Prone & DCV with ranged weapons

I believe real-world military tactics should have already answered this question for you as part of training soldiers on "what to do when someone is shooting at you." I'm not a veteran myself so this information is purely based on what I could find from sites talking about firefights and tactics. In general, I believe you want to:

• Minimize the target area you present to attackers. Going prone can do that but is not a guarantee as the real-world data provided by @rravenwood indicates. In game terms, I think it is appropriate to double-dip and apply both range modifiers and hit-location modifiers from a high shot when the attacker is trying to hit a smaller target at range.
  • Find soft cover that offers concealment from attackers. Ideally you'd want total concealment because your cover isn't going to offer any protection. In game terms, you can use the normal concealment rules or hit location rules, but any hits will do full damage.
  • Find hard cover that offers protection from attackers. You get concealment and armor at the expense of mobility and possibly field of fire.
  • Neutralize your attacker before they can neutralize you. The best defense is a good offense.

FYI: Here's an interesting resource for firefight dynamics for military science fiction. This information makes me wonder why there aren't OCV penalties for run-and-gun:

Your link is a very interesting read. Thanks for that!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This information makes me wonder why there aren't OCV penalties for run-and-gun

There used to be: -1 OCV for attacking after a half move.  That was removed a couple editions ago, supposedly it was discouraging movement in combat (somewhere, never saw it in my games), but the penalty makes sense.  I still apply it.

Yeah, 3e had it but it got dropped in 4e. Maneuvers which included movement like Move-By were exempt from that modifier too, since it was built in to their normal penalty.

Honestly, we always forgot about it anyway in 3e. 

It's SORT of back in terms of actually running while shooting in terms of the Strafe maneuver and Snap Shot. Half-move and shoot would be a measured approach with some time to aim. And of course half-move and shoot does preclude Brace and Set, which is the system's main mechanic for a stationary aimed shot.