Photo
- - - - -

Feature request: Allow Modifiers and Adders to set cost multiple

Best Answer Simon , 31 July 2017 - 10:19 AM

I've been thinking about this...and honestly I don't like it.  It would require more than just template support, the UI would need to have that added in so that it could be set/changed from within the application...and it would just be plain confusing for the user, IMO.  "So...A +1 Modifier is going to double the cost of the Power, but it has a 0.333 Cost Multiplier on it...does that affect the cost of the Modifier, or the cost of the overall Power?"

To mimic the 1/3 cost of Spells in FH, just make a List with a 0.333 Cost Multiplier and put all Spells into that List.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Goodwin

Chris Goodwin

Social justice globehead

• 4,384 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:35 AM

Hi Dan, 

I'm working on some custom rules templates, and I was wondering if it would be possible to allow Modifiers and Adders to set a Cost Multiple for Powers, assuming those are allowed in the campaign rules.  If Cost Multiples aren't allowed, it would just ignore the attribute.

A use case I can see for this would be that in a Fantasy Hero game, a GM could do something like this in a custom template:

<MODIFIER XMLID="SPELL" DISPLAY="Spell" BASECOST="-.5" MULTIPLIER="0.33">
			<SOURCE>Fantasy Hero</SOURCE>
			<DEFINITION>(Fantasy Hero, page 246) This Limitation represents the fact that a spell 
				cannot use the same combat modifiers and maneuvers as regular attacks.</DEFINITION>
		</MODIFIER>

Then any Power with the Spell Limitation would automatically have its cost multiplied by 1/3. 

Thanks!

Chris Goodwin
The Big Thread of Helpful HowtosThe Unofficial HERO System Forum | HERO System Low Heroic Protocols | Old School ChampionsHow to Play HERO System | Robot Warriors to HERO System Current Editions

There are two paths your character can take into the game: the path of the game guidelines document, or the path of the Character Approver 9000. Choose your path wisely.

#2 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,495 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:19 AM   Best Answer

I've been thinking about this...and honestly I don't like it.  It would require more than just template support, the UI would need to have that added in so that it could be set/changed from within the application...and it would just be plain confusing for the user, IMO.  "So...A +1 Modifier is going to double the cost of the Power, but it has a 0.333 Cost Multiplier on it...does that affect the cost of the Modifier, or the cost of the overall Power?"

To mimic the 1/3 cost of Spells in FH, just make a List with a 0.333 Cost Multiplier and put all Spells into that List.

• Chris Goodwin likes this

I am but mad north by northwest.  When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.

#3 Chris Goodwin

Chris Goodwin

Social justice globehead

• 4,384 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:17 AM

Once I started testing it I figured as much.  Thanks for looking into it!

Chris Goodwin
The Big Thread of Helpful HowtosThe Unofficial HERO System Forum | HERO System Low Heroic Protocols | Old School ChampionsHow to Play HERO System | Robot Warriors to HERO System Current Editions

There are two paths your character can take into the game: the path of the game guidelines document, or the path of the Character Approver 9000. Choose your path wisely.