College Football 2017-2018

Well, as a Buckeye fan I certainly thought what he did at the Horseshoe was classless, but I'll defend him a bit for this.  Kansas started it.  The no handshake and cheap shots  were bush league (particularly from a team with only one win) and those players should be punished internally by their coach.

As an Oklahoma fan I'm grappling with (if he wins the Heisman Trophy, admittedly a beauty pageant trophy) we add the "flag plant" or "crotch grab" as a statue in OU's Heisman Park.

Decisions, decisions. :)

Honestly, it's kind of nostalgic. Takes me to the Bozworth era. Like football, he's not for the faint at heart.

And what was the deal with the announcers clutching their pearls yesterday. Sheesh. I clearly recall the Auburn-Bama double bird, flipped by one of the very announcers piling on. 

Anyway, love him or hate him the kid clearly thrives on conflict. The angrier he plays, the better he performs. In the argument for best QB ever to play at OU.

14926135_G (1).jpg

Baker-Mayfield-crotch-grab-832x447.png

I saw an article on CBS Sports discussing the greatest college football rivalry. I didn't actually read the article yet, because if it concludes that Auburn-Alabama is the best rivalry (as I suspect it will), I'm going to lose my **** mind.

I want your opinions. What is the greatest college football rivalry?

Well, obviously I'm going to say Ohio State-Michigan.  I believe Auburn-Alabama has been played a few more times, but I believe Ohio State-Michigan is the rivalry with the most national titles between them.  Of course, as far as general college rivalries go, you could always go with Harvard-Yale, I suppose.  Of course, there's no way to definitely determine which is best.

If I had to be somewhat serious about it, Michigan-Ohio State probably takes the top spot, as I don't believe any other rivalries rehash an actual shooting war. :)

Though I will posit that Minnesota-Wisconsin deserves at least an honorable mention as the most played rivalry game, heading into the 127th edition on Saturday.  Only missed one year, 1906, due to Presidential order canceling rivalry games that year for safety concerns.

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

UCLA has hired Chip Kelly as their new head coach. The sports media people are tripping over themselves trying to tell everyone what a great hire this is.

Now we see whether he simply glided on the coattails of a better coach or can build his own program. Kelly did not invent the ideas he executed so well at Oregon, but he carried them off very well at the peak of how power. Having very good quarterbacks for his level didn't hurt.

His tenure at the NFL showed that he couldn't handle being in a situation where there wasn't a massive power imbalance in his favor between himself and his players, though, which concerns me a lot about his suitability as a coach. Xs and Os are one thing, but how do you handle authority when young people's futures are at stake? Once they research his history, will athletes play for him?

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

So Auburn beat Alabama in the Iron Bowl today.

Which means if Auburn beats Georgia in next week's SEC Championship Game, the SEC West will have two teams in the four team College Football Playoff.

Write it down.

:mad:

Kind of depends on other games, but could happen. Clemson wins ACC? They are in. OU beats TCU? They are in. No way a top 4 ranked team with a conference championship gets bumped in either case. Wisconsin wins and is undefeated? They are in. Undefeated conference championship. No chance losing this late and missing conference championship allows them in ahead of any of those teams. The committee will hate putting Wisky in, but they'll have no option. 

Then it's Auburn or Georgia as the $EC rep. Both will be ahead of Bama on Tuesday, with no opportunity to jump them. 

IF however, one of those teams loses then there's a window for Bama to sneak back in. I believe they'd go ahead of a WSU Pac champion, maybe even an 2 loss Ohio State, etc. 

Wow, 30 points and an actual running game. BYU might not have to fire OC Ty Detmer on Monday after all.

On the other hand, BYU narrowly avoided their worst season since the Truman administration, and the Cougars are the only one of the state's five D1 (FBS & FCS) teams not playing in the postseason, so you never know.

In any case, 2017 is over. 

*looks at BYU's 2018 schedule*

Crap.

Whatever BYU is going to do in 2018, they will do it without Ty Detmer as their offensive coordinator. He was relieved of his duties by the school earlier today.

He remains under contract and is still on the staff, and may remain in his secondary position as quarterbacks coach, depending on what the new offensive coordinator decides.

Somehow, I get the feeling that this is only the beginning of the changes at BYU.

Edited by Pariah
Linky.