Sign in to follow this  
Tech priest support

Did you name your computer?

Total agreement!

Yeah, I've spent pretty the last 10 hours (off and on) installing a new HD-TV and PS4, about 90% of which was trial and error (and cussing, very much cussing).  The directions were on occasion helpgul, but it seemed to be put together as if someone was writing it down as he was thinking, rather than coherently in a reasonable order (or at least an order that I can understand)

I learn better by seeing, a demonstration preferred, diagrams a plus. Random technical terms, not helpful.  I know only a little more about technical terms, than Brian the Neanderthal who just came in from the Time Machine

Well, I am starting to learn:  When you are installing electronics, throw out the directions, and see if someone made a YouTube tutorial for it.  (I mean these instruction manuals are awful)

Well you finally figured out that those are not directions for assembling the electronics, they are manuals on masochism and self-flagellation. 

I name my computers, usually after computers from anime series but I'm going to have to branch out into robots and androids (more likely gynoids) soon. The computer I'm typing this on is named Yggdrasil, after the mainframe of heaven in Ah! My Goddess! (which is of course named after the World Tree of Norse mythology). A previous computer was named Omoikane, after the ship's computer from Martian Successor Nadesico, which was in turn named after a Shinto goddess of knowledge.

Well you finally figured out that those are not directions for assembling the electronics, they are manuals on masochism and self-flagellation. 

Heh, yeah, well, I've got the thing working, I still probably need to do some tinkering with the picture/sound programming, but I wish to wait a few days for that fun.

I did find a couple of helpful things in them, unfortunately they were in the back of the manual, and would have been much more helpful about 5-10 pages earlier (and 30 minutes of frustration could have been saved)

Like I said I named earlier ones Zen and Tron.

As to other sf inspired computer names, how about Boz from "Omikron the nomad soul"?

Proteus from "Demon seed".

Simone from "SimOne".

Deep thought from "hgttg".

I've settled on a name: Skynet