

As a 10-point adder, It is only "dirt cheap" if you willfully ignore the 50+ points the character has already spent to have a 60 in the given Characteristic that might instead have been better spent almost anywhere else. As a 10-point Adder, you basically aren't getting any "Free APs" out of using a CON To Damage Blast (instead of just buying more Blast).

It doesn't need a clause regarding Drains because you already can't add a Characteristic you don't have (because it was drained) to the DCs of an ability, nor can you add said characteristic to the ability at all if someone drains all of it.

Anyway, like I said above. I may revise or remove the modifier from my project after I've had an opportunity to playtest it appropriately. It isn't going into one of my projects slated for publication anytime soon anyway. However, I do appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinions even if we disagree, and I will bear them in mind during said playtests.

I was calculating from the perspective of HA as the base power (compared to a character using No Range Blast for example). Regardless your initial 10 points of STR is still "10 free APs of HA" if you look at HA as "simply limited STR".

Yes, everyone starts with 2d6 of HA due to base STR. I don't see any practical way around that, short of starting everyone with stats of 0, adding the cost of standard starting stats to base points and saying "build from the ground up - a standard human looks like this [8s across the board normal] and a competent one looks like that [10s across the board current starting stats".

Except that a No Range Blast actually costs more than HA or equal dice; at least 25% more even sans Characteristic To Damage. So they aren't, in terms of cost, in any way the same.

Again, this depends on STR. 12d6 Blast, No Range costs 40 points and can be spread to trade off damage for OCV. Technically, HA should as well if it is actually Blast rather than limited STR, but it should then, under your model, be purchased as Blast, STR Adds (+1/2), No Range (-1/2), for a net cost of 5 per DC.

Anyway, 12d6 Blast, no Range costs 40 points.

10d6 Hand Attack costs the same 40 points (at the standard -1/4 limitation) if you start with a 10 STR, or 8 points if you have a 50 STR (so you spent a total of 48). Practically, why bother with Hand Attack when you can just buy STR, and get more benefits. Make it STR, only adds to combat effects, and you get Grabs, Holds, Escapes, etc. as well. Frankly, that -1/4 limitation is another example of cheaping out on limitation values.

As a 10-point adder, It is only "dirt cheap" if you willfully ignore the 50+ points the character has already spent to have a 60 in the given Characteristic that might instead have been better spent almost anywhere else. As a 10-point Adder, you basically aren't getting any "Free APs" out of using a CON To Damage Blast (instead of just buying more Blast).

Ignoring the 50+ points already spent to have a 60 in the given characteristic is appropriate only if those extra points in the characteristic did not already provide value. No one is building a 10 CON Super without access to this option, so the points that would be spent on CON anyway are a sunk cost. If you price "CON adds to DCs" as a 10 point adder, there is no reason that anyone should ever NOT pay 10 points to add 4 or more DC's rather than paying the usual cost of those extra DCs by buying up the power.

That sure makes a CON drain (maybe enhanced by CON) a great choice for such a game - invest some of the points you save in Power Defense!

Anyway, like I said above. I may revise or remove the modifier from my project after I've had an opportunity to playtest it appropriately. It isn't going into one of my projects slated for publication anytime soon anyway. However, I do appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinions even if we disagree, and I will bear them in mind during said playtests.

Not exactly a playtest, but a decent test. Pick a dozen or so characters from the genre you are looking at (for Supers, I suggest one typical team, one or two Master Villains, and fill out with cannon fodder villains of various power levels). Rebuild each one applying your adder or advantage to their attack powers, based on the best stat they can select from those they have already purchased in the absence of this option. That will demonstrate how often this choice would not be optimal.

If a VIPER agent would be cheaper using a stat-enhanced blaster pistol, I suggest the pricing is indeed dirt cheap.

BTW, the next logical question would be "Why limit this to one stat?"

To bring this back a bit towards the initial topic, when Cap hurls his mighty shield, doesn't he back it with muscle (STR), agility (DEX) and knowledge of pressure points (INT) to strike hard with pinpoint accuracy where the hit will be most effective in order to maximize his damage?

Surprised no one has yet mentioned the rule for Bouncing attacks. That's how I used to do it for a character with shield flinging back in the day - give them a bunch of combat skill levels with the EB and let them bounce it off a wall, off the target and back to their hand (for an OAF version).

An AE to simulate talking out multiple mooks with one throw (as per the Questonite Shield in CC) just seems overkill IMHO. Spreading the Blast works fine for that. The special effect that allows spreading of a ranged attack in this case is quite clear. 

Likewise, the "cover your eyes" part of that multipower is just plain silly. Doesn't everyone have that "power" against regular sight flash attacks they're alerted to? Definitely a case of special effects are all you need to deal with the situation. Or should we now be buying our flash grenades with the limitation "not if the target is looking in the other direction or is blind -1/2"?

And now that Blocking covers missile deflection, I'm not even convinced you need armour for it at all. Try this simple approach:

+4d6 HA, Range Based on STR (+1/4) Hand to Hand Attack (-1/4), OIF Unbreakable (-1/2). 14 points. 

The special effect of it being a perfectly balanced indestructable disk covers Bouncing, Spreading to hit multiple targets and Blocking any attack, ranged or otherwise. Likewise, you can't normally block an AE unless the GM agrees the special effects allow it. In this case it would make sense to allow Cap to Block a directional Flash as well as a hail of flechettes moving towards him by crouching behind the shield, but a gas attack, telekinetic grab or such would be unblockable. 

Combat Skill Levels and Martial Arts with the shield as a weapons element pretty much cover what I see Cap doing in combat. Martial Block and Dodge are a given, but an Offensive Strike coming in at STR+8d6 is pretty hefty. 

EDIT: You could buy some CSLs as part of the shield itself, too, to represent just how perfect a throwing weapon it is. Mostly it's Cap, though. Winter Soldier won't be as good with it if he catches it (Held Grab, allowed for because of his metal arm. The special effect of it being a thrown shield doesn't ALWAYS work in Cap's favour...)

Likewise, the "cover your eyes" part of that multipower is just plain silly. Doesn't everyone have that "power" against regular sight flash attacks they're alerted to? Or should we now be buying our flash grenades with the limitation "not if the target is looking in the other direction or is blind -1/2"?

One can quibble whether being blind means the Flash does not affect the target, or simply fails to worsen an existing condition. I don't work out the damage when a 15d6 Blast hiting a target already at -75 (GM option) STUN either.

I am unclear how the target closing his eyes or looking the other way prevents my Tear Gas grenade, webbing over his eyes or temporary mental paralysis of his optic nerve from temporarily blinding him.

One can quibble whether being blind means the Flash does not affect the target, or simply fails to worsen an existing condition. I don't work out the damage when a 15d6 Blast hiting a target already at -75 (GM option) STUN either.

I am unclear how the target closing his eyes or looking the other way prevents my Tear Gas grenade, webbing over his eyes or temporary mental paralysis of his optic nerve from temporarily blinding him.

I am unclear on why my character with 5 Life Support (Immunity: All terrestrial poisons) would be affected by Tear Gas built as a Flash and why webbing over the eyes would not be better represented as an Entangle with Stops A Given Sense Normal Sight (which could be blocked or deflected).  Also, mental paralysis of the optic nerve certainly suggests that normal Flash Defense would not be a Defense by itself meaning a Flash based build would need further Advantages to match the special effect.

HM

It doesn't. THAT's the point. The special effect of the Flash in question (bright light, tear gas, hypnotic suggestion, poke in the eye etc) always needs to be taken into account, just like it has to be for any power. That's been a core concept in HERO right back to 1st edition Champions. Also, both those types of flash should bypass normal Flash Defense. Tear gas is usually NND (vs Life support, +1 advantage) and mental paralyisis would be AVAD (Mental Defense), though as Flash and Mental are the same level of rarity, that one is cost neutral.

If the Special Effect provides too good a benefit, it needs points spent. Likewise if a drawback is too common, it's worth a limitation.

And keep in mind ANY block of a ranged attack is at the GM's discretion. Sometimes using the shield or turning to look away from an incoming Flash is usually going to require some warning of it. An OAF flash grenade would be no real surprise, but a sudden beam of light from a character that had never done that before would be. I'd let Cap abort to block the former (either hiding behind the shield or by deflecting it) but not the latter. 

In any case, the flash defense one is a side issue to my main point, which was that the existing rules for Spreading, Blocking and Bouncing backed up by Martial Arts and CSLs can cover Cap's shield use without the use of messy multipowers.

I know the OP was asking about 5e but I was bored and decided to make a 6e version of the shield.

65    The Shield By Whammo! update for 6e: Variable Power Pool, 42 base + 75 control cost, No Skill Roll Required (+1), Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero-Phase Action (+1) (154 Active Points); Shield Based Powers Only Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (-2); all slots OIF Unbreakable (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Characteristic roll, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier OR Skill roll, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier; Must be made each Phase/use, Can choose which of two rolls to make from use to use; -1/2), Unified Power (-1/4)

[Notes: The list of abilites below allow 2 slots to be used simultaneously. However, these are only examples and not intended to be an exclusive list. Other ability constructions that fit within "The Shield" special effect could be created and used without changing the overall cost of the Framework if approved by the GM.  ] - END=
0    1) Deflect!: Deflection, No Range Modifier (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Difficult To Dispel (x8 Active Points; +3/4), Indirect (Source Point can vary from use to use, path can change with every use; +1) (75 Active Points); Lockout (Only If Thrown AND the attack misses OR is Blocked/Deflected; -1/2), Range Based On STR (-1/4) Real Cost: 21 - END=0
0    2) Reflect!: Reflection (75 Active Points' worth), Any Target (+1/2) (75 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) Real Cost: 21 - END=7
0    3) Passive Defense: Resistant Protection (10 PD/10 ED), Impenetrable (+3/4), Hardened (x3; +3/4) (75 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) Real Cost: 21 - END=14
0    4) Full Defense: Barrier 12 PD/12 ED/2 Flash Defense:  Sight Group, 6 BODY (up to 1m long, 1m tall, and 1/2m thick), Opaque Sight Group, Hardened (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Costs Endurance (to maintain; -1/2), Restricted Shape (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) Real Cost: 20 [Notes: Functions as Knockback Defense.] - END=7
0    5) Smash!: HA +4d6, Personal Immunity (Only To Counter Damage Shield Special Effects; +1/4), Area Of Effect Accurate (4m Radius; 6e damage prorating rules mean that STR and Manuever Damage adds at 1/2 the normal rate (10 STR adds +1D6, Move By adds +1D6 per 20m); +1/2), Double Knockback (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Indirect (Source Point can vary from use to use, path can change with every use; To Counter Damage Shield Special Effects - Also Allows Use With Barrier; +1) (75 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4), Can Be Deflected (Blocked) (-1/4), Inaccurate (1/2 OCV; vs a 0 DCV due to AOE Accurate; -1/4) Real Cost: 21 - END=0
0    6) Frisbee Smash!: Blast 10d6, Indirect (Source Point is the Character, path can change with every use; +1/2) (75 Active Points); Lockout (Only IF Thrown AND the attack misses OR is Blocked/Deflected.; -1/2), Range Based On STR (-1/4) Real Cost: 21 - END=7
0    7) Slice!: HKA 1d6 (1d6+1 w/STR), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Range Based On STR (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Armor Piercing (x2; +1/2), Area Of Effect Accurate (4m Radius; +1/2), Indirect (Source Point can vary from use to use, path can change with every use; +1), Penetrating (x2; +1) (75 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4) Real Cost: 21

[Notes: 6e damage prorating rules mean that STR and Manuever Damage adds at 1/3rd the normal rate (30 STR adds +2DC, Move By adds +1DC per 30m).] - END=0

:)

HM

I am unclear on why my character with 5 Life Support (Immunity: All terrestrial poisons) would be affected by Tear Gas built as a Flash

For the same reason that a character with Life Support enabling him to survive in the frigid vacuum of space is affected by Captain Cold's Freeze Gun. Life Support provides no defense against attacks. Does your 5 Life Support (Immunity: All terrestrial poisons) mean you are unaffected by acids which irritate/injure flesh? Tear gas irritates the eyes - you don't need to inhale to be affected.

and why webbing over the eyes would not be better represented as an Entangle with Stops A Given Sense Normal Sight (which could be blocked or deflected).

Which would also immobilize the target and prevent use of accessible foci, neither of which seems accurate in simulating webs covering only the eyes.

Also, mental paralysis of the optic nerve certainly suggests that normal Flash Defense would not be a Defense by itself meaning a Flash based build would need further Advantages to match the special effect.

Now we get into the SFX of "normal flash defense", don't we? This is a never-ending spiral of various attack and defense SFX.

I think this thread illustrates why campaigns need agreement between the GM and Players on how certain special effects function mechanically.

I tend to agree - and I stress "agreement". How many GMs would accept Danger Sense as a "Spider Power" had Stan Lee not tossed Peter Parker a "Spider-Sense"? How often would mechanical web shooters be challenged on the same character? Too often, the GM wants to impose his own vision on the one character in the campaign which the player is supposed to create.

And keep in mind ANY block of a ranged attack is at the GM's discretion. Sometimes using the shield or turning to look away from an incoming Flash is usually going to require some warning of it. An OAF flash grenade would be no real surprise, but a sudden beam of light from a character that had never done that before would be. I'd let Cap abort to block the former (either hiding behind the shield or by deflecting it) but not the latter.

How does he know that's a Flash Grenade, and not a Knockout Gas Grenade, before he decides whether to Block? Hiding behind the shield is unlikely to provide much protection from poison gas. While he is hiding behind the shield, can a second opponent get a sneak attack in? He's blocking off his vision in hopes of not being blinded by a bright light, but that should also mean he can't see an incoming energy blast.

For your evaluation, consider the Captain America fight scene in the elevator.

Undisputed Focus qualities displayed:

• Obvious: It's a shield.
  • Durable or Unbreakable: It survives falling damage without a scratch.

Possible Focus qualities displayed:

• Inaccessible: No opponents target or take the shield.
  • Personal: No opponents pick up and use the shield.

Possible Limitations displayed:

• Extra time: Captain America takes a phase to kick the shield into his hands, but perhaps that's just a PRE attack for the guys watching on camera.
  • Restrainable: Captain America cannot use the shield while being grappled.

Possible Limitations I would rule out:

• Activation roll: The shield may not offer protection from all directions, but no opponent ever targets an unprotected area or shoots him from behind. 
  • Lockout: The shield may not offer protection when used offensively, but no opponent ever targets him while he's attacking.

I think most of that is Cap's level of skills like Defense Maneuver, choice to not use the shield (it's not clear in the MCU on whether or not it would protect against electrical attacks) and the fact that he was up against what was just agent level opposition in that scene.  It was already established in the previous film that Bucky/Winter Soldier can Block/Grab the shield when thrown by Cap.  Most other scenes where Cap throws the shield with out being attacked is his incredible timing (If a PC in a game his Player would be allowed to game the Speed Chart) and skill with using it.  Thanks for the reminder to add a slot to cover falling (which is something only possible with the Vibranium backup he used in the comics, not his original unique one that is actually supposed to be tougher than Adamantium or Vibranium).

:)

HM

Here are additional slots to my previous build:

0    8) Full Defense v2: (Total: 74 Active Cost, 20 Real Cost) Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%, Hardened (+1/4) (37 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2), Nonpersistent (-1/4) (Real Cost: 10) plus Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%, Hardened (+1/4) (37 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2), Nonpersistent (-1/4) (Real Cost: 10) Real Cost: 20

[Notes: This represents the classic Earth 616 version of the shield.] - END=0
0    9) Fall From Any Height: Leaping 120m, Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Ubiquitous Circumstances (Only to stop falling damage; -2) Real Cost: 16

[Notes: This represents the Vibranium versions of the shield shown in Earth 616 and the MCU.] - END=6

HM

How does he know that's a Flash Grenade, and not a Knockout Gas Grenade, before he decides whether to Block? Hiding behind the shield is unlikely to provide much protection from poison gas. While he is hiding behind the shield, can a second opponent get a sneak attack in? He's blocking off his vision in hopes of not being blinded by a bright light, but that should also mean he can't see an incoming energy blast.

He doesn't. The GM has no obligation to telegraph that to a player.

eg. Grenadier throws a bomb in front of Captain Shield, who aborts to block it by crouching behind his shield. If it happens to be HE or bright light Flash he should be okay. But if it's nerve gas, he may be in trouble, and if it's smoke he's just wasted a phase.

@Hyper-Man, if you want another trick to add, I've seen Cap clamp the shield over an explosive to protect everyone. But honestly, everyone is meant to be able to do clever things with their powers with GM permission. That one in particular could be Dive for Cover to protect someone else (RAW). Any character with sufficient defences can get away with the throwing themselves on a grenade thing, after all.

Most other scenes where Cap throws the shield with out being attacked is his incredible timing (If a PC in a game his Player would be allowed to game the Speed Chart) and skill with using it.

Like most things, the effect can be simulated in multiple ways. In Avengers, Cap did get shot once in that big battle, so his shield did not protect him then. OTOH, it seems to be there virtually whenever he needs it, so I don't see it as just speed chart manipulation.

The various shield uses are another example of how longstanding characters (and experienced Hero characters) "grow into" a VPP because they simply do too many things with their power suite to be economical any other way. That, or beef up the Power Skill big time!

Cantriped, of 7p of CC says that HA cannot take ranged advantage. Now this could be different in FHC as in 5th HA was allowed to take ranged only in Heroic level games. Weird, yes it is.

HA specifically can't take Ranged, but Range Based on STR is a different advantage and is allowed for HA.

Range based on STR is listed under Range Advantages and Range Limitations.  The 6e text says the following:

A character may not apply the AdvantageRanged to an HA (except possibly when building throwable HTH Combat weapons in Heroic campaigns). To build such an attack, use Blast with the Range Based On Strength Limitation (and other Limitations, as appropriate), or buy the weapon as a normal HTH Combat weapon and use the Throw Combat Maneuver to inflict damage with it as a thrown object.

So no, you cannot legally apply Range Based on STR to a Hand to Hand Attack.