Mutant and Masterminds conversions

phoenix240

I think that conversion schemes are only so good. It is far better to eyeball the character, check out its power set and then build it from scratch.

Doc

I don't disagree I just find it easier to have some conversion guidelines to give me a rough outline to fine tune than just staright up build the concept whole cloth when dealing with system conversions. Especially since some write ups are little sketchy when dealing with the details. So I was hoping there might be at least some general guidelines or suggestions around. 

pretty much Strength is the only characteristic that has a direct relationship between systems
there was a chart done for the not done version of 3rd or 4th ed Star Hero that has Strength/Blast as joules of energy
Got it in hard copy only somewhere in my collection of stuff

everything else you need to know 1 system really good and the other ok to convert

one thing you can do is compare power levels
Champions standard super hero= 400pts and 6-14dc
M&M standard super hero  150 pts power level 10
so look at the top end of each a champions 14d6 mind control will be around a level 20 in M&M

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, but I was hoping to find some guidelines to help with porting some of the Acts of Villainy characters over to Hero System. There's some fun characters there. 

Thanks, Pheonix! It's nice to hear when folks enjoy my supervillains. I've been tweaking a few and may release some for Hero in the semi-near future. When converting, I multiply the base numbers by 2.67 to get a rough point estimate budget before creating the characters. Then, when looking at powers, I work on a 1:5 ratio (using Damage vs. Blast as an estimate). I do agree with Doc, though, and think it's always better to model the character without worrying about points. This also allows you to gauge them well in comparison to your heroes. 

Just out of curiosity, which ones are you planning on using? 

Thanks, Phoenix! It's nice to hear when folks enjoy my supervillains. I've been tweaking a few and may release some for Hero in the semi-near future. When converting, I multiply the base numbers by 2.67 to get a rough point estimate budget before creating the characters. Then, when looking at powers, I work on a 1:5 ratio (using Damage vs. Blast as an estimate). I do agree with Doc, though, and think it's always better to model the character without worrying about points. This also allows you to gauge them well in comparison to your heroes. 

Hello :)

Right now I was looking at the Road Crew (Road Kill, Road Rash Road Rage). Sister Shade and Killswitch. And I plan to check out the Nefarious Nine and a few others shortly. 

Hello :)

Right now I was looking at the Road Crew (Road Kill, Road Rash Road Rage). Sister Shade and Killswitch. And I plan to check out the Nefarious Nine and a few others shortly. 

Excellent choices. In some of the home games, they've been a pain for the heroes. I'm not sure if I want to start from the beginning with Champions conversions, or if it'll be a smattering when they come out. Still might be a bit though... I'm looking at formats and such.

Affliction is interesting to convert. Its such a broad power seems like it represents sfx that would be anything from EB to entangle to Mind Control to Transform in Hero System. 

I had originally looked at creating a power that mimics what Affliction does in Hero, but realized very quickly that it'd make no sense for the same reasons you cited. I wouldn't worry about tight conversions when doing your own. 

• 5 months later...
On 7/31/2017 at 3:53 PM, Sketchpad said:

Thanks, Pheonix! It's nice to hear when folks enjoy my supervillains. I've been tweaking a few and may release some for Hero in the semi-near future. When converting, I multiply the base numbers by 2.67 to get a rough point estimate budget before creating the characters. Then, when looking at powers, I work on a 1:5 ratio (using Damage vs. Blast as an estimate). I do agree with Doc, though, and think it's always better to model the character without worrying about points. This also allows you to gauge them well in comparison to your heroes. 

How would you suggest converting Defenses?

DCV is an average of Dodge and Parry, while Will is DECV. Toughness gives you a rough estimate of how much damage a character should be able to take. So Toughness 10 might translate to 20rPD/rED. In all honesty, I would skip the direct conversion and work more on creating the concept with M&M stats acting as a blueprint.

Yeah.  My friend and I ran a multiverse scenario when we went away as a group for a gaming weekend.  We had six heroes, two from each of the core teams presented in Champions, Silver Age Sentinels and Mutants and Masterminds.  Rather than convert the characters we re-imagined each one for each system.  It was less a process of taking an M&M character and working it through a conversion process than looking at the power descriptions and looking to get the right power levels and the right kind of powerset using the ruleset for the world in question.

The idea was that, for example, one friend would run Defender under HERO, as re-imagined for M&M and as re-imagined for SAS.  It was supposed to be like the DC multiverse, so while Defender was ostensibly the same character the relative power level compared with other characters and actual powers might vary, we also varied the names we used for characters from different worlds.  So Defender would be Defender playing in the HERO world, The Shield in SAS world and Guardian in M&M world.

It was an interesting exercise.

Doc

Doc, that sounds much like games we used to play back in the mid-80s. At first we tried to do mechanical conversions using some of the documentation that hit magazines and such, but characters never converted properly. So we started working off the concept and using the other stats to eyeball where they should be.