Taser

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 massey

massey

Powerful Hero

• 2,446 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:07 PM

I've had numerous clients who fought through a taser.  These are not guys with particularly great Ego or other stats.  They're guys with straight-8s.

A "real world" taser is probably a 3D6 or 4D6 EB, with limited range, a 14- activation (sometimes it gets caught in clothing or just doesn't work for some reason), and whatever other limitations are appropriate.  Maybe even a "can't reduce below 1 Stun" custom limitation since people don't seem to lose consciousness.  That's enough to put a normal dude on the ground and make him really not want to fight.  It also leaves open the possibility that the attacker rolls like crap and people shrug it off.

Movie tasers and other things like that may be different, but at least for the real versions I'd get away from "auto-stunning" and other effects.  They just aren't that good.

#22 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

Decuple Millennial Master

• 12,523 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:33 AM

I've had numerous clients who fought through a taser.  These are not guys with particularly great Ego or other stats.  They're guys with straight-8s.

When you say "taser" do you mean the Taser brand device that shoots two prongs into someone then incapacitates them with an electric charge, or those sparky "stun guns" that have two electrodes on them that you touch to someone?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This Week in MMOs

#23 massey

massey

Powerful Hero

• 2,446 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:06 PM

When you say "taser" do you mean the Taser brand device that shoots two prongs into someone then incapacitates them with an electric charge, or those sparky "stun guns" that have two electrodes on them that you touch to someone?

The ones that shoot prongs into people.  The ones police carry.

#24 Hyper-Man

Hyper-Man

Caped Madman!

• 14,822 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

http://electronics.h...otgun-shell.htm

#25 Tech

Tech

Millennial Master

• 1,598 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

I've seen tasers built as NND and EB Stun only. What do you think would be an appropriate def for the NND aspect?

This was for a Champions hero, so the damage can exceed any real world item. As it is, I've got my answer. As has been said more than once (paraphrased) "The advantage of using the Hero System is that the same attack can be built numerous ways."

• Hyper-Man likes this

#26 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

Decuple Millennial Master

• 12,523 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

The ones that shoot prongs into people.  The ones police carry.

OK. I didn't realize they had such a high failure rate outside of failing to make contact with both prongs or where clothing interfered. 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This Week in MMOs