An original power?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tech priest support

Tech priest support

High Powered Superhero

• 521 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:17 AM

Have any of you ever created an original power in a game system? Something it really the same as anything you've seen done ad a power?

I created a power called "karma obscura" for a supers game called eschaton. The source of powers in it was a race of transcendent entities who were giving some humans powers to see what they would do with it in order to see if the human race had to be destroyed or allowed to continue.

I created a character called "Whornado" who had been a poor, illiterate crack whore of indeterminate race that had been an absolute non person as far as "the system" was concerned. She was invisible to the system when she was being abused as a child, raped by various people including police, ran in to help cops meet quotas, etc. She was invisible to the system when it chose to ignore her.

Later she got empowered by the eschaton and was able to transform into a super powered woman who went by "whornado", essentially become a sort of avenger against 'the system" that had wronged her.

Her super and non super form were completely different, I mean like billy baton and captain marvel different. Her normal form was mostly non powered but had an ability called "karma obscura" that was always on and essentially made her almost impossible for anyone working for "the system" to see.

Basically anyone working for "the system", in any way, directly or indirectly, knowingly or not, has to subtract whornado's power level from their perception when looking for her. A fail means you simply do not see her. You can't see Ber, she is effectively invisible to you.

It's called karma obscura because in a way it's karma.The system treated her like she was invisible when it suited them, so now that they may want to see her, guess what? Karma.

This would apply to a super employed by the system even if it was thru an intermediary and the super didn't know it. It would not apply to a super or bounty hunter hired by a criminal group or anyone else not in or working for the system, even indirectly.

Being honest I think it's fairly original and unique, and of my creation. Anyo e else create unique and original powers?
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be very uncomfortable if you're one of the facts that needs altering." The Doctor.

#2 DasBroot

DasBroot

Bat-Noogier

• 1,148 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:26 AM

That sounds a lot like Obfuscation from the Vampire: The Masquerade RPG.  It doesn't make the vampire invisible, per se, it stops people from noticing that the vampire is anything unusual or out of place.

"We have an intruder! I'm checking the office!"

*Let's see - table, chair, houseplant, bookshelf, vampire*

"Office is clear. Moving on."

The higher the level of Obfuscate the more they could get away with without drawing attention.  Level 1, for example, only worked if you were still and even so much as partially hidden - like a child hiding behind drapes, only it works.  Level 5 let them dance an irish jig on top of a casket at a funeral without anyone thinking anything was out of place.

"I threw a rock at him!"

*silence*

".... it was a *big* rock."

#3 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

Medium unnatural humanoid

• 9,609 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

Come to think of it, no. I made up spells for D&D but they were mostly variations on an existing theme (Fire and Ice for Magic Missile replacers etc.) I tried to re-tool the Spirit Powers for Horror Hero at one point before coming to the conclusion that existing Hero powers could fit just as well. So no, not really.

#4 Lucius

Lucius

Too Many To List Now!

• 15,258 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:32 PM

I hate to break this to you, but this is a variation on the "unnoticability" Power that we see a new thread pop up about every six months or so.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has deja vu at both ends.

#5 Tech priest support

Tech priest support

High Powered Superhero

• 521 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:01 PM

I hate to break this to you, but this is a variation on the "unnoticability" Power that we see a new thread pop up about every six months or so.Lucius AlexanderThe palindromedary has deja vu at both ends.

Actually there is a slight difference most powers like this donct have. In most cases the "you can't see me!" Thing is something that the user imposes on others thru some force, a power.

In this case the effect is essentially something the people trying to see her created themselves by choosing to not see her, by choosing to be utterly unmindful of her. In effect, the system made her invisible to it. Basically this power is almost like granting the system's wish.

So it's a karmic effect in a way. Also it's not a blanket "anyone I don't want to see me" or "anyone I choose not to see me", it's limited to law, government, business, but not, say, a criminal who wants to kill her.

So yes it's similar but still a new and unique variant on it AFAIHK.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be very uncomfortable if you're one of the facts that needs altering." The Doctor.

#6 mrinku

mrinku

Cosmically Powerful Superhero

• 724 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:28 AM

It's effectively a limited version of Douglas Adams' SEP (Somebody Else's Problem) Field from Life, The Universe and Everything (1982).

Don't know that I've ever actually made up a power, but back in the Villains & Vigilantes days I certainly adapted ones that had been rolled up to better fit together. But that was sort of baked into the V&V expectations.

On the other hand, we're building powers in HERO all the time from the toolbox. In that sense, yes. One would be my old villain Irish Man who I wanted to befuddle and distract nearby characters with his constant inane babbling. Built that as a kind of Mental Entangle (3e version). Or Electrode, who could use conductive objects to rapidly move around in his electric body form. Built that using Teleport, IIRC, though I can think of at least three other ways of building the effect.

#7 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,545 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:24 PM

My character "Valence" had the power to alter the conductivity of metals.  What that meant was, he could turn a given chunk of metal into either a room temperature superconductor or an insulator.  

Back when I was running Superworld I had a villain/monster who had the power to absorb electricity into physical strength...and Reverse Electrical Projection, a power that forced other people to hit it with electricity so that the people would have to pay the fatigue for the energy blast while Lifeleech got stronger from it...an idea that arose entirely out of my wondering what the heck the "Reverse" advantage would do when applied to every single power.  I think it was invalidated as anything other than an exercise in silliness when they added an actual vampirism power in the expanded powers book but it felt quite clever at the time.  

Elfshot has the power to shoot people with magic arrows that only inflict lethal internal injuries, leaving the skin unmarked.  It was surprisingly hard to decide how to represent that effect at least in the game system I was using.  

Miss Murder has the power to turn into her body weight in telepathically linked crows.  

Integrator has a power to meld with other machines that was kind of a complicated build.  And like all complicated builds, expensive.  He could absorb small ones and possess big ones. The first part was a modular ability with the slightly unusual limit of "only things he ate" and a list of powers based on small tools, weapons and devices he'd already eaten, and then the second part was a real pain 

• Christopher likes this
Is, "I'm just that awesome" really an origin?

#8 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,545 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:06 PM

Now that I think about it, there were a few more.  

October Mourning could summon and manifest phantasms of all the people her target had slain.  

Similarly Talion could inflict on a foe any injury they had inflicted on another.  

Scarborough Faire could grow, shrink and distort spatial proportions

and The Arbiter could create supernaturally binding contracts which would curse you with whatever was written into the penalty clause of the contract if you violated it.  

Is, "I'm just that awesome" really an origin?