Photo
- - - - -

Downloading Hero Designer...it's disappeared?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tywyll

Tywyll

Low-Powered Superhero

• 333 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:01 AM

So I've not played HERO in years. After a drought I was thinking of picking things back up. I come over to the new website and see everything's changed. I also see that there is no record of my Hero Designer purchases in my account.

Am I missing something? I bought it back during 5th ed and even updated to 6th before I left. But now I show nothing in my account. I even bought some prefabs. :(

#2 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,515 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:15 PM

At the start of 2013, the site was re-vamped (transferred to new software with ongoing support).  The forums were able to be transferred to the new software (to maintain the 10+ years of posting history), but the old store was not (it was entirely custom). 

HD prior to the transfer was sold under a 2 year service contract model -- that has LONG since elapsed.  We intentionally kept the cost to purchase HD (under the new version purchase model) the same as the old service contract -- it costs the same $25 as it would have to renew your service contract. 

In short (too late): you'll need to re-purchase HD if you haven't saved the downloads from 4+ years ago.

I am but mad north by northwest.  When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.

#3 Tywyll

Tywyll

Low-Powered Superhero

• 333 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:19 AM

Hey,

Yeah, I knew about the 2 year service contract. I'd let it expire once (before 6th) but was still able to redownload it. Sadly, I pulled out the old laptop with my program on it and it appears to be bricked for some reasons though I am going to have someone see if they can salvage the hard drive.

I have to say this is really disappointing, that records were wiped. Considering I bought 5th and 6th gen iterations plus packs (which I have found on a spare drive but not the .exe file for the main program), it feels like a lot of money thrown away to be told to just 'buy it again'. :angry: 

#4 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,515 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

Nothing was "thrown away" -- any applications or books that you bought continue to work just fine.  Maintaining backups of your purchases is always your responsibility.  This site allowed re-downloading of any purchased content for as long as it could, and gave close to a full year's notice prior to switching to the new software.

Under the new software, you can re-download any purchased content, but (again) that is a simple convenience.  The purchaser is still ultimately responsible for their own backups.

I am but mad north by northwest.  When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.

#5 Tywyll

Tywyll

Low-Powered Superhero

• 333 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:26 AM

Purchase records were apparently in fact, thrown away. That's the part I find annoying and upsetting. Keeping an excel log of the old records shouldn't have been difficult. But whatever. I haven't dealt with any other company with downloadable products that doesn't allow you access to them later (Steam, Drivethru, Amazon, et al).

Okay, last question.

If we've still got out receipt, does that matter? I found my original receipt from purchasing the old files. Can that help at all?

"We've received your order for $51.96.

If you ordered only downloadable products, you can download them at https://secure.compn...orderStatus.jsp

Otherwise, your products will be shipped to you immediately at the address below:
Matthew Skipper
(Address Redacted)

Items Ordered:

1. Hero Designer v3 (DOJHERO740) -- 1 @ $25.00 ea.
2. Bestiary Character Pack (DOJHER0701) -- 1 @ $6.99 ea.
3. Ultimate Martial Artist and Ninja Hero Character Pack (DOJHERO705) -- 1 @ $5.99 ea.
4. Fantasy Hero Character Pack (DOJHERO713) -- 1 @ $8.99 ea.
5. Champions and Champions Universe Character Pack (DOJHER0702) -- 1 @ $4.99 ea.

#6 Simon

Simon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,515 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:11 AM

You haven't thought this through or been listening.  A $25 purchase from a small company does not entitle you to free downloads for life.  A $25 purchase from a large company does not entitle you to free downloads for life.  Hero Games went above and beyond in communicating the change and accommodating users during and after the transfer to the new site.  You're coming in 4 years after the fact and looking for giveaways -- not going to happen.

You purchased a 2 year support contract for HD.  That entitled you to updates and downloads for 2 years.  We supported that.  We even manually transferred current support contract holders to the new system for 2 years after the transfer (so long as their contracts were still active).

You are WELL outside of that window.  If you want to get access to the current version of HD, you are going to need to purchase it -- just like anyone else.