You get to have ONE RPG made...

Appleseed would be pretty easily done using HERO, GURPS, Mekton Zeta, Cyberpunk 2020 or Heavy Gear. The main requirement would be to have suit/vehicle/powers building rules and an interesting tactical combat system.

That got me thinking that a Dominion Tank Police RPG might be fun. Looked it up and turns out someone did it in 1999, but I'd not heard of the company or the system they use. In any case, ditto for the above, although I'd likely prefer HERO for Dominion as the tone is much lighter and people tend to survive the fights, so HERO's tunable lethality would be handy.

That one's a customized version of Big Eyes, Small Mouth. If you like the setting, it's probably worth picking up just as a sourcebook. (Probably on eBay or other second hand market.) They always did a good job on their licensed anime games and sourcebooks, IMO. I have a few for other settings (Tenchi Muyo mainly.) The Tri-Stat system used is a point buy system that's not terrible, but not too detailed. It's basically a very rules-light Hero-inspired system. The default lethality is usually pretty low.

Guardians of Order went under a while ago, and I think most of their IPs were bought by White Wolf, so some of their stuff is still available as PDF. However, the licensed stuff probably isn't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 8/18/2017 at 9:16 PM, Old Man said:

My RPG would be an interdimensional mythic fantasy that drew from all myths--Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Norse, Celtic, Gothic, Russian, Indian, Native American, Central American, Polynesian, Chinese, Japanese, African, etc., and merged them into an Elric- or Planescape-like multiverse. 

I'm very much interested in a Elric- or Planescape-like multiverse RPG using HERO. Have you considered implementing this game with HERO, and if you have, have you thought about the way to implement alignment or allegiances in HERO? Specifically the Law, Balance, Chaos spectrum from the Moorcock Eternal Champion multiverse rather than from the AD&D nine alignment system used by Planescape.

8 hours ago, borbetomagnus said:

I'm very much interested in a Elric- or Planescape-like multiverse RPG using HERO. Have you considered implementing this game with HERO, and if you have, have you thought about the way to implement alignment or allegiances in HERO? Specifically the Law, Balance, Chaos spectrum from the Moorcock Eternal Champion multiverse rather than from the AD&D nine alignment system used by Planescape.

I wouldn't bother implementing alignments/allegiances on a mechanical level.

For inspiration, check out this link.

26 minutes ago, assault said:

I wouldn't bother implementing alignments/allegiances on a mechanical level.

For inspiration, check out this link.

Thanks for sharing the link to the Michael Moorcock characters. I was considering using a Psychological Complication from HS6E1 for the Allegiances and building a few rough guidelines for each of them: Law, Balance, Chaos. I see this as a Psychological Limitation under Disadvantages for Corum, 

Psychological Limitation:  Sworn To Uphold And Serve Law, To Oppose 
	Chaos (VC, S)

Where I'm going with this is that I've always wanted to run a fantasy game where allegiances to Law, Balance, and Chaos (L/B/C) hold more influence on characters than the Good vs. Evil axis. I can imagine a player character party, or even NPCs or other beings that would be encountered, as having a group loyalty toward one another out of their allegiance to L/B/C. With this you could have a PC group that contained both good and evil characters, but their overriding fidelity was based around the L/B/C axis. I wanted to do this in D&D / AD&D with the nine alignment system, but found it rather restrictive. The BRP Stormbringer/Elric! RPG was one where we did it some years ago and it worked well since Allegiance is an inherent part of the system. I want to do it in HERO to see how well it works. My current challenge is finding a local gaming group that is interested in this type of fantasy game.

I, too, would not bother trying to implement an actual alignment system in Hero.  For one thing, I hate the D&D alignment system.

Moorcockian Law/Chaos/Balance mechanics would seem to fall into two categories: Loyalties, and Favors/Debts.  The former would be a psych lim; the latter some sort of social complication.  Certainly Elric directly benefited on several occasions from his relationship with Arioch, and his ultimate betrayal of Chaos (spoiler alert for a book that came out fifty years ago) cost him dearly.

1 minute ago, Old Man said:

I, too, would not bother trying to implement an actual alignment system in Hero.  For one thing, I hate the D&D alignment system.

Moorcockian Law/Chaos/Balance mechanics would seem to fall into two categories: Loyalties, and Favors/Debts.  The former would be a psych lim; the latter some sort of social complication.  Certainly Elric directly benefited on several occasions from his relationship with Arioch, and his ultimate betrayal of Chaos (spoiler alert for a book that came out fifty years ago) cost him dearly.

I appreciate your recommendation too. Loyalties and Favors/Debts is a way to do it that I hadn't considered. I was leaning toward Complications. And I wasn't planning to build an actual alignment system in Hero, but provide three general Psychological Limitations guidelines for Law, Balance, and Chaos. Each allegiance would have a Complication Frequency that would provide general guidelines for how frequent (CP worth) the allegiance limitation affected the character in the campaign sessions.

On 8/2/2018 at 8:19 PM, Old Man said:

Thanks for the spoiler-never read the books at all.

On 8/15/2017 at 10:38 PM, mrinku said:

GDW House System (I.e. Twilight 2000/Traveller New Era) might be your ticket there. But I could see it working well with HERO too. Or some other flavour of Traveller.

In this vein: the Traveler 2300AD rules are, in my opinion, underrated. It took time and work to come up with a consistent and comprehensive set of task resolution difficulties (they didn't do it for you), but it was very easy to run once you had that down and pretty flexible. Another really great system for crunchier tech-heavy settings, especially vehicles, is SilCore. It was the underlying chassis for Heavy Gear, The Jovian Chronicles, and Tribe8 and has some great rules for varying the level of cinematic realism you want. 

Could we go with Barbara Eden? ?

If I can only have one genre: Pulp.

If I can only have one system: Hero.

Now, both of those are "cheat" answers because Pulp is really a style that covers many genres and Hero can simulate anything. In other words, I was thinking, "If this were a Wish spell and the adjudicator was Gary Gygax how would I word it?" In the spirit of the OP's question, however, if I could only have one my first choice would be:

Mercenaries, Spies, and Private Eyes.

Runners up: Top Secret SI and Victory Games' fabulous James Bond 007 RPG.

I guess that boils down to "Action / Pulp Hero."