How much worldbuilding?

Chris Goodwin

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice would be form up a small "main team" for each location and fill in others as you need them. Have some floating characters who operate in-an-around and can be expected to turn up anywhere (ones with non-local responsibilities like Doctor Strange or Thor are good). Ten per sub city is probably a bit many, especially if you don't even know how many players you'll have.

I'd think 3-5 a good number for each team.

Love the idea of a 70's retro campaign

Thanks for the input. I think I should decide if there are anymore fictional cities in the country besides the campaign one at some point. I already have a fictional Caribbean island without extradition with the U.S. for villains to slip away to. I should also probably come up with a Latveria/Markovia counterpart. 

I ran my game today.  It went maybe a little better than I expected but.not quite as well as I'd hoped.  I didn't have full PC writeups until today at game time, and didn't have anything prepared, so I ended drawing a bank, a couple of lanes of road, and a park on my NoteBoard, and had the villains in Champions Complete rob it.  

It would have gone a lot better if my DEX/SPD chart had had spaces for me to add the villains, for instance.   :)  But then the villains might have won.  As it was, the heroes wore two of them down​, overwhelmed a third, accepted the surrender of a fourth without a fight, and a fifth one (Shrinker) got away.  And man, has Shrinker gotten a whole lot tougher since 4e.   :D

I didn't have a chance to bring in what little worldbuilding I did.  And I'm happy with that.

I was rusty, but that didn't seem​ like much of an issue.  I had another friend and fellow Champions player ask to join at the last minute, and he turned out to be super helpful in explaining things to the group as well as helping me with looking up rules and so forth.  (And I couldn't have done it without my amazing wife, as well, who really is the one who made the gathering happen.)

I'm a bit of inconsistent when it comes to world building. Sometimes I do allot of it, sometimes I don't. Depends on the group I'm GMing for and what I can expect from them in being interested in the greater world outside of their immediate view. But if I'm writing up my take on something, let's say VIPER then I cover as much ground as I can.

Not exactly worldbuilding  and a little late as you've started, but as the campaign begins you might want to ask your players to describe a day in the life. Get an idea how they see their place in the world and interaction with their npcs.

I like this idea. Not all players will know the answer, because some players I know like to experience the world they are playing in before doing too much character stuff. But overall, I think having them describe how they fit into the world would help make it real for them.