Looking for an Online Group

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 TroyC

TroyC

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

I have a great deal of experience with Champions, and have played a number of characters across the spectrum. I haven't played in a number of years since moving, and am hoping to join an online group because that would negate travel issues and such. I have a webcam and a headset, so communication would not be an issue. I'm more than happy to talk with the GM beforehand about what characters are already in the group and what might be needed.

I'm on Pacific Time and would have the easiest time getting together Tuesdays after 5 or Sundays up until 9, but other times are not out of the question if I know ahead of time.

#2 TroyC

TroyC

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:53 PM

I also would be interested in an in-person group in the East Bay Area (California)

• Khymeria likes this

#3 Era Scarecrow

Era Scarecrow

Anime Addict

• 74 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

I'm also looking for some type of group or game to play in. Not sure about connectivity yet.

edit: TZ is PST

#4 Doctor Zen

Doctor Zen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

I would be interested in playing online.

Time Zone: EDT

They were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Naturally they became heroes.

#5 Crusher Bob

Crusher Bob

Standard Hero

• 179 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:08 PM

Would be willing to play online as well. Alas, GMs seem to be lacking.

#6 Sir Ra

Sir Ra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:32 PM

Count me in.....

#7 Era Scarecrow

Era Scarecrow

Anime Addict

• 74 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

Alas, GMs seem to be lacking.

I'm probably not a good choice for a GM... although i could give it a try...

#8 Crusher Bob

Crusher Bob

Standard Hero

• 179 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:33 PM

Well, what sort of setting would everyone be interested in?

For character creation, I'd recommend something like the balancing rules found here

Did anyone already have a character idea? need help doing character creation?

#9 Doctor Zen

Doctor Zen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:50 PM

Maybe we should all help in the world building with a possible eye toward rotating GMs. if the game lasts that long. Then there may be a possibility that everyone can play at some point. My first question would be what types of criminal organizations exist? I think it is always good to have at least one bad guy group on your tail or whom you are looking to bring down, or both.

Second, real city (New York) or fictitious city (Hudson City)?

Finally, should we try to balance the group by archetypes?

I have no specific character type in mind at the moment.

Should we move this to another thread?

#10 Era Scarecrow

Era Scarecrow

Anime Addict

• 74 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:27 PM

I'm inspired both by anime and original ideas. So either something bleach-like (weapon that has multiple forms)

Or the Zodiac Ninja (transforms into animal or costumed of 1 of 12 animals of the zodiac). Not sure about the bonuses or if it is just going to be cosmetic yet... was thinking of making 2 tables/pools of powers (4&3) and finding a way to combine them so when randomly rolled I'd get one of the animals. Although with the third way with the elemental aspect of it, might have a 3rd table/pool...

I'll look over the house rules, looks good and informative.

As for setting...  4-color comic-book hero type (powers) or scifi (technology/equipment) would both be fine. Not sure, I could adapt or make a character once a theme/setting is decided on. Actually One Punch Man idea/theme would work too...

#11 Doctor Zen

Doctor Zen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

For character creation, I'd recommend something like the balancing rules found here

I prefer either a Golden Age or Silver/Bronze Age setting. I can do other settings, but these are the ones I prefer.

#12 Crusher Bob

Crusher Bob

Standard Hero

• 179 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:57 AM

Hmm, think I would prefer something like 'counter-revolutionary bronze age" or whatever you'd call stuff like Astro city and the 'first' Spider Man and Iron Man movies. Bronze age with some attention of social awareness, but without the baroque serial killer vibes that tended to infest late bronze age and iron age stuff.

#13 Doc Democracy

Doc Democracy

Freedom Fighter

• 4,663 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:31 AM

I am not looking to get involved but the desires for genre are important. I struggled with this in one of my groups. What worked was coming up with a multiverse, the same heroes with slightly different versions to adapt to the different worlds. That way the heroes were consistent but all the GMs got to run the kind of games that inspired them

Might not work for you guys but thought I would offer it up as you were coalescing your group.

Doc

"A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a sh**house wall
But before I die I'll add my regal scrawl
To show the world I'm left with sweet f*** all"
- Shane McGowan, Sea Shanty

#14 Crusher Bob

Crusher Bob

Standard Hero

• 179 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:02 PM

And here's my two proposed characters:

Hadaly
Spoiler

Details
Spoiler

And

Galatea
Spoiler

Details
Spoiler

Will see which one fits together better with the ideas of the other players.

#15 Khymeria

Khymeria

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

I'm in San Francisco and am looking for a regular group to play with. Don't mind some driving.

#16 Doctor Zen

Doctor Zen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:04 PM

They look like interesting characters in a way. I guess I am just being dense. How do you see either of them in action. Both of them to me seem very powerful with little or no weaknesses and not much need for teammates.

I have not played Champions in years (decades) so I am not used to so many points in a starting character. I think the last time I played Champions was shortly after 4th Edition came out.

#17 Khymeria

Khymeria

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:22 PM

I would be interested in joining an online game. I read something about world building and rotating GMs. Those sound good to me. I definitely like four color genre. It allows for the most creativity in character building.

#18 Crusher Bob

Crusher Bob

Standard Hero

• 179 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:14 PM

They are both built to follow the balance rules in the outline I linked earlier:

(Following the balance suggestions) The average hero has:
DC 10
CV 7
Def 25
SPD 5

And your hero is allowed to be 'one up' in total.

So, for example, you could have a brick:
DC 12 (high)
CV 7 (average)
Def 30 (high)
SPD 4 (low)

And still be a 'legal' character.

Or if you want a speedster:
DC 10 (medium)
CV 9 (high)
Def 20 (low)
SPD 6 (high)

would also be valid.

This 'forced trade off' style system works better than a simple campaign caps system because its usually too easy to be at all of the caps, instead of just some of them. And that means that either some characters are just outright weaker than others, or they are all the same, and thus less interesting.

--------------

400 points is the 'standard' champions character, and seems to produce characters around as powerful as, I dunno, Spider Man, Captain America, and maybe the Teen Titans.

--------------

But in general, every hero should be able to answer:

How do you find out about crime to stop?
Really, a hero should have some ability to 'investigate' beyond just patrolling and hoping to run into something interesting. (Unless you make ridiculous luck while patrolling your investigative ability, I guess.)

How to you get to where the crime is?
Especially with how big American cities are, your hero needs to be able to get around pretty quickly. The original Pulsar (Champions 1 or 2?) who had to take a cab to rob the bank was a fun example of what not to do, but in a well rounded hero, not so much. If your hero has to get across town to suddenly respond to a crime, and that crime is, say 15 miles away, that's at least 15 minutes by car, and there is going to probably going to be traffic and explosions and stuff that make your response time even longer. So really, you are looking at something like 30 minutes to get there. Plus a few minutes to get yourself organized to go, and a few minutes to get organized once you get to the scene of the crime. And things are probably long over unless it's a hostage situation, or something. And we don't want to always have to deal with the bad guys holed up somewhere and holding hostages.

So, short version, your hero should be able to travel at least as fast as a car that ignores traffic.

Of course, if all your characters are built as a team, then you can pool together to make a teleporter back at your base or something that handles this type of mobility, but even then, you should not have to hail a cab if your teleporter is broken.

What sort of stuff do you do outside of costume?
Your superhero game should not just be investigative or tactical situations for costumed heroes. So your character should have some interesting stuff going in their secret ID, or some drama with their public ID, or whatever. In addition, they should have some skills other than being a ninja investigator and punching people in the face.

Built in weakness(es)
Your hero should probably have a build in weak area, beyond the balance rules like 'only 2/3 of (Power defense, flash defense, mental defense' found in the balance rules. Even if you don't have any other reason, this gives you a reason to team up with other people.

---------------

And as examples of 'stuff' other characters could add to a team consisting of both Galatea and Hadaly:
Explicit ties to police and law enforcement
Wider scientific background and more 'science' contacts
Magical background, if magic is going to be a thing
Physical/forensic investigative ability
Long range communication and coordination (mink link, teleportation gates, long range surveillance, etc)
Special senses (xray vision, bloodhound smell, mind scan, etc)
And so on...

There are many things that could be added to a team of those two. But your character has to have some ability beyond 'punch people in the face'

#19 Doctor Zen

Doctor Zen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

They are both built to follow the balance rules in the outline I linked earlier:

Yes. I read the balance rules and found them quite interesting. What I was asking is what role do you see them playing? It ;looks like Galatea could be a Controller. I am not sure what Hadaly is. Tank? Defender? I really miss City of Heroes.

#20 Era Scarecrow

Era Scarecrow

Anime Addict

• 74 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:12 PM

How to you get to where the crime is?
<snip>
say 15 miles away, that's at least 15 minutes by car

Hmm I was wondering about this. Would a low movement with megascale be allowed? That could simulate a very fast run/fly/teleport while in noncombat, but is useless once you get close enough to the fight?

So km megascale gives you +1 modifier, so 2m+MS costs 4 points, you could (w/2 SPD noncombat) move 4km per 12 seconds, and be in the vicinity of the crimescene 15 miles away in 72 seconds.

Could also be great as the 'running away really fast' power