Sign in to follow this  
Tech priest support

The genre mash! (Sung to the tune of the monster mash.)

OK, now this is a semi serious thread so try to come up with a genre mash that could make a playable RPG setting.

Transhuman traveller. OK, it's Traveller, but with full blown transhumanism. The main imperium may restrict transhumanism, generic alternation, cybernetics, etc. But many who believe in these left the big I and formed their own enclaves where the sky's the limit. Several notable transhumanist enclaves and empires exist. Cybernetic augmented humans based on "the conjoiners" from " Revelation space". Genetically enhanced "perfect humans" of various types. Those who practice both genetic and cybernetic augmentation.

Some worlds restrict "transhuman" visitors to certain areas. Others don't allow transhuman immigration. Some worlds consider "baselines" undesirable. The imperium goes on largely as it does in traveller.

Are we looking for unusual ones? Because there are quite a few that are relatively common, like Space Westerns (Firefly definitely falls into that category) and Fantasy Noir (i.e. Dresden Files)

Another you could bolt onto Traveller or other straight Science Fiction settings would be Burroghsian Planetary Romance. All you need is an isolated planet with:

1) Humanoids to fall in love with (Traveller has this covered with both Ancient seeded Humaniti and lost colonists)

2) Weird aliens to fight

3) Disjointed tech and/or social codes that push things into swordfighting over gunplay. On Barsoom, everyone could just draw radium pistols and blow each others' heads off... but they almost never do, purely for Duelling Code reasons. But simply not having firearms works, even if they have antigrav (there really is NO reason those techs should be dependant on each other)

4) Players are stranded offworlders. JC gets to Barsoom via astral projection, but it really wouldn't have affected anything if it had been a crashed starship

I was playing at the game store, late one night

When my eyes beheld an eerie sight

For the dungeon master met all our eyes

And suddenly to my surprise

He did the mash, he did the genre mash

The genre mash, it was a gaming smash

He did the mash, it caught on in a flash

He did the mash, he did the genre mash

We used martial arts from the far flung east

From Lovecraft came an eldritch beast

gunslingers, swordswingers, spellsingers, all

Got together and had a ball

They did the mash, they did the genre mash

They did the mash, it caught on in a flash

They did the mash, they did the genre mash

The zombies were having fun

The party had just begun

The guests included Batman,

Fu Manchu, and his son

The scene was rockin', all were digging the game,

Our campaigns will never be the same

We want police procedurals in ancient Rome

And Indiana Jones re-imagined as a Gnome

They played the mash, they played the genre mash

They played the mash, it caught on in a flash

They played the mash, they played the genre mash

There was one old grognard who voiced complaint

Seems he was a genre purist who didn't like to taint

His old school dungeon crawling hack and slash time.

'Til we asked about gelatinous cubes, monks, and green slime.

It's now the mash, it's now the genre mash

The genre mash, it was gaming smash

It's now the mash, it caught on in a flash

It's now the mash, it's now the genre mash

Now everything's cool, the grognard's a part of the band

And our genre Mash is the hit of the land

For you, all gamers, this mash was meant too

When you get to my door, tell them Lucius sent you

Then you can mash, then you can genre mash

The genre mash, and do my gaming smash

Then you can mash, you'll catch on in a flash

Then you can mash, then you can genre mash

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary does the mash

Come to think of it, my favorite games are always genre mash-ups (Shadowrun, Deadlands, Firefly, Mass Effect). My son wants an rpg or (more likely) a video game that combines epic fantasy and zombie apocalypse. 

Army of Darkness might roughly be what he's after. But most epic fantasy settings *do* have zombies, so you can certainly have a Dark Lord who commands them and the heroes fighting that. Warhammer might be worth looking at - Necromantic Undead overrunning a town with the players holed up in a building and no hope of help arriving is the basic ZA plot.

Lois McMaster Bujold's Sharing Knife books are pretty close to the scenario, too, though more along the lines of "Guardians that keep the Evil at bay at great cost and who cannot let even one of them through to spread the infection". Naomi Novik largely pinched the idea for Uprooted. Both authors are highly recommended.

Speaking of which, Naomi Novik is responsible for one of the most awesome genre mash-ups of all time, the Temeraire books - Napoleonic military fiction plus Dragonriders!  Starts really strongly and tails off towards the end (6 books would have been enough instead of the nine IMHO), but very enjoyable.

RIFTS has done all of this... by virtue of sheer volume.

(Some mashes way, way more successfully than others.)

I still use some of the ideas from Rifts and the other Palladium IP grabs but I've come to dislike the system.

Come to think of it, my favorite games are always genre mash-ups (Shadowrun, Deadlands, Firefly, Mass Effect). My son wants an rpg or (more likely) a video game that combines epic fantasy and zombie apocalypse. 

All Flesh Must Be Eaten has already done that of course.  Although I'd do it with GURPS because I have their Mass Combat supplement.  

I was playing at the game store, late one nightWhen my eyes beheld an eerie sightFor the dungeon master met all our eyesAnd suddenly to my surpriseHe did the mash, he did the genre mashThe genre mash, it was a gaming smashHe did the mash, it caught on in a flashHe did the mash, he did the genre mashWe used martial arts from the far flung eastFrom Lovecraft came an eldritch beastgunslingers, swordswingers, spellsingers, allGot together and had a ballThey did the mash, they did the genre mashThe genre mash, it was a gaming smashThey did the mash, it caught on in a flashThey did the mash, they did the genre mashThe zombies were having funThe party had just begunThe guests included Batman,Fu Manchu, and his sonThe scene was rockin', all were digging the game,Our campaigns will never be the sameWe want police procedurals in ancient RomeAnd Indiana Jones re-imagined as a GnomeThey played the mash, they played the genre mashThe genre mash, it was a gaming smashThey played the mash, it caught on in a flashThey played the mash, they played the genre mashThere was one old grognard who voiced complaintSeems he was a genre purist who didn't like to taintHis old school dungeon crawling hack and slash time.'Til we asked about gelatinous cubes, monks, and green slime.It's now the mash, it's now the genre mashThe genre mash, it was gaming smashIt's now the mash, it caught on in a flashIt's now the mash, it's now the genre mashNow everything's cool, the grognard's a part of the bandAnd our genre Mash is the hit of the landFor you, all gamers, this mash was meant tooWhen you get to my door, tell them Lucius sent youThen you can mash, then you can genre mashThe genre mash, and do my gaming smashThen you can mash, you'll catch on in a flashThen you can mash, then you can genre mashLucius AlexanderThe palindromedary does the mash

Oh god. I can't believe my little joke lead to this. It's beautiful! Really, I've snared this with credit on several fb pages.

I did a superheroes in space game where the PCs were humans abducted from Earth and given superpowers to defend an interstellar empire.  The first thing I did was run them through a magazine module that was for Warhammer 40,000.  

I helped a friend create a genre mash that was a wfb/D&D crossover because he wanted to make his DND world darker and edgier.

Basically a warpstone asteroid crashes into part of the world and creates a portal to chaos that spreads for many miles as the dust cloud settles. The areas around it begin falling to chaos influence. 5 distinct regions form, dedicated to chaos undivided and each chaos god.

It starts to spread, with war bands, plagues, mutants, etc posing ever greater threats to the world. Chaos power is usually greater in raw terms than most of the world's original magic. Khorne berserkers are awesome close combat masters, Nurgle's plagues are hard for normal magic cures to fix, Tzeentch's sorcerers are very powerful and Slaanesh....can't talk about that here.

Chaos undivided is a jack of all trades.

Things got darker, edgier in his world according to him. More graphic, more violent, more... Slaanesh. He said his people liked it.

The Warhammer Fantasy RPG is actually pretty good in itself.

And 40K itself basically started as a mashup. Blood Bowl still is :)