Naked Adders (5E)

g3taso

Many mental powers have adders for additional classes of minds at 10pts. So assuming a 45AP mental power as the guinea pig, how would you cost a naked adder that could be applied to a number of 45pt mental powers? I found the rulebook unenlightening.

And if 6E deals with it, please let me know.

AFAIK Naked Adders are not legal in 5e or 6e.

HM

This is incorrect ... for both 5e and 6e.

As evidence, I cite:

5er p244 AND 6e1 p314 (red emphasis added by me):

Normally, you must attach a Power Advantage to a Power, but sometimes you can create interesting abilities with just a “naked” Power Advantage — in other words, an Advantage that’s not attached to a Power. (A character could also have a naked Power Adder; the same rules apply.)

CC p95 (red emphasis added by me):

An Independent Advantage is not attached to a specific Power. Examples include a character so good at shooting guns that he can fire any gun very rapidly (Autofire) or a “spearhand punch” allowing a character to apply Armor-Piercing to his STR when he wants to. (A character could also have an Independent Adder; the same rules apply.)

​Thus, the proper response is to compute the cost of a naked Power Adder the same way you would a Naked Advantage.

Many mental powers have adders for additional classes of minds at 10pts. So assuming a 45AP mental power as the guinea pig, how would you cost a naked adder that could be applied to a number of 45pt mental powers?

Now here is where it gets interesting.  You want to buy one naked Power Adder to apply to a group of powers.  Well, the rules are pretty explicit when it comes to Group Naked Advantages (5er p245, 6e1 p314, and CC p95) ... but since a Power Adder doesn't vary based on the active point cost of the powers involved, then the rules associated with Group Naked Advantages don't make any logical sense for Power Adders.  Thus, you're left only with the mechanics for computing the cost of Single-Power Naked Advantages as something that makes applicable sense regarding naked Power Adders.

Put another way, the rules have no well-defined mechanism to let you apply one Naked Power Adder to multiple powers ... and the only RAW mechanic that works for computing the cost of the naked Power Adder is the mechanic defined for computing the cost of Single-Power Naked Advantages.  While not definitive, this suggests that naked Power Adders have to be purchased for individual powers ... not groups of powers.

However, there's a potential way to address a naked Power Adder that makes good sense for multiple powers -- if your GM is open to it.  To do that, compute the cost like you would a Single-Power Naked Advantage ... and then check with your GM to see if s/he might allow you to apply the Expanded Effect Advantage (5er p150, 6e1 p142, CC104) to your naked Power Adder and, if so, use the Expanded Effect advantage to cover the mental powers that you desire ... paying the appropriate advantage cost to address each of the mental powers you want to expand your naked Power Adder to cover.

Oh, and don't forget this little tidbit (5er p245, 6e1 p314), since I doubt you have a pile of 45pt mental powers sitting outside of a framework:

Generally, a character cannot purchase a naked Power Advantage or Adder that adds to any slot in a Power Framework, but this depends on the nature of the powers and special effects  involved and the GM’s judgment regarding game balance, common sense, and dramatic sense.

In CC, it should be a moot point for this specific issue, as CC eliminated Classes of Mind (the author noted that was the only change made from the 6e rules to CC).

I'm generally not inclined to allow naked advantages where it's just a cost break over putting the advantage on the underlying power. It's more a construct for pre-defined powers, especially those not purchased directly with CP (like gear in heroic campaigns). Naked Adders would fall into the same category.