Did you name your computer?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Tech priest support

Tech priest support

Very Powerful Hero

• 268 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:52 PM

I decided to upgrade my serviceable but aging athlon fx dual core computer in like 2015 or so. After attempts at buying a suitable replacement I said a few nasty words because it seemed like the world was conspiring to keep me from upgrading and so I made some design decisions, (namely "to hell with Intel!") started looking for parts, checking reviews, comparing prices, making estimates of cost to performance ratios and then bought the parts to make a budget computer that could game, do video work and 3d modeling.

I cannibalized a few parts from older systems and ended up with an AMF FX 6300 hexcore (even if I have an issue with calling it a true hexcore) running at over 3 GHz, an older but very well reviewed gigabyte mobo with a solid reputation for dependability and durability, a good budget evga video card and, after putting it all together in a Rosewill galaxy case, said a few prayers to the Machine God, lit some incense as an offering to the machine spirits and hit the power switch.

After noticing a distinct and pleasing lack of explosions, loud snapping noises, sparks, smoke or flames I transferred my old windows to it and ended up with a very satisfactory home computer at a bargain price.

Given that it had seemed like the world had been conspiring to keep me from upgrading my dual core system in various ways, I named my blessed new computer "Victory" as I felt getting her up and running was a personal victory to me.

So anyone else here has me their computers?
  • Nolgroth likes this
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be very uncomfortable if you're one of the facts that needs altering." The Doctor.

#2 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

Medium unnatural humanoid

• 9,505 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

Does "Desktop-0F5HU63" count as naming?  :)

I used to name my computers and the hard drive devices. I just stopped doing it along the way for no particular reason. These days it is a challenge to name my Fallout 4 characters. Having to name one or more computers is just not going to happen.

Hopefully building your computer drew blood. The gods of computer technology are not placated without blood sacrifice. At least, any computer I cut, scraped or otherwise injured myself in the making of, always seems to work better than those that fly together without issue.

And finally, congrats on attaining "Victory" in your endeavor. :D

• Tech priest support likes this

#3 Hermit

Hermit

Resplendent Recluse

• 40,639 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:20 PM

Cupcake

“I've looked at the world for quite a few years now and I've found that if I don't laugh, I'll probably end up crying."
- Prince Kheldar of Drasnia aka Silk

Meet the People of Campaign City

The Adventures of "Fish Guy"

#4 sinanju

sinanju

I like tacos

• 3,500 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

I've always named mine. Tinhead. CURE. Most recently, Colossus.

God is my co-pilot, but Satan is my door gunner!

Brock Samson: I'm gonna go outside and get some of that action.
Doctor Venture: Do you want to change first?
Brock Samson: Nah, I like wearing a tux when I'm killin' guys. It makes me feel like James Bond.

#5 Bazza

Bazza

Ancient Geek

• 42,934 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:18 PM

"Macintosh HD".
I'm gonna live forever. So far so good.
Ne'er will the light of liberty and wisdom be extinguished

"And if I don't hang around, our old gambling grounds, it does not mean that I've forgotten, we believed, and I still do" -- Don Walker of Cold Chisel

#6 Blue

Blue

Uncomprehending Eye

• 16,418 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:34 PM

Blue's Computer

Blue's Mac

Mission Control

#7 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

Decuple Millennial Master

• 12,394 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:12 PM

My huge Asus gaming laptop is named Monstro.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This Week in MMOs

#8 Badger

Badger

Anti-Social Neighbor

• 18,483 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:20 PM

I call mine (censored)

:shock: 

• Hermit likes this
- a follower of the evil Punxsutawney Phil, devourer of the media. - I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. - Ewokses is tasty. - Badger's Ewokhunters: Where freaks and outcasts can find a home. - HELP! I am in an eccentric orbit.

#9 Old Man

Old Man

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery.

• 41,769 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:34 PM

My convention for personal computers is ship names. Local logins are crew positions e.g. Quartermaster or Coxswain, and subdirectories are ship departments such as Engineering or Hold.

I used to do something similar with castles for regular workstations but I haven't owned a non-laptop in aeons.
...and that's when the destruction began.

#10 Michael Hopcroft

Michael Hopcroft

Your Tax Dollars at Play

• 26,324 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:49 PM

I don't call mine anything. It won't come when I do, so I stopped trying.

• Lucius, Iuz the Evil and Burrito Boy like this

6th Edition is for entertainment purposes only.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to make crummy re-imaginings.

"Without Love, I'd have no Anger. I wouldn't believe in righteousness." -- Bernie Taupin

#11 Badger

Badger

Anti-Social Neighbor

• 18,483 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:49 PM

SO, in essence I am calling mine the "poop deck"  :winkgrin: 

- a follower of the evil Punxsutawney Phil, devourer of the media. - I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. - Ewokses is tasty. - Badger's Ewokhunters: Where freaks and outcasts can find a home. - HELP! I am in an eccentric orbit.

#12 Cancer

Cancer

Ontology oncology

• 49,759 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:50 PM

Last time I got to name a machine was a bit over 20 years ago, and I named it with my newborn daughter's nickname, "magpie".
... abnormal, non-Euclidean, and loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours.

#13 Tech priest support

Tech priest support

Very Powerful Hero

• 268 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:23 AM

I call mine (censored)

:shock:

The machine god will get you for that...
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be very uncomfortable if you're one of the facts that needs altering." The Doctor.

#14 Tech priest support

Tech priest support

Very Powerful Hero

• 268 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:26 AM

Does "Desktop-0F5HU63" count as naming?  :)

I used to name my computers and the hard drive devices. I just stopped doing it along the way for no particular reason. These days it is a challenge to name my Fallout 4 characters. Having to name one or more computers is just not going to happen.

Hopefully building your computer drew blood. The gods of computer technology are not placated without blood sacrifice. At least, any computer I cut, scraped or otherwise injured myself in the making of, always seems to work better than those that fly together without issue.

And finally, congrats on attaining "Victory" in your endeavor. :D

I call upon the machine god to bless your system for that.

#15 death tribble

death tribble

Lolth's Pet Mischief Maker

• 33,450 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:07 AM

Maurice Vendergelder the Third

'We will Play Nice !' - The Society of Ben

The Tribble is angry, my friend, very angry.

People are strange when you're a Tribble, faces seem ugly when you're alone.

Dictator and President for Life of the Non Gaming Discussion Forums on Hero Games.

#16 Ternaugh

Ternaugh

Trust Issues?

• 7,430 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:43 AM

Many years back, the late housemate watched me walk into some shelving, and basically shrug off the hit. He nicknamed me Mongo from the incident, and the various devices I've had over the years have held some variation of that name. I've so far managed to avoid setting the SSID of my wireless network to "rockridge".

Very damaged. Zathras can never have anything nice.

I don't know what you're all talking about, but the Mustache wins. It's an irrevocable law of nature.

#17 DasBroot

DasBroot

Bat-Noogier

• 1,047 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:28 AM

Oh yes indeed. Solomon, Grundy, Malakai, Balthazar, and my work computer - made of components harvested from a half dozen 'dead' store computers that come back to the office for data wiping and disposal - is named Lazarus.

My home Wifi is creatively named MyFi though.  My wife has no patience for the grandiose. :)

"I threw a rock at him!"

*silence*

".... it was a *big* rock."

#18 GM Joe

GM Joe

• 686 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

Last time I got to name a machine was a bit over 20 years ago, and I named it with my newborn daughter's nickname, "magpie".

Cute!

The last time I named a computer was when I hadn't yet had a girlfriend. So that would be around 1983.

GMing since 1982.

#19 Lucius

Lucius

Too Many To List Now!

• 15,176 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:13 PM

I don't always name them, but this one is Stuart

Lucius Alexander

What, you were expecting "Palindromedary?"

#20 Enforcer84

Enforcer84

Imperial Viceroy

• 64,259 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

Last one was Blue Thunder.

my AMD build is Mjolnir. 

"Here's my favorite little fact. If anyone is ever described to you as a nutritionist, just be slightly wary, right? What they're saying may be perfectly true, but "nutritionist" isn't a protected term. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. "Dietician" is the legally protected term. "Dietician" is like "dentist", and "nutritionist" is like "tooth-i-ologist." - Dara O'Briain

2014: Hero A Day, 10 Year Anniversary Thread.
2009: Else Earth Gods of Olympus
Project 2006:
DC/Marvel Write up compilation
Project 2004:
Hero A Day Thread