Looking for an Online Group

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 Khymeria

Khymeria

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:48 AM

Just thought it needed to be addressed. Along with the role of supers in the world. This is already established in DC, Marvel, and Champions setting. Do heroes already exist? If not where do you put superpowered prisoners? Just those nuts and bolts.

#62 Revenant

Revenant

Skilled Normal

• 180 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

I'd think it would be easiest if supers already exist and appropriate measures have been taken.  That also allows for cool things like dealing with government agents, either helping us or trying to arrest us.

#63 Crusher Bob

Crusher Bob

Standard Hero

• 179 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

So: team will be 'mostly local', probably based in New York City, and probably be an already formed, or at least 'associated' team.

If anyone has a more concrete character background idea, is there anything that their background requires 'adding' to the setting?

Examples:
Of my two proposed characters:
Hadaly has 'commercially' developed cybernetics, implying that there is at least some amount of cybenetic replacement available on a commercial basis. This could be anywhere from very good limb prosthetics all the way to early cyberpunk. In addition, her 'day job' is 'AI rights activist' implying that there are AI around to have their rights lobbied for, and/or people like Hadaly who have enough replacement parts that anti-machine type people might not categorize her as human any more.

Galatea's backstory implies she's been active for at least 2000 years, And that there are other immortals and/or conspiracies with very long term memories around that would be able to recognize some of her earlier incarnations and be worried about them.

If anyone is interested in a base, here's places of interest in New York to look at:
Pollepel Island has a castle.
Fort Tilden disused shore battery, some heavy fortifications.
List of closed subway stations
Hart Island where, among other things is New York's potter's field. If you want a base that could be haunted, or something.
North and South Brother Islands another set of uninhabited islands.

#64 Era Scarecrow

Era Scarecrow

Anime Addict

• 74 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:36 PM

Hmm a closed subway or Fort Tilden both sound promising...

As for adding details for background... maybe something for flavor but nothing that actually would change anything (certain artifacts in museums, with no real power).

I'm really tempted to make new characters, an automata (or set of them), or based on other anime themes...

#65 Revenant

Revenant

Skilled Normal

• 180 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:16 PM

So are we talking a futuristic super hero world?  Maybe akin to Legion of Superheroes only locally based?

#66 Crusher Bob

Crusher Bob

Standard Hero

• 179 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

So are we talking a futuristic super hero world?  Maybe akin to Legion of Superheroes only locally based?

Hmm?

I was talking more about 20 minutes into the future with influences from Ghost in the Shell and Something Positive. Not Legion of Superheroes.

As for Galatea's implied setting addtions examples would be: Vandal Savage/Immortal Man, Ras Al Ghul, Eight Immortals, and Assassin's Creed style conspiracies.

#67 Era Scarecrow

Era Scarecrow

Anime Addict

• 74 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:35 AM

I was talking more about 20 minutes into the future with influences from Ghost in the Shell and Something Positive. Not Legion of Superheroes.

Heh, reminded of all the future tech commented on in CyberPunk and ShadowRun where cell phones, PDAs and computers were large clunky things but was a way to communicate quickly, and some of the tech that's been since shown to be far more powerful now than in the futuristic setting when it was written in the 70's and 80's with the original P&P games.

And with AI seemingly on the verge of possibly taking over and a possible skynet situation (yet somehow Google and the large AI companies are trudging forward trying to push AI fully present). Not to mention automation for a number of industries, so if we are going with that it would probably be seeing a number of businesses where a number of jobs are simply replaced by machines, 3D printers, possibly a lot of unemployed people on UBI and/or a heavy reduction of birthrates to reduce the population.

That would make for a lot of possible small time crime and bored people among other things...

#68 Crusher Bob

Crusher Bob

Standard Hero

• 179 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:20 AM

Just wait until the My Little Pony MMO finishes development, all our values will be satisfied with friendship and ponies.

So a 20 minutes into the future setting where AI and automation are 'noticeably' taking jobs away, which leads to economic and social unrest, which includes things like luddite suprevillains, skynet apocalypse prepper militia, basilisk hacks being slipped into advertising to make it even more effective, and mastermind villains trying to compromise certificate authorities?

#69 Revenant

Revenant

Skilled Normal

• 180 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

Have we decided on a day yet?  Tuesdays I'm not available until after 6 pm est, Monday and Wednesday I'm not available due to classes, Thursday I'm not available until after 2.  I'm available all day Friday and Saturday, and then from 2 pm until 5 pm on Sunday.

#70 Epiphanis

Epiphanis

Standard Superhero

• 484 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

Has anyone actually committed to GMing yet?

#71 Era Scarecrow

Era Scarecrow

Anime Addict

• 74 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

Has anyone actually committed to GMing yet?

I'm willing, but I guarantee a trainwreck... Truthfully I haven't gotten to play enough games, be it hero or D&D, to know what to do as a GM.

Crusher Bob suggested rotating who's GM, which I think is a great idea.

Perhaps it's time to pull out the Champions book and read through it again. Last time I touched it was probably 2009.

#72 strtnewman

strtnewman

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:48 PM

I can GM, but I need to do a lot of reading before I could. I have GM a good amount of other games, but I haven't played 6ed yet and it's been several years since 5ed play also.

#73 Khymeria

Khymeria

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:23 PM

I like rotating GM's as well. Works easy in a supers game. I can GM, I have a fair amount of experience with it in general and with Hero. Will we use the Champions world for simplicity or fully our own design?

#74 strtnewman

strtnewman

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:24 PM

Let alone who is going to GM. How many people are serious about gaming and what nights and times are you not available. It would be nice to play weekly, but that may be too much commitment for everyone. It seems like we have a decent amount of interest so lets get moving towards actually starting a game.

#75 Doctor Zen

Doctor Zen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:13 PM

I am available Tuesday and Friday evenings (after 5 PM Eastern). For a character concept, I would need to know if there have been any recent alien visitations to Earth which led to a conflict that possibly injured or killed at least one of the aliens. If no aliens are known to exist, then I need permission to create an Evil Corporation that would be my hunted.

They were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Naturally they became heroes.

#76 Era Scarecrow

Era Scarecrow

Anime Addict

• 74 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:38 PM

Updated my signature to point to the current schedule/character preferences and details.

So far Tuesday is the largest matching date for everyone that I see, although I'd enjoy it more often if possible.

Hmmm although two groups, one with the whole group and one with half the group could work too. Lesser adventures and normal riffraff seems more likely (stuff that isn't overarching and would be easy to wrap up before the next full group session) like taking out bank robbers and when seen in the news or the like the character would offhand it as 'Last Tuesday? I was just taking out the trash...' like it was nothing, or assisting police with a mystery and murder, maybe a more skills based sessions and 'Where in the world is Carmen Santiago' feel, or maybe someone with a DNPC get's kidnapped by a group or person who's less powerful...

Hmmm... now I got all these ideas in my head...

#77 Khymeria

Khymeria

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:21 PM

Tuesday works for me.

I pitch this. The world has adapted to the presence of supers. Insurance companies offered protection policies, reality supers tv has been a thing, and all the super villains are locked away safely in prison, on the moon. Until that fatal day when the event now known as the Cataclysm occurred, wiping out Earth's supers. Except for (player character X), who must now recruit a new team from the super prison on the moon.