Time Limit and Charges II

Hugh Neilson

Question

Looking to the prior question, my understanding of that build is that the character now hits his opponent with the HKA, and Constant takes over, so the target takes damage on each of the attacker's phases for a turn. Assuming the character has a 4 SPD, he could use one charge in each of Phase 3, 6 and 9 and, assuming he hits each time, the target would take the KA damage once on Phase 3, twice on Phase 6, 3 times on each of Ph 9 and 12, twice on next Ph 3 and once on Phase 6.

SECONDARY QUESTION: 1 turn means a 4 SPD attacker would do damage 4 time, not 5 (being once on the initial phase of the attack, plus one for each phase in the following turn, including the phase on which he attacked last turn), right?

But the PRIMARY QUESTION is how to build the HKA in question so that the initial activation of the power only allows the character to use it, without making its effects Constant. So, for example, on Phase 3, the character activates the HKA, attacking a target, and hits. On Phase 6, he can choose to use the HKA again, or choose to do something else, but his turn of effect continues to count down whether he uses the HKA or does something else. The target does not continue to take damage after that initial hit.

The limitation might better be phrased as "Can only use the power for three intervals of 1 turns per day" - essentially, it looks like a Continuing Charge, except that it is not Constant, so the rules prohibit it being a continuing charge.

Unlike, say, the corrosive acid on 6e V1 p226, the power does not continue to do damage automatically after the first hit - the only impact of the 1 turn "continuing" nature of the ability is that the character is granted the instant attack power for 1 turn by using one charge. If it weren't for the requirement that powers be Constant before applying Continuing Charges, that would seem like the appropriate mechanic.

1 answer to this question

I don’t currently have access to all of my books and materials, which have been packed up as part of my home renovation project, so I reserve the right to edit or change this answer at a future time. ;)

1. A Constant Power affects the target once for each of the attacker’s Phases, beginning in the Segment it’s used. Thus, over the course of 1 Turn, it affects the target a number of times equal to the attacker’s SPD.

For example, suppose Sargaroth the Sorcerer (SPD 4) casts his Deadly Corrosion spell (RKA 1d6, Constant, 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each) on an orc in his Phase in Segment 6. The spell affects the orc in Segment 6 (when cast), Segment 9, Segment 12, and then Segment 3 in the next Turn. After that the spell effectively ceases to have effect, having been at work for one Turn. (Technically that Turn ends in Segment 5 of the second Turn, of course, but given Sargaroth’s SPD that’s almost never going to matter.) The spell does not have any effect in Segment 6 of the second Turn — that would be the thirteenth Segment after the spell was cast, exceeding the duration of the Continuing Charge.

2.  It seems to me that the way to create a build of this sort is to work with the GM to come up with a form of the Limited Power Limitation (or if necessary, a custom Advantage) that allows the “Constant” HKA to function as desired. It’s not a sufficiently common sort of power construct that I see the need for any special rules or the like.