Adding Damage Reduction to itself?

Tech

Well, that's your call as GM to use that as a house rule. And in the specific case of Dragon Mandarin it's a bit of a moot point since he's meant to be something like a mystic Doctor Destroyer and pretty much should have whatever the GM needs him to have for the situation.

But for more general (i.e. player) use, there shouldn't be any rebate. That's where I would use caution.

He has 50% rPD and 50% rED  as a standard power and a big VPP for spells. But just because you can use a VPP to build a power doesn't make it usable. There's nothing in his example spells in Villains I that has DR that I could find.

I'm looking at the DOJHEROPA06 called The Dragon Mandarin. The spell is Su-P'inTs'e's Spell of Excellent Tranquility which adds 50% DR to both rPD/ED. That's what sparked this.

"But just because you can use a VPP to build a power doesn't make it usable." That doesn't make any sense.

From 6e v1 p 399, a character can define a power framework slot as only adding to a power outside the framework, in which case 60 AP would enhance an existing 60 AP of Damage Reduction to 120 AP (so from 50% to 75%). That slot would not do anything if the target does not possess the specific power it is designed to enhance.

Su-P'inTs'e's Spell of Excellent Tranquility could enhance the Dragon Mandarin's own Dam Red from 50% to 75%. Is the spell in question UbO?

I'm looking at the DOJHEROPA06 called The Dragon Mandarin. The spell is Su-P'inTs'e's Spell of Excellent Tranquility which adds 50% DR to both rPD/ED. That's what sparked this.

"But just because you can use a VPP to build a power doesn't make it usable." That doesn't make any sense.

Sure it does. Some powers DO stack, such as movement, characteristics, etc. Others do not, like Desolidification and Damage Reduction. Or a sense you already have. Someone with Radar will not normally gain any benefit from buying Radar twice, assuming the same modifiers. But you can use your VPP to buy it anyway, if you want.

But yeah, my terminology was a little imprecise. Any power you use a VPP to buy would be generally useable (limitations aside). You could choose to use that one or the one you already had. If they give identical effects there would be little point in having wasted the VPP doing this.

Yeah, I get it now. Unfortunately yet another fine point that didn't really make it into Champions Complete :)

In terms of notation, it would probably be better to say something like "+60 CP to Protective Spells power" or "increase Protective Spells power to 75% DR", rather than stating it as another 50% rDR, which *could* be a purchase of a distinct power and is frankly what caused the confusion.

Thanks for clarifying, Hugh.

From 6e v1 p 399, a character can define a power framework slot as only adding to a power outside the framework, in which case 60 AP would enhance an existing 60 AP of Damage Reduction to 120 AP (so from 50% to 75%). That slot would not do anything if the target does not possess the specific power it is designed to enhance.

Su-P'inTs'e's Spell of Excellent Tranquility could enhance the Dragon Mandarin's own Dam Red from 50% to 75%. Is the spell in question UbO?

Thanks! I have my answer.