Sign in to follow this  
Chris Goodwin

Is this possible: multiple levels of Reduced Endurance?

If I want to run a game where every level of Reduced Endurance halves the END Cost, rather than the second level dropping it to 0, can HERO Designer be made to do this?  Even if I have to jump through some hoops to do it; whether it's custom Advantages, custom rules templates, even messing about with export formats.  

Thanks!

The way I would do it, is to use a Custom Modifier (Add Modifier -> Custom Modifier (at the botttom) and then dial in the level you want (+/- 1/4, +/- 1/2) and then edit comment field with the proper endurance.

Printing it out on a character sheet will require some decisions.  The tag POWER_END is the tag that displays the regularly calculated value.  So you would have to edit the export file to remove that tag (but then you loose all the END cost listings), or you'd have confirm the comment field prints (it did on the one I tested), and make sure your players use that value.

post-49240-0-42444200-1501210114_thumb.png

You can also create a Custom Power and set all the properties, but use the 'Define Custom END Column Output' and set the amount you want displayed.  You would still apply Modifiers as usual then.  This method has a few more steps, but the END cost is picked up by the PDF and export templates normally,

post-49240-0-14069400-1501210832_thumb.png

Those are two ways I know it could be done, if there's a different/better way, I'm sure someone will post it :)

Printing it out on a character sheet will require some decisions.  The tag POWER_END is the tag that displays the regularly calculated value.  So you would have to edit the export file to remove that tag (but then you loose all the END cost listings), or you'd have confirm the comment field prints (it did on the one I tested), and make sure your players use that value.

I'm more worried about printing it out on the character sheet.  Maybe Javascript... check for the presence of a theoretical Reduced END (X levels) note, and if so then divide POWER_END by the appropriate amount.  

Bears thinking on.  Thanks!

With a rules extension template I could add an Advantage with a cost of .25 per level, and have it output the number of levels via [LVL].  It might be that the best I could do would be to use Javascript in the export template to check for the presence of that, and multiply the displayed END cost by 1 / 2 ^ the number of levels.  

ETA:  I think what I want is LVLPOWER in the rules template.  Telescopic and Microscopic Senses use it, so that if you have, for instance, three levels of Telescopic Vision, it displays x1000 .  I could do LVLPOWER="2" and DISPLAY="Reduced END (x1/[LVL])".  

I'm using export tags in the rules template:

<MODIFIER XMLID="REDUCEDEND3E" DISPLAY="Less END Cost" BASECOST="0" LVLSTART="1" LVLVAL="1" >
			  <OPTION XMLID="HALFEND3E" BASECOST="0" LVLSTART="1" LVLVAL="1" LVLPOWER="2" DISPLAY="(<!--MATH--> <!--POWER_END--> / 2.01<!--/MATH--> END)" DEFINITION="Set Multiplier to 1.25">
			  </OPTION>
			  <OPTION XMLID="FOURTHEND3E" BASECOST="0" LVLSTART="1" LVLVAL="2" LVLPOWER="4" DISPLAY="(<!--MATH--> <!--POWER_END--> / 4.01<!--/MATH--> END)" DEFINITION="Set Multiplier to 1.5">
			  </OPTION>
			  <OPTION XMLID="EIGHTHEND3E" BASECOST="0" LVLSTART="1" LVLVAL="3" LVLPOWER="8" DISPLAY="(<!--MATH--> <!--POWER_END--> / 8.01<!--/MATH--> END)" DEFINITION="Set Multiplier to 1.75">
			  </OPTION>		  
			</MODIFIER>

It's super messy in the program, but it gets passed through to the export filter just fine and looks correct. 

Edit to add:  I'm tweaking it as I go.  I'll post whatever ends up being my final version.

I've found something called xmlstarlet, which is kind of like awk and sed for XML.  I'll add the cosmetic Modifier with a note to the user to remember to set the cost multiplier by hand, then come up with an xmlstarlet script to check for the presence of the Modifier and do two things: make sure the cost multiplier has been set, and set it if it hasn't, and to add an APPEREND attribute to the power, set to double the default per level of Reduced END.  That has the added bonus of making the character fully HD compliant.