My HERO System Library

Steve Long

I'm in the middle of the massive task of organizing my books (approximately 8,000 of them) now that I've moved back into my house after 10 months of renovation, remodeling, and expansion. Today I started on the gaming section, and I thought y'all might enjoy seeing what my HERO System library looks like, all organized and shelved proper-like. ;) I don't necessarily have every single licensed product, but I think I have every (or nearly every) book published by Hero Games itself during its long history.

HERO System Library 01.jpg

My question is actually how Steve intends to fill those five empty shelves....

I have 8,000 books -- believe me, I will have no trouble filling the many, many shelves I had built into my house as part of the renovation project. I'll try to remember to post some pictures of the whole shebang once I have all the books properly organized (a task that is taking up most of my time at present).

And multiple copies of many of them!  (Why?)

In some cases it's because they're books I wrote and I just happen to have several copies (often at a minimum two:  a "working copy" I use and make notes in, and a pristine one that stays on the shelves). In others it's because some person or other has given me a second copy, or I picked it up as part of some bulk purchase, or what have you.

At some point when I have the time I'm going to take the duplicates off the shelf and then take a picture to compare the relative number of pages published per edition, just out of curiosity.

I have vague memories of DI being a single perfect bound volume but don't recall the box (however, I was borrowing it off someone!). Is that right - perfect bound AND in a box?

And would that make it the first perfect bound HERO product, or was that something else, like Fantasy HERO?

I have vague memories of DI being a single perfect bound volume but don't recall the box (however, I was borrowing it off someone!). Is that right - perfect bound AND in a box?

And would that make it the first perfect bound HERO product, or was that something else, like Fantasy HERO?

Perfect-bound FH, first edition -- June 1985

Perfect-bound DI, second edition -- November 1985

I can't say for sure (without doing a bit more research) that FH was the first perfect-bound Hero Games product, but it predates the second edition of DI (the first being saddle-bound and in a boxed set) by several months.

I can't say for sure (without doing a bit more research) that FH was the first perfect-bound Hero Games product, but it predates the second edition of DI (the first being saddle-bound and in a boxed set) by several months.

What is the product code on the boxed edition of DI? HERO17B?

Perfect-bound DI, second edition -- November 1985

When was the DI boxed set released?  My perfect-bound copy of DI shows "First Printing November 1985" on the title page, so I assume the boxed set shows a different printing date?

Thanks in advance! :)