College Football 2017-2018

well, the age of great defensive battles are over  (you know eventually crap will hit the fan in the 4th)

Coaches seem to value speed and strength over conditioning for their defensive players. Wearing out the opposing defense is one of the main strategies in college football these days. Make first downs, run a lot of plays, eat up clock, and keep your offense on the field. 

Yeah, the one problem with valuing that in defense is it leads to all or nothing, on top of the other problems.

COurse, given 200 K hitters, every sport is letting all or nothing come in vogue.  (except soccer which is one or nothing or nothing or nothing :winkgrin:  )

Ok, I'll leave before the soccer fans roast me (possibly literally)

That appears to be the case this year, yes.

The offense has really struggled this year. They were slow to get out of the gate last year, but later in the year, they really seemed to have adjusted to Ty Detmers pro-style offense. This year, it simply hasn't happened.

Part of the problem is that BYU is now on their third quarterback of the year, and based on what I was reading this morning, maybe their fourth next week. (Against Boise State. That's encouraging.)

I don't know what's going on, but BYU just can't keep their quarterbacks healthy this year. Their first starter, Tanner Mangum, went out with a leg injury and has been on the sidelines in a boot the last couple of weeks. The second string guy, Beau Hoge, suffered some kind of injury yesterday and is out indefinitely. Koy Detmer Jr, the nephew of the offense of coordinator, was entirely ineffective, completing 7 out of 20 passes and throwing three picks. There's already speculation that the Cougars might go with their 4th string quarterback to start the game next week against Boise.

The really frustrating this is that Hoge was injured on a designed running play. I can only wonder, did the Cougars learn nothing from the Riley Nelson and Taysom Hill years?! Those guys were running quarterbacks, and they were injured. All. The. Time. Taysom Hill alone had 3 season ending injuries against Utah State in his career.

Looking at the remaining schedule, they have eight games left and need to win six of them to be bowl eligible. Honestly, I'm not sure I see six teams they can beat on that schedule. Four or five, certainly. Six? I hope so.

That appears to be the case this year, yes.

The offense has really struggled this year. They were slow to get out of the gate last year, but later in the year, they really seemed to have adjusted to Ty Detmers pro-style offense. This year, it simply hasn't happened.

Part of the problem is that BYU is now on their third quarterback of the year, and based on what I was reading this morning, maybe their fourth next week. (Against Boise State. That's encouraging.)

I don't know what's going on, but BYU just can't keep their quarterbacks healthy this year. Their first starter, Tanner Mangum, went out with a leg injury and has been on the sidelines in a boot the last couple of weeks. The second string guy, Beau Hoge, suffered some kind of injury yesterday and is out indefinitely. Koy Detmer Jr, the nephew of the offense of coordinator, was entirely ineffective, completing 7 out of 20 passes and throwing three picks. There's already speculation that the Cougars might go with their 4th string quarterback to start the game next week against Boise.

The really frustrating this is that Hoge was injured on a designed running play. I can only wonder, did the Cougars learn nothing from the Riley Nelson and Taysom Hill years?! Those guys were running quarterbacks, and they were injured. All. The. Time. Taysom Hill alone had 3 season ending injuries against Utah State in his career.

Looking at the remaining schedule, they have eight games left and need to win six of them to be bowl eligible. Honestly, I'm not sure I see six teams they can beat on that schedule. Four or five, certainly. Six? I hope so.

Yes, I remember the Detmer's (AKA with the Huards, the Magnificent Backup Brothers)

Strange they would dump Jr. so quick, nepotism usually buys a couple of extra chances.

I don't think anyone has told Gary Anderson there are two halves to a football game and that he has to coach both of them.

Last night's win against BYU notwithstanding, Gary's old job at Utah State ought to be open again by the end of the season.

I don't think anyone has told Gary Anderson there are two halves to a football game and that he has to coach both of them.

Must be a bad habit he picked up at Wisconsin.  Trying to remember the last time that the Badgers showed up for 4 quarter of football in a single game. :P

Yeah, the one problem with valuing that in defense is it leads to all or nothing, on top of the other problems.

COurse, given 200 K hitters, every sport is letting all or nothing come in vogue.  (except soccer which is one or nothing or nothing or nothing :winkgrin:  )

Ok, I'll leave before the soccer fans roast me (possibly literally)

Not roasting. but you did mention one of the sports where conditioning is most paramount.

Soccer is perhaps the ultimate stamina team sport. Eight of the eleven players on each side are on the field for the entire match, as only three substitutions are allowed through the entire ninety-minute game time (plus whatever additional time is required to make up for stoppages). The player substituted for is gone for the rest of the match, so if it turns out you needed what he does after all it's your bad luck. The game is all about being in the right place at the right time to make a play, to help a teammate make a play, or to prevent an opponent from making a play. One mistake in positioning can result in disaster.

You're not running full-speed the entire ninety minutes, but you have to be able to turn on the juice when needed to create or foil an opportunity. Marshaling your energy is thus vital. Strength, quickness and agility will help you a lot, but you also need stamina.

In high school circles, there's some controversy about soccer (and other sports) being played on artificial surfaces that rely on chopped-up pieces of old tires for backfill.

I suppose I'm a Luddite in this respect: I think football (either kind), as well as baseball, cricket, rugby, and all the rest, should be played outdoors on grass.

(I also think the Designated Hitter and aluminum bats are tools of the Devil, but that's another subject.)

Go start your Luddite sportsball threads elsewhere! This is football and all that matters is my team has a bad coach and I cry every Saturday, with visions of ending my life on the same 28 year cycle of futility that I started it on.

The only silver lining might be that we may pull the ducks down with us.

I agree with Pariah about fields. Aluminum bats I have learned to tolerate on a participant-sport basis because I have known people who I liked in almost all other avenues BUT they seem subconsciously bound and determined to break all the wood bats they don't own. And when you're standing on 2nd base and they're coming up to bat, it's approximately impossible to keep that mofo from picking up the bat that you own.