Sign in to follow this  
Tech priest support

Did you name your computer?

I decided to upgrade my serviceable but aging athlon fx dual core computer in like 2015 or so. After attempts at buying a suitable replacement I said a few nasty words because it seemed like the world was conspiring to keep me from upgrading and so I made some design decisions, (namely "to hell with Intel!") started looking for parts, checking reviews, comparing prices, making estimates of cost to performance ratios and then bought the parts to make a budget computer that could game, do video work and 3d modeling.

I cannibalized a few parts from older systems and ended up with an AMF FX 6300 hexcore (even if I have an issue with calling it a true hexcore) running at over 3 GHz, an older but very well reviewed gigabyte mobo with a solid reputation for dependability and durability, a good budget evga video card and, after putting it all together in a Rosewill galaxy case, said a few prayers to the Machine God, lit some incense as an offering to the machine spirits and hit the power switch.

After noticing a distinct and pleasing lack of explosions, loud snapping noises, sparks, smoke or flames I transferred my old windows to it and ended up with a very satisfactory home computer at a bargain price.

Given that it had seemed like the world had been conspiring to keep me from upgrading my dual core system in various ways, I named my blessed new computer "Victory" as I felt getting her up and running was a personal victory to me.

So anyone else here has me their computers?

Does "Desktop-0F5HU63" count as naming?  :)

I used to name my computers and the hard drive devices. I just stopped doing it along the way for no particular reason. These days it is a challenge to name my Fallout 4 characters. Having to name one or more computers is just not going to happen.

Hopefully building your computer drew blood. The gods of computer technology are not placated without blood sacrifice. At least, any computer I cut, scraped or otherwise injured myself in the making of, always seems to work better than those that fly together without issue.

And finally, congrats on attaining "Victory" in your endeavor. :D

My convention for personal computers is ship names. Local logins are crew positions e.g. Quartermaster or Coxswain, and subdirectories are ship departments such as Engineering or Hold.

I used to do something similar with castles for regular workstations but I haven't owned a non-laptop in aeons.

Does "Desktop-0F5HU63" count as naming?  :)

I used to name my computers and the hard drive devices. I just stopped doing it along the way for no particular reason. These days it is a challenge to name my Fallout 4 characters. Having to name one or more computers is just not going to happen.

Hopefully building your computer drew blood. The gods of computer technology are not placated without blood sacrifice. At least, any computer I cut, scraped or otherwise injured myself in the making of, always seems to work better than those that fly together without issue.

And finally, congrats on attaining "Victory" in your endeavor. :D

I call upon the machine god to bless your system for that.

Many years back, the late housemate watched me walk into some shelving, and basically shrug off the hit. He nicknamed me Mongo from the incident, and the various devices I've had over the years have held some variation of that name. I've so far managed to avoid setting the SSID of my wireless network to "rockridge".

Oh yes indeed. Solomon, Grundy, Malakai, Balthazar, and my work computer - made of components harvested from a half dozen 'dead' store computers that come back to the office for data wiping and disposal - is named Lazarus.

My home Wifi is creatively named MyFi though.  My wife has no patience for the grandiose. :)

Last time I got to name a machine was a bit over 20 years ago, and I named it with my newborn daughter's nickname, "magpie".

Cute!

The last time I named a computer was when I hadn't yet had a girlfriend. So that would be around 1983.

Computers become obsolete so quickly nowadays, I don't seem to have the time to get attached enough to one to name it.

I got Monstro in 2012 and built this desktop at the end of 2010. Not that I'm attached to either one, but if we carry that analogy forward, that's like saying you wouldn't get too attached to a five or seven year old kid. Rather Swiftian concept.

I got Monstro in 2012 and built this desktop at the end of 2010. Not that I'm attached to either one, but if we carry that analogy forward, that's like saying you wouldn't get too attached to a five or seven year old kid. Rather Swiftian concept.

Most kids that I know that age have a lot more personality than my computer. I also think they're more fun.