Pariah

September 2017 Superdraft: Let’s Kick Some Axis!

Remember that Justice League episode “The Savage Time”? You know, the one where Vandal Savage used a time machine to change history, take over Germany, and alter the course of World War Two in favor of the Axis Powers, and the Justice League had to go back in time and set things right? Well, now it’s happening again, and this time it’s up to you to select a group of heroes to save the world!

cap-punches-redskull-comic.jpg

The Premise: Several supervillains have found a way back in time to the days of the Second World War. As a result, the heroes of the present have awakened to a world where the Axis powers were triumphant and are now running the world, to its obvious detriment. The heroes know that something is wrong, but not how to fix it.

Meanwhile, a small group of Golden Age heroes have figured out why the war turned suddenly in the bad guys’ favor and are determined to undo the damage. Working with a brilliant Allied scientist known only as Professor Freedom, and his lovely and capable lab assistant Sallie Strongheart, they believe they have found a way. Using the Professor’s Quantum Temporal Resonator, they hope to open a passage to the future to recruit heroes to come and join them. Once the damage to the past is fixed and the war is won, the Professor believes the timeline should reset itself, and all will be as it was before.

So the Resonator has been activated, and heroes have been called to come back to win the War for the Allies!

The Picks: Each player can make twelve (12) picks during the draft. Picks will be made no earlier than noon EDT Starting on Friday, September 1st. We will make picks every day, including weekends, until September 12th, or whenever everyone has made all the necessary picks. A poll will be posted on or around Monday, September 25th. The Location will be the first pick; all other picks may be made in any order. Here’s what you’ll be drafting:

Location: This World War II location is where your heroes’ piece of the action will take place.  The Location can be as broad as “The Pacific Theater” or as specific as “Berlin, April 30th, 1945”.  In any case, this location is in the past. Locations are not exclusive. Locations will be chosen with the player’s first pick, as is traditional.

Villain: The villain may be from either era: the War era (1939-1945) or the future (“future” compared to World War II, that is). Maybe the villain is someone from the 21st century going back to change the past for their own purposes, or maybe they’re a War era mastermind who sees the influx of new villains as a chance to remake the world to their own liking. Whatever. Either way, the villain is working for (or at least parallel to) the Axis. Villain picks are exclusive.

Contemporary Heroes: Each player will choose six heroes to go back in time to help restore the timeline and make sure the good guys win. These must be professionally-published fictional characters. Hero picks (including the Golden Age Hero, see below) are exclusive.

Golden Age Hero: This is a hero from the War era who will work with the Contemporary Heroes. Again, this must be a professionally-published fictional character. In addition, this must be a character who participated in the fighting during World War II--in other words, a character who was alive and active in-universe during the War, whether shown on-screen or not. For example, Captain America was obviously fighting Nazis during World War II (see above), but so was Indiana Jones (as revealed after the fact in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull).

Options: Each player may make up to three Option picks to fill in their story. These may be other heroes or villains, supporting cast, secondary locations, MacGuffins, or pretty much anything else. Option picks other than Locations are exclusive.

General Rules for Draft Picks

Draft the Man, Not the Mask: This is the same rule we’ve pretty much always used. For example, once Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) has been drafted, Binary (Carol Danvers) and Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers) are off the table. Captain Marvel (Billy Batson), Captain Marvel (Monica Rambeau), and Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) would still be available.

No Living People May Be Drafted: All Heroes and Villains must be professionally-published fictional characters. Real people who were important in the War (Winston Churchill, Erwin Rommel, J. Robert Oppenheimer, etc) may be selected with Option picks. Under no circumstances can people currently living in the real world be drafted

The Least That You Can Do: To be included in the poll, a player must draft at least a Location, a Villain, a Golden Age Hero, and three Contemporary heroes.

Fiction Is Fun, But Optional: If you want to write some fiction to go with your draft, we’d all love to read it. But it’s not mandatory. 

Questions? Let me know. Otherwise, we’ll start it up next Friday.

Now, who’s up for Kicking Some Axis?

If this had been against the X and Y axis, then I would have been with you.

Go to polar coordinates: r and theta! Then you can go round and round changing only one variable!

I like this idea. A good, old-fashioned superhero draft. I'm probably in. 

But I'm a bit leery about the location being non-exclusive. At least in the case of small very specific locations. Are you sure about that, Pariah?

Not entirely, I'll confess. My thinking was that if one person did in fact select the Pacific Theater, it shouldn't stop somebody else from bringing their team to Guadalcanal if they wanted to.

On the other hand, one group of heroes in Berlin on April 30th, 1945 is probably sufficient.

So that provision probably needs to be tweaked. I just haven't figured out quite how to do it yet.

Might I suggest allowing general locations and times (The Pacific Theater 1942) to be non exclusive, while the far more specific locations and times (Berlin, 30 April, 1945) would be exclusive. The trigger toggling between the two would be both a city or smaller and a timeframe of 72 hours or less.

I agree with this. Pacific Theatre 1942 can cover Alaska down to Cape Horn on the American side, China, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia as well. Vast territory.

On the other hand, Holland, Belgium or Luxembourg would or should be exclusive to a certain time period. France is so big that it could cope with a few storylines.

Still, I can think of wedge cases. Is there a way to separate, e.g., Malmedy from Bastogne in the Battle of the Bulge? Or with equal difficulty, Omaha Beach from Juno Beach on June 6 1944?

Contemporary Heroes: Each player will choose six heroes to go back in time to help restore the timeline and make sure the good guys win. These must be professionally-published fictional characters. Hero picks (including the Golden Age Hero, see below) are exclusive.

How do you define "contemporary?" If I want a hero from the 60's for example, will that work?

Lots of supers that fought in WWII are still around. If I want Superman as a contemporary hero, does that take Superman in the war off the table for me? For everyone else? Could I grab 2017 Superman and have him interact with 1942 Superman? If not, could I do it by drafting him twice?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary makes trouble at the hardware store by kicking some axes

How do you define "contemporary?" If I want a hero from the 60's for example, will that work?

'Contemporary', for the purposes of this draft, means after 'World War II'. It could be the 60s, or it could be the 31st Century (or beyond), or anywhere in between.

Lots of supers that fought in WWII are still around. If I want Superman as a contemporary hero, does that take Superman in the war off the table for me? For everyone else? Could I grab 2017 Superman and have him interact with 1942 Superman? If not, could I do it by drafting him twice?

Superman may be drafted as a Contemporary character. Doing so will mean that nobody can draft Superman as a Golden Age character--not even the same player.

The palindromedary makes trouble at the hardware store by kicking some axes

OUCH!!

Superman may be drafted as a Contemporary character. Doing so will mean that nobody can draft Superman as a Golden Age character--not even the same player.

Does that mean that drafting Contemporary Superman INCLUDES War Era Superman ("Okay, you know all about the farm grew up on so I will believe you're really me from the future.") Or does it mean that Contemporary Superman has to studiously avoid crossing the path of his past self to prevent paradox?

Lucius Alexander

Not content with kicking axes, the palindromedary kicks the hammers and screwdrivers too

If someone drafts Superman as a contemporary hero, it's assumed that he is still present during World War II. He's just fighting Nazis off-screen someplace.

Okay, a couple of things.

First: As to whether players can draft characters from before World War II: I'm going to say no. Since the threat comes from the 'future', that's where the heroes will come from, too. Besides, letting characters from the past know about the existence of World War II would screw the timeline up more, not fix it.

(As a side note: It would be a blast to do a full-blown cross-time Superdraft one day, but that's not the intent here. If there's interest, I could run something like that in the future. Or someone else could.)

Second: I'm going to say that broad locations (Germany, the Pacific Theater, the Russian Front, etc.) are non-exclusive, but specific locations (e.g., one place at one time, like Utah Beach on D-Day) are exclusive. Yes, there's some grey area in between; PM me if you want clarification on a specific location.

However: If two (or more) players publicly and mutually announce that they want to collaborate on a specific location, I'll allow it. You might need more than one team of heroes to take Utah Beach on D-Day.

Okay, what else?

I have a question. Does it have to be the Axis who win the war or can I have a story where Stalin betrays his western allies and keeps marching west until all of Europe is under his heel?