Free hero lite?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tech priest support

Tech priest support

Very Powerful Hero

• 268 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:26 AM

Have you ever done a free "hero lite" PDF like "gurps lite"? It might help you attract new users. I'd like a dollar for every time I heard a gurps player say "My first gurps experience was gurps lite."

As for people claiming you'd be "ripping off gurps" i'd say gurps moved a bit closer to the hero system in it's 4th edition.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be very uncomfortable if you're one of the facts that needs altering." The Doctor.

#2 Brian Stanfield

Brian Stanfield

Low-Powered Superhero

• 323 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

This is an ongoing forum discussion, and a lot of different ideas have been presented. Several people are taking on different projects along these lines, but there is no "official" HERO System document.

Take a look at this free download that Xotl worked on this spring. http://www.herogames...sy-hero-primer/

#3 Tech priest support

Tech priest support

Very Powerful Hero

• 268 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:02 AM

I'm not too big on Hero system games but I would hate to see the company die. If a stripped down lite system version can be made that will help sales I'd hope it could be done and released.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be very uncomfortable if you're one of the facts that needs altering." The Doctor.

#4 Chris Goodwin

Chris Goodwin

Perfectly good monkey

• 4,355 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

I've asked, and was told no way, not ever would that be happening.

Chris Goodwin
The Big Thread of Helpful HowtosThe Unofficial HERO System Forum | HERO System Low Heroic Protocols | Old School ChampionsHow to Play HERO System | Robot Warriors to HERO System Current Editions

There are two paths your character can take into the game: the path of the game guidelines document, or the path of the Character Approver 9000. Choose your path wisely.

#5 Tech priest support

Tech priest support

Very Powerful Hero

• 268 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:12 PM

Oh well, their choice.

#6 Brian Stanfield

Brian Stanfield

Low-Powered Superhero

• 323 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

I've asked, and was told no way, not ever would that be happening.

So what is the rationale behind flat-out denial?

#7 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

Medium unnatural humanoid

• 9,505 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:06 AM

I, personally, have zero knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes. As a fanboy, I have theories. In the end, it doesn't matter. The business model that Hero Games pursued was not one that sustained them. There are a lot of factors that probably played into that. I've heard that the recession of '08 had a pretty significant impact. I strongly suspect that the Hero Rules themselves are the only real asset that Hero Games can use if it ever tries to climb back into the market once we get a decent economy going and the gaming world turns its attention, once more, to Hero. If it gives those away freely, then it risks not having any marketable asset to leverage if those stars align again.

Personally, I really hope that someday, if Hero cannot make a commercial comeback, then the owners of the IP do release it into the ether as a free (as in cost) product while still retaining the rights to it. I don't want to see become "open" or covered under some license like Apache or Creative Commons. That way, the legacy of Hero can live on instead of fading into some obscure hole in the memories of a few, aging grognards. Ain't that day just yet it seems.

• Burrito Boy and Brian Stanfield like this

#8 Chris Goodwin

Chris Goodwin

Perfectly good monkey

• 4,355 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:22 PM

So what is the rationale behind flat-out denial?

Partly that it would never happen without Powers.  Partly that to do it with Powers would make it too large and unwieldy to release for free.  And partly what Nolgroth said:

I strongly suspect that the Hero Rules themselves are the only real asset that Hero Games can use if it ever tries to climb back into the market once we get a decent economy going and the gaming world turns its attention, once more, to Hero. If it gives those away freely, then it risks not having any marketable asset to leverage if those stars align again.

None of those were qualified or given wiggle room; they were all definitively no, not going to happen and here's why.  

• Brian Stanfield likes this

Chris Goodwin
The Big Thread of Helpful HowtosThe Unofficial HERO System Forum | HERO System Low Heroic Protocols | Old School ChampionsHow to Play HERO System | Robot Warriors to HERO System Current Editions

There are two paths your character can take into the game: the path of the game guidelines document, or the path of the Character Approver 9000. Choose your path wisely.

#9 mrinku

mrinku

Standard Superhero

• 419 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:00 PM

I doubt HERO sales have that much to do with the economy. The market for PnP RPGs is STILL primarily white male nerds, and those are doing fine. Even the white female nerds are doing okay.  

The key issue is most likely one of marketing. Champions Complete is an excellent product, let down a little by its interior art. But if a friend hadn't given me his copy I'd probably never have heard of it.

I'm reminded of the John Carter movie. It was a pretty good movie and a great adaptation of the books, but it got practically no marketing, no merch and almost sank without a trace.

• Brian Stanfield likes this

#10 Greywind

Greywind

Triple Millennial Master

• 10,261 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:34 PM

Is Hero Lite a political prisoner that needs to be freed?

With your shield or on it.

"The laws of celestial mechanics dictate that when two objects collide, there is always damage of a collateral nature." ~ Prof. Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

"It's like switching from an action thriller RIGHT when it all goes to hell and you don't know if they live and someone walks in and changes the channel to Gilmore Girls." ~ my Muse about my writing. :)

Greywind's Characters

Snippets

Business Unfinished

Reaffirmation Day

#11 Tech priest support

Tech priest support

Very Powerful Hero

• 268 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:52 PM

Look no need for snark. ICM a grognard gamer, I got started in the 80's. Yeah a lot of horrible the GS came out of the 80's. Disco, hairbands, crack, AIDS, yuppies, Reagan, ad infinitum.

But the 80's was also the golden age of gaming. We had a lot of game companies that were good but no longer with us. We had microgames, we had boxed sets of games with dice and character sheets, we had a lot of game adaptations of books, we had real papergame magazines.

A lot of the things gaming had in the 80's are gone. No more boxed sets, no more microgames in small packages with maps and rule books, no more paper magazines, lawyers, smelling easy money, have invaded the game world and made getting rights to anything an expensive and hellish process. A lot if good game comlanies are either gone or reduced to shadows of themselves. A lot of the people in gaming from the 80's are gone too. :(

Now I remember champions from the 80's. Game stores always had it back them. Hero games was around in the golden age of gaming and now as I understand it the company and hero line are on life support. I don't want it to die even if I'm not big on it let we'. If it weren't for gurps I might have gotten more into it, but i'd like to see the company keep going g.

Maybe a HERO version of gurps lite or savage worlds explorer edition could help it have a resurgence. I'd like that. That's my motivation. Period.

#12 mrinku

mrinku

Standard Superhero

• 419 posts

Posted Today, 12:28 AM

Well, in general terms, roleplaying and co-op storytelling is still going quite strong. I think we ARE staring to see a resurgence of old school PnP - video games knocked it around for a while, but now social media and print on demand (or don't bother printing) are bringing it back.

MMORPGs held sway for a while, but ultimately crumbled under their own weight of development and running costs and the harsh market of hardware upgrade cycles. Though they'll likely be back at some point once AI shrinks the cost of production a bit more.

But I saw my kids grow up to experience creative roleplay through Minecraft even when my old games weren't attractive (though latterly the boy has come around in a big way. Heh heh :) ) At heart, it's people telling stories to each other and THAT is the most human thing of all.

• Nolgroth and Armory like this