Sign in to follow this  
Marcus Impudite

WWYCD?: There's Nothing I Can Do, A Total Eclipse Of The...Sun

Scardey Cat Going to a group watching, and making notes about the people and their thoughts on this historic event while watching it.

Mr. X Making sure no  one uses the convergance for evil.

Robobushi would go about his normal business but would likely hook into a few observatory feeds and satellites by wifi.

Big Girl might get confused and try to smash it. She sees further into the UV; I'm not sure if that would make it more or less dark (and eclipses really aren't THAT dark because your eyes adjust).

Stormwalker: Flies along the path of the eclipse, clearing away clouds so everyone has a good view.

Lucius Alexander

Sacrifices a palindromedary on the altar of the Sun

Sunburn: Since his light powers are solar powered, he might get an increse in power during the eclipse (increase UV light to absorb). Since he is 'retiered' and employed by SNN/SNN Sidekick, he would had a busy day getting the superhero side of the eclipse for the network. And...he can watch it with his nakid eyes without burning them.

Old Jeb would fly into the ground at mach 5 hoping that 'dying during a solar eclipse' is a kill condition on his regeneration w/ resurrection.

When he came to he'd get a drink and go back to busting up drug cartels and human traffickers.

Eclipses are prime time for Evil Magical Rituals.

Unfortunately, none of my characters are much use at dealing with them, beyond the "punch the cultists, rescue the sacrifice" level.

Sunburn: Since his light powers are solar powered, he might get an increse in power during the eclipse (increase UV light to absorb).

Nope. There's a big drop in UV and every other wavelength emitted by the sun. Any solar powered hero is basically operating under night time conditions for a short while. Where you *might* see a difference with UV would be that a character who relied on that might be a little less in the dark than one with normal sight because of UV coming from non-solar sources such as stars that the moon isn't blocking, same as at night (which is what I was thinking in relation to Big Girl). But those are constant. The sun being in the sky doesn't prevent starlight from arriving at the earth's surface - it just outshines them so much that your eyes adjust for the light levels and can't see them.

However, eclipses simply aren't as dark as a regular night anyway because most of the daytime hemisphere is still lit up (save that small circle of shadow that's around 100km in diameter) and you get a lot of light scattering in from the side, for a twilight effect.

As I'm sure many of our North American correspondents experienced yesterday.