Name a RPG system you can't stand.

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#121 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

Medium unnatural humanoid

• 9,597 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:49 AM

Sometimes, when I start reading the Hero minutia threads, I can't stand Hero.

• bigdamnhero, Jagged and drunkonduty like this

#122 Sam On Maui

Sam On Maui

• 79 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

Honestly, I find if you truly want to hate something, you have to go to their official forums :P

• Nolgroth likes this

#123 bigdamnhero

bigdamnhero

Don't try this at home!

• 6,209 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

...and sometimes it makes me love Hero even more, depending on the topic & my mood. :snicker:

• Nolgroth likes this
"If I ever decide to kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

#124 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

• 9,597 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

...and sometimes it makes me love Hero even more, depending on the topic & my mood. :snicker:

I've become very crotchety and impatient as I draw near to my senior years. All I need now is a rifle and a gravely voice so I can tell people to "Get off my lawn." :D

#125 John Desmarais

John Desmarais

Neptune City Comptroller

• 2,617 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:14 PM

I found Space 1889 to be highly opaque.  Not character design which was fine but the action resolution system.  Enough that when we tried to use it I defaulted to "roll low and you succeed".  Or maybe it was "roll high".  I forget.  I never tried an actual game of Heroes Unlimited but I recall being put off by character generation when I played around with it.  I've never seen a worse random generation system for supers games.  I do not love dice pool systems but I can work with them.  

One of the coolest settings ever - almost unplayable system.  (I've recently gotten the Ubiquity version of the game and am looking forward to giving it a shot).

John Desmarais
The Stuff Heroes Are Made Of - www.herostuff.net
=====================================
Man is the only animal that blushes - or needs to.
-- Mark Twain

#126 John Desmarais

John Desmarais

Neptune City Comptroller

• 2,617 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:16 PM

I won't go as far as to say I hate it - but I really don't like FATE or any of its variations.  Part of me is intrigued by the philosophy, but when I actually sit down to play it I just go "Meh".

• bigdamnhero likes this
John Desmarais
The Stuff Heroes Are Made Of - www.herostuff.net
=====================================
Man is the only animal that blushes - or needs to.
-- Mark Twain

#127 bigdamnhero

bigdamnhero

Don't try this at home!

• 6,209 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:37 PM

I won't go as far as to say I hate it - but I really don't like FATE or any of its variations.  Part of me is intrigued by the philosophy, but when I actually sit down to play it I just go "Meh".

Yeah, I want to like it but...

Incidentally, Space 1889 is another setting they've redone for Savage Worlds.

"If I ever decide to kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

#128 mrinku

mrinku

Very High Powered Superhero

• 666 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:50 PM

Space:1889 is very easily convertible for the most part since it's 90% historical colonial-era. The various aliens are trivial to write up in whatever your target rule set uses for playable species variants. The vehicles are close enough to real world things, too, and the one thing the original game DOES provide is a decent aerial combat game.

The sticking point I hit with doing a GURPS version was always how to do Inventions and Inventors, since I wasn't that happy with the GURPS rules for it. The new Ubiquity edition covers it quite well IMHO in using its Resource system to cover that sort of thing. HERO would have covered that aspect just fine.

#129 Doc Democracy

Doc Democracy

Freedom Fighter

• 4,661 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:52 PM

Hit and miss for me. I have had a couple of sessions where it all seemed to work. The fate Point economy flowed and drew the various aspects of the characters and setting in a dynamic interplay that made everything fantastic. In many others it has been an ok game where some things seemed a bit forced.

I think the key is the GM driving the economy, forcing the expenditure and making points available. If it works, the players drive the narrative and that makes everything fun.

"A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a sh**house wall
But before I die I'll add my regal scrawl
To show the world I'm left with sweet f*** all"
- Shane McGowan, Sea Shanty

#130 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

• 9,597 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:26 PM

I think FATE requires more from everybody at the table. Though it is extremely rules light, it is not casual. People playing FATE have to pay attention to everything and have a solid understanding of their own characters and how to use Aspects to their benefit. Narrative drives everything so that guy on his cell phone or grabbing a snack from the kitchen might really miss out on what is happening in the game and that tends to draw the whole experience downward. If you can get the right group or even get your group into the correct mindset for a game or three, FATE can be really fun. If the group, as a whole, is disinterested in the game or doesn't grok how the whole thing fits together, then the game isn't as fun. There also has to be a bit of trust, on the players' parts, that the GM is not out to screw them. Use their aspects against them to further the story? Absolutely. Abusing that position. Absolutely not.

I think another problem that many people, especially me, have with FATE is the concept that equipment is all rolled up into concept under the FATE Core and FATE Accelerated rules. That is, in fact, the one part of FATE that has kept me from pulling the trigger on running a FATE campaign. I'd like to figure out how to balance the Aspects and Approaches from FATE with a different damage system. I have considered altering the dice mechanic to match up with Shadowrun 4th Edition and then import that damage system over. Most of the work is already done in that case. I just have to figure out how things like powers would integrate. Maybe I'll look at a couple of options if I can pull myself away from running around the Commonwealth and sending Super Mutants to an early grave. :)