New Player Mechanic Discussion.

mrashes

Hi. I'm just starting to dive into the hero system, and while there are some things I am confused about I figured the best way to gain knowledge is to ask questions.

The rules for block seems pretty well written, however I was confused on if the blocker AS WELL as the attacker rolls off against each other or is the blocker simply trying to reach the attackers OCV without a roll from the attacker? As I said, the way the example is written is confusing as Powerhouse is the only one seeming to make a roll.

Thanks again.

Example: Ogre tries to punch Powerhouse.

Powerhouse attempts to Block. Ogre’s OCV is
6, and Powerhouse’s OCV is 5. Powerhouse
rolls a 10 on his Attack Roll, so he can hit
(5 + 11 - 10 =) OCV 6 or less, which means he
successfully Blocks. Powerhouse takes no damage
and no Knockback. If he and Ogre both have
their next Phases in the same Segment, Powerhouse
automatically gets to act first, even though
Ogre’s DEX is higher than his.

Normally just the one roll (by the blocker).

Technically the attacker still makes an attack, it's just usually a moot point and not something to bother rolling; if using Multiple Attack a successful Block will stop one attack, but doesn't count as a miss and further attacks might be made (or might be made against other targets). Autofire has its own rules that usually means an attack roll needs to be made, even if its hits are blocked. 

If the block is successful, then the attacker doesn't have to roll (he's been blocked, it doesn't matter). If the block is unsuccessful (the blocker misses his roll), then the attacker still has to roll to-hit. It's possible that both sides miss, after all.

The roll needed for the block is not affected by the attacker's to-hit roll. It doesn't matter if the attacker would have rolled really well, the target number for the blocker is always the attacker's OCV.

I guess to clarify, I am asking if rolling against the attackers OCV requires the (OCV+11 -3d6) and they use THAT as the target number... or if it is the base OCV +modifiers.

I am glad I am on the right track. Thanks everyone for taking the time to help.