Futuristic Sports & Entertainment

tkdguy

Self-driving cars are starting to become more common. Would a variant of NASCAR with those vehicles work? Removing the human element may drive (no pun intended) many fans away.

There is already a, "Roborace" that's in development as a Formula E support series. I don't think they've done much actual racing yet, just testing.

Self-driving races might be of interest to some of the AI sports fans. But they'd likely be following multi-threading core optimisation contests. 

The loss of the human element would probably mean having to add weapons to circuit racing to keep up interest. :)

Don't forget virtual reality resorts. Going into your VR pod and choosing a list of resorts that you can spend your day in. Going to the Iota-4 Snow Resort and ski and snowboard it up, or the Delarian Beltway Tropicasphere and cruising on your Jet Ski while viewing beautiful opalescent crystal formations in a cave right outside your cottage. Or if you want wackier things, go to Mesozoic Meadows for a dino-riffic experience that is also much safer than Jurassic Park, or the Glucose Archipelago for all with a sweet tooth who used to play Candy Land and celebrate Halloween back on Earth. Better yet, you could access them from various locations, and since they are online, you can chill with your friend who, in reality, is 532 parsecs away. There would be so much fun to have, so let's hope you don't get addicted to a false reality and see no more pleasure in real life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2017 at 3:55 AM, tkdguy said:

Food for thought: I just came across an article explaining why new musical instruments have trouble becoming mainstream.

So while a lot of these instruments are futuristic in design, they may not have a bright future.

I can't actually take that article entirely at face value given the immense amount of music that the Roland T303 (and successors) has made in the last 36 years (from today, 31 years as of the article date). The 303 is literally the instrument behind the entire creation of the Electronic Body Music genre, which alongside Industrial, and their much lauded Turntable go on to define a literal explosion of genres and subgenres in the 90s.

Sure, the marketing barrier might be the largest hurdle - but mostly I wager that none of these instruments are making new Music (versus just a way to make the same music with a new sound) is a large contributing factor. Maybe what we need with these futuristic instruments is futuristic musical genres to go with them...

• 1 month later...

What about interactive holograms? You could have holographic funhouses, zoos, and museums.

A couple of things in the following video have already been developed. At least one has been proven to be a hoax, and a couple are just ridiculous (get ready to head desk on #1). But if a few of these are available -- and affordable -- in the future, they would be provide a lot of entertainment.

That was a horribly uncritical and uninformative video. Ugh. Some of the "holograms" are nothing of the sort, some of them weren't filmed from perspectives that made it clear what was going on, and some were just CGI special effects.

Still, the laser plasma stuff is cool. I wonder how hard it would be to make a lightsaber that way.

Economics, perhaps. Legality, probably not.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to have a lightsaber too, but I doubt they'll be around soon, if ever. 

But this misses the point of the thread. My question in the last video I posted was whether interactive holograms would be a possible form of entertainment in the future. 

/me scratches his head

Why wouldn't they be? Interactive 2D images have been a form of entertainment for decades. Interactive 3D displays have been used for entertainment for a few years now. Given the trends already in place in society, it would take massive changes to result in world in which volumetric projection technology was mature but NOT used for some kind of entertainment.