Tech priest support

Name a RPG system you can't stand.

I really could not stand the system used in cthulhutech 1e. I think it was the framewerk (sic) system. It was d10 based but dividing our your roll was a task. You could go by highest single die, highest pair, triple, etc. You could go for a straight with several numbers in order and to make it worse you could roll a standard success or even a high success and a critical failure in the same roll!

What's your worse RPG system and why?

Heroes Unlimited. It definitely did not do what it said on the box - it was designed to be munchkinned as far as I can see and it also appeared to actively discriminate against those that did not use the 'good' powers....

Heroes Unlimited. It definitely did not do what it said on the box - it was designed to be munchkinned as far as I can see and it also appeared to actively discriminate against those that did not use the 'good' powers....

Damn. I love Heroes Unlimited. It's the first thing that ever got me interested in superheroes. I love the character types (alien, cyborg, robot, etc.), the powers, the skills, the character background table, the art...just about everything except the system. If you roll well, you can end up with an alien who can have powers from being an alien but also be a cyborg. But if you end up rolling a character who gets his powers from physical training, you get someone who can punch and kick really hard but has to give up several skills to be able to do so. I didn't have anybody to play the game with so I never had to worry about game balance but of all the characters I created with the book, not a single one of them was a Physical Training character. And several characters I created were made by picking what I wanted from the tables rather than rolling on them. (Which is probably why I fell in love with Hero when I discovered it.) So my enjoyment of Heroes Unlimited was undiluted by actually playing the game and its nostalgia factor is high for me. I can see its warts, though, so it's a love/hate relationship. As for a system that I just can't stand...I'll have to think about it.

Truthfully: I have gaming preferences, but no gaming hatreds. I can't think of a game that if my family or friends enjoyed it, I'd still walk away rather than play.

So how should one characterize the value of a +1 modifier to a bell-curve probability function?

For instance, suppose your team is granted a +1 bonus to everyone's skill rolls on their next Phase. Due to circumstances (i.e., other modifiers) you have to try and make a 4- skill roll (it was 3- before that bonus). Are you the kind of person who sees that +1 and thinks, gee, all I get for that +1 is a crummy 1.4% increase to my chances of success, or are you the kind of person who thinks, woo hoo! my chances just quadrupled (went from 0.46% to 1.85%)?

Very few hates, but I've always been fairly selective with the ones I've played.

Was never a big fan of D&D, though I can't say I hate it, and a fair bit has been played. Like TPS I much prefer a bell curve... but then I started on Traveller and went to The Fantasy Trip well before I started playing D&D anyway. On the other hand, I do quite like the Chaoisum ones, even though they're percentage based (d20 for Pendragon). They're typically opposed percentage rolls (especially for combat), so sneakily do manage to impose a form of probability distribution into things. Pendragon is in my top three along with Champions and Traveller.

Palladium was no favourite, for more solid reasons of stupid design and sucking up good licenses that deserved better.

I can't quite bring myself to hate FUZION - it wasn't bad mechanically (but it wasn't Champions).

I'm going to call out Pathfinder specifically, a dizzying mess of Feats, classes, specializations, and subraces that somehow manages to avoid allowing you to make the character you want, or be realistic, balanced, or fun in any way.  It is by far the best of all d20 systems.

I'll also call out Earthdawn, the game where I literally couldn't figure out how to make a character.

Honorable mention to 1E/2E Shadowrun, a brilliant game hamstrung by an incomprehensibly bad system.  I had fun with it, but only by embracing my inner munchkin.

Fuzion was always a nice Hero lite to me. It wasn't Hero and should not have superseded Hero 5th edition, but I actually enjoyed Fuzion a lot. That's not meant to take away from anybody else's opinion. Just my own.

I so desperately want to find the Earthdawn that Old Man is referring to. Something of a "challenge accepted" response just pinged big time. Which version was that?

I can't stand WoD, but I'm not sure if that's the system or the crapsack setting.

I also hate the WoD system--but I *loooooove* the Mage background. The war for control of reality and the various differing systems of magic. It's great. But the system? Blows chunks.

Ditto for Feng Shui. I love that campaign setting for that game, probably even more than Mage. But for an "action movie roleplaying system" it's waaay too crunchy. I'd port the background over to some rules-lite system like Fudge or Wushu.

I also hate the WoD system--but I *loooooove* the Mage background. The war for control of reality and the various differing systems of magic. It's great. But the system? Blows chunks.

Ditto for Feng Shui. I love that campaign setting for that game, probably even more than Mage. But for an "action movie roleplaying system" it's waaay too crunchy. I'd port the background over to some rules-lite system like Fudge or Wushu.

Fudge Shui? :D

Fuzion was always a nice Hero lite to me. It wasn't Hero and should not have superseded Hero 5th edition, but I actually enjoyed Fuzion a lot. That's not meant to take away from anybody else's opinion. Just my own.

Small correction. Fuzion fell between 4th and 5th edition, so it was 4th edition that it superceded.

Small correction. Fuzion fell between 4th and 5th edition, so it was 4th edition that it superceded.

Maybe it was intended to replace 4th edition but it superseded Hero 5th in the publication schedule. Everybody was waiting for Hero 5th and when Champions: TNM was announced and then that it was going to be a whole new rules set, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth by those on the boards that were waiting patiently for 5th edition. The powers being divided up between three supplements didn't help sell it either. I remember much vitriol on the boards back then and moderation was virtually non-existent. I dub those Cybergames days the Time of Righteous Grumpiness. That made DoJ's acquisition of Hero Games and the subsequent focus on 5th Edition that much more miraculous to the people who felt cheated by the priority that Hero Games (under Bruce Harlick) gave to Fuzion and C:TNM.

Damn. That was late 90's. I had just gotten out of the Army and was transitioning back into civilian life.

I so desperately want to find the Earthdawn that Old Man is referring to. Something of a "challenge accepted" response just pinged big time. Which version was that?

Had to have been 1st ed because it was new when we were trying to figure it out.  I guess it was this one

119508.jpg

though I don't remember the cover being quite that ugly.

Shadowrun was a cool setting and the source books looked very nice. But the system was pants. (That's bad.)

DnD 4th and 5th are awful, and 3rd/Pathfinder are just sooooo messy. The only gaming I've got at the moment is Pathfinder. I spent 3 hours last night drawing up a 16th level big bad. It's only halfway done. Sooo much effing work.

The World of Dorkness system ain't great. I like the crapsack world, at least the original version of it. I believe it was re-written after the first edition and many changes were made. No idea what it's like now.

Palladium worked fine for fantasy. Better than 1e DnD did. But it fell apart quickly with the increased power levels of later games. That it hasn't been updated in decades does not speak well for it either. I wouldn't bother with the game nowadays.

I like Legend of the Five Rings. But the system is very poorly thought out. Very poorly. I've done enough house rules to get it to work but it's still clunky.

Oh and speaking of Shadowrun someone did a great version of it in Hero 5e. Called Shadowpunk IIRC. If I ever go back to Shadowrun I'll use that.