Duplication question

ashuramarsh

I'm back with another.

I am helping a friend with a character design. He wants to create a duplicate power, both have the same power, but in effect they are both simply the same person. One mind, two bodies. Is there a way to design this?

I though of for sure adding cannot recombine.

1 exact duplicate.

Mind Link between the two.

One player to run them.

This.  Plus the No Recombination limitation for Duplication. 

I'd also recommend use of the 'Feedback' limitations (likely STUN only) when building both the Duplication and the Mind Link -- specifically to represent the one mind feeling the pain from damage taken by either body ... and to represent the shared mind for both bodies being hit by mental attacks that land on either body.

Last, the Mind Link should be bought with exactly one other mind -- and should probably have a Psychic Bond.  It should also likely have the limitation 'Only with others who have mind Link' (-1) ... knowing that both duplicates will have it since they are exact duplicates.  (It's a fine point, but frankly, your Mind Link should be very, very cheap for this concept, and I don't know why any GM would balk at that limitation given the concept.)

Oh, and as for the 'neither character is the base character', read how Duplication works.

Duplication without using "Duplication"

Two Bodies: (Total: 47 Active Cost, 30 Real Cost) Adjacent with Sight Group, Hearing Group, Smell/Taste Group and Touch Group, Inherent (+1/4) (25 Active Points); Always On (-1/2) (Real Cost: 17) <b>plus</b> Stretching 3m, Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4), Persistent (+1/4), Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Indirect (Source Point can vary from use to use, path can change with every use; +1), MegaScale (1m = 10,000 km; +2) (16 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), No Velocity Damage (-1/4), Linked (Adjacent; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4) (Real Cost: 8) <b>plus</b> Extra Limb (1), Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points); Linked (Stretching; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4) (Real Cost: 5)

Basically the character is one person standing in two places - two places that can be up to 30,000km apart.

If one is stunned, both are stunned. If one is unconscious, both are unconscious. If one dies, both die. If one is flashed, both are flashed, etc. There is only one STUN score and one BOD score and damage to either is marked off of it.

Both bodies also have the same OCV and DCV and are effected by the same maneuvers - if one is Dodging, both are Dodging, or at least both get the DCV bonus etc. Note that they CAN have different modifiers for POSITION (i.e. one can be behind cover but not both, one can be attacking from behind etc.)

Consider buying STR up with a Limitation of some sort, or if one body is lifting the max, the other can't pick anything up.

Consider buying high SPD because the character still only gets one action per phase.

Lucius Alexander

And an appropriate palindromedary tagline

It's still probably more elegant to use Duplication. The "base character" thing is pretty much just for accounting purposes and largely becomes academic once you move to Inherent, which prevents the duplicate from being dispelled. The only ongoing thing is to keep the experience point accounting correct. 

Per the "Identical Duplicates" rules out of CC both still pay the cost of Duplication, and use the same character sheet. That plus No Recombination (-0), Inherent (+1/4) and Mind link sounds pretty much right.