TroyC

Looking for an Online Group

Team scope, meaning on what scale the characters act on. For example, Batman in his own books is mostly a local character. If it doesn't happen inside of Gotham city, Batman probably isn't involved.

On the other hand, the JLA is national/international/interstellar/interdimensional in scope. They go everywhere and get into everything.

So, for example, the local Batman has a 'contact: Jim Gordon' because knows the police commissioner of Gotham city when you almost solely operate in Gotham city is very important. But JLA Batman probably doesn't, because knowing Jim Gordon when you have to deal with a coup in some European nation one day, then dinosaurs taking over the Australian outback, then storming Apokolips the next day render Jim Gordon kinda unimportant.

So team scope should govern things like your contacts, fringe benefits, methods of available transportation, and so on.

For the example characters:

The A-Team is mostly local in scope:

Athenian is a member of the city council (fringe benefit) and has contacts all throughout the local police.

Arachne is technically a high school student.

Aspirant as a license to teach high school, of all things (fringe benefit)

Aphelion also teaching at a high school.

The Inhumans are a more national team:

Galatea doesn't even really have an address, so she isn't bothered by having to leave 'home'.

Hadaly knows a lot of people where money and political office intersect.

Pooka knows a lot of reporters (who get everywhere) and a lot of homeless people (everywhere)

Focal has contacts in the FBI and NASA.

So even though they are both teams of 400 point heroes, the scope the Inhumans tend to operate on is bigger.

Now is the team being brought together on or off screen, or are they established? Does a branch of the government have oversight in exchange for resources? City scale is a good start point. Lots of the above doesn't come into play. Easy to start the game of everybody arriving if team dynamic isn't established.

I like the idea of a local/regional team. I'm a fan of marvel, so something similar to the FF, X-Men, Avengers. All of them have a starting point as being more local.

The idea of a big brother coordinator helps get the game moving (FBI, CIA, Shield, or whatever you want to call it)

The team being already establish would also help the game get moving. I've seen too many games get side tracked for hours from the one person saying "well maybe I don't trust these people and go do my own thing anyway". To act as a team should already be established.

I agree with the start at the city level and organically grow.  Maybe the occasional foray outside of local, say a alien craft comes and either kidnaps us or asks for our help.

I'm neutral about whether we start together or come together organically through the plot.

If you mostly want a local scope, then the 'local' bit either needs to be big enough to contain enough interesting stuff (i.e. New York, LA, Chicago), or have 'something' that draws interesting stuff to the city, or something that makes interesting stuff (e.g. hellmouth, (the only) space elevator, whatever is in the water in Gotham, national capital, etc) or some combination of everything.

Setting things in New York is somewhat the easiest, both because it has so much population and cultural significance. But for the heroes to be 'pretty important' to New York almost makes them pretty big fish nationally too.

Did anyone have a smaller city they liked?

Or some idea about how they would like a smaller city to be made 'more interesting'?

New York sounds like a good place to start. A lot of things happen there; between people, politics, commerce, & crime. At the 400 pts character level we would not be taking on the average street thug so we need a big city to keep a group busy.

Team scope, meaning on what scale the characters act on. For example, Batman in his own books is mostly a local character. If it doesn't happen inside of Gotham city, Batman probably isn't involved.

On the other hand, the JLA is national/international/interstellar/interdimensional in scope. They go everywhere and get into everything.

Local then. Planning international would probably require a little more planning than what local superheros would do, including extra languages (ex: get sent to France only no one speaks French...) skills, underwater, etc... growing into the larger scene later would be easier. Not to mention movement alone requires planning as a group vs being a rag-tag group that may or may not have actually joined yet.

Inter-dimensional seems easier, you just have a gate, although that doesn't really help much probably...

To act as a team should already be established.

Or at least mutual acquaintances who want to do 'good' in general, and won't step on eachother's toes. Not sure if they'd have matching uniforms and be like the X-men or Fantastic Four or the like.

Or some idea about how they would like a smaller city to be made 'more interesting'?

While NYC would certainly work, and allow fights on skyscrapers and tall buildings, the ground and everywhere in between, somewhere that's more a tourist area seems like it would have more interesting situations, so an area with nearby theme parks as well which would get involved, not to say we couldn't go to a mission in another state/location...

To note i don't know what NYC is like so i could just be blowing hot air...

The problem with (original) fully fictional cities as settings is the players aren't immediately emotionally invested in the setting.

For example, if the game is set in New York, then you can have the opening game about how some guys are threatening to blow up the Statue of Liberty. Or if your game is set in Republic City, how they are threatening to blow up the Statue of Aang. And the players are immediately emotionally invested.

Having the bad guys threatening to blow up 'something like that Statue of Liberty' sorta works for player motivation, but if you are going to have something 'sorta like the Statue of Liberty' you might as well just have the actual statue.

Fictional comic cities have the advantage of having a large amount of 'art' available, so a good artist can immediately give you a feel for what the city is like, can show important landmarks in the background of various panels, etc. But in a TTRPG, you don't really have this advantage.

I could see using an already existing fictional city that the players all have an investment in (possible examples: Republic City, Brocton Bay, Metropolis, Gotham, Mechanicsburg, etc). Or just taking a real city and changing things around some (e.g. San Fransokyo), but coming up with a wholly new fictional city seems like too much effort.

The problem with (original) fully fictional cities as settings is the players aren't immediately emotionally invested in the setting.

Alas that means IRL I'm an anomaly as I probably have very little emotional investment in a lot of the US, historical sites and symbols (probably due to inexperience/location and other reasons); However that doesn't mean I don't want to miss out on the fun of beating up badguys and quipping one-liners and doing a pose totally acting like a Power Ranger for fun when I can.

But making a city from scratch would be a lot of work, better to take a real city and modify portions if necessary. Roundabouts? add a statue in the middle or something, need a theme park? Remove 6-12 city blocks and put something there. Don't want to modify the city? Add a floating island and new formations that don't actually exist! Hell, you could have floating buildings/cities that's upside down... (which has it's own issues).

World building can be fun, but I don't think I have the heart to do it unless there's sufficient guarantee it will be used.

Just thought it needed to be addressed. Along with the role of supers in the world. This is already established in DC, Marvel, and Champions setting. Do heroes already exist? If not where do you put superpowered prisoners? Just those nuts and bolts.

I'd think it would be easiest if supers already exist and appropriate measures have been taken.  That also allows for cool things like dealing with government agents, either helping us or trying to arrest us.

So: team will be 'mostly local', probably based in New York City, and probably be an already formed, or at least 'associated' team.

If anyone has a more concrete character background idea, is there anything that their background requires 'adding' to the setting?

Examples:

Of my two proposed characters:

Hadaly has 'commercially' developed cybernetics, implying that there is at least some amount of cybenetic replacement available on a commercial basis. This could be anywhere from very good limb prosthetics all the way to early cyberpunk. In addition, her 'day job' is 'AI rights activist' implying that there are AI around to have their rights lobbied for, and/or people like Hadaly who have enough replacement parts that anti-machine type people might not categorize her as human any more.

Galatea's backstory implies she's been active for at least 2000 years, And that there are other immortals and/or conspiracies with very long term memories around that would be able to recognize some of her earlier incarnations and be worried about them.

If anyone is interested in a base, here's places of interest in New York to look at:

Pollepel Island has a castle.

Fort Tilden disused shore battery, some heavy fortifications.

List of closed subway stations

Hart Island where, among other things is New York's potter's field. If you want a base that could be haunted, or something.

North and South Brother Islands another set of uninhabited islands.

Hmm a closed subway or Fort Tilden both sound promising...

As for adding details for background... maybe something for flavor but nothing that actually would change anything (certain artifacts in museums, with no real power).

I'm really tempted to make new characters, an automata (or set of them), or based on other anime themes...

So are we talking a futuristic super hero world?  Maybe akin to Legion of Superheroes only locally based?

Hmm?

I was talking more about 20 minutes into the future with influences from Ghost in the Shell and Something Positive. Not Legion of Superheroes.

As for Galatea's implied setting addtions examples would be: Vandal Savage/Immortal Man, Ras Al Ghul, Eight Immortals, and Assassin's Creed style conspiracies.

I was talking more about 20 minutes into the future with influences from Ghost in the Shell and Something Positive. Not Legion of Superheroes.

Heh, reminded of all the future tech commented on in CyberPunk and ShadowRun where cell phones, PDAs and computers were large clunky things but was a way to communicate quickly, and some of the tech that's been since shown to be far more powerful now than in the futuristic setting when it was written in the 70's and 80's with the original P&P games.

And with AI seemingly on the verge of possibly taking over and a possible skynet situation (yet somehow Google and the large AI companies are trudging forward trying to push AI fully present). Not to mention automation for a number of industries, so if we are going with that it would probably be seeing a number of businesses where a number of jobs are simply replaced by machines, 3D printers, possibly a lot of unemployed people on UBI and/or a heavy reduction of birthrates to reduce the population.

That would make for a lot of possible small time crime and bored people among other things...

Just wait until the My Little Pony MMO finishes development, all our values will be satisfied with friendship and ponies.

So a 20 minutes into the future setting where AI and automation are 'noticeably' taking jobs away, which leads to economic and social unrest, which includes things like luddite suprevillains, skynet apocalypse prepper militia, basilisk hacks being slipped into advertising to make it even more effective, and mastermind villains trying to compromise certificate authorities?

Have we decided on a day yet?  Tuesdays I'm not available until after 6 pm est, Monday and Wednesday I'm not available due to classes, Thursday I'm not available until after 2.  I'm available all day Friday and Saturday, and then from 2 pm until 5 pm on Sunday.

Has anyone actually committed to GMing yet?

I'm willing, but I guarantee a trainwreck... Truthfully I haven't gotten to play enough games, be it hero or D&D, to know what to do as a GM.

Crusher Bob suggested rotating who's GM, which I think is a great idea.

Perhaps it's time to pull out the Champions book and read through it again. Last time I touched it was probably 2009.

I like rotating GM's as well. Works easy in a supers game. I can GM, I have a fair amount of experience with it in general and with Hero. Will we use the Champions world for simplicity or fully our own design?

Let alone who is going to GM. How many people are serious about gaming and what nights and times are you not available. It would be nice to play weekly, but that may be too much commitment for everyone. It seems like we have a decent amount of interest so lets get moving towards actually starting a game.

I am available Tuesday and Friday evenings (after 5 PM Eastern). For a character concept, I would need to know if there have been any recent alien visitations to Earth which led to a conflict that possibly injured or killed at least one of the aliens. If no aliens are known to exist, then I need permission to create an Evil Corporation that would be my hunted.