Cloaking Device

cbullard

Sure, but really the same applies to Invisibility. Someone using wings or willpower to fly with does not need to buy IPE (sight) on their flight while invisible to sight. The wings would still be audible, but that's just going to be using the rules for using a non-targeting sense.

The continuous teleport stardrive thing I'm pretty sure was invented by Bob Shaw in Who Goes Here? (1977). Basically the way that worked was the ship had a teleport transmitter at one end and a teleport receiver at the other and continually transmitted itself to itself. A superb (and very cynical) book.

GDW used the concept as the basis of their Stutterwarp Drive for 2300AD.

I see no reason for something like that to need IPE while under cloak.  

Ah, okay.  I hadn't read those, "Battlefield Earth" was the first time I ran into them.  Have you read the others?  Are they worth digging up a copy?  (Not just for that aspect, obvviously - for the story)

Thanks!

If you mean the rest of Battlefield Earth? No. Don't touch that pile of garbage with a barge pole IMHO. I think I managed to struggle through to the third book, but I was young and stupid. Almost as ghastly as the Gor books. Just say no.

If you're looking for ironic and/or humorous SF stick with Douglas Adams, Harry Harrison and for darker stuff Kurt Vonnegut from the classic authors. Heinlein has a few lighter novels, as do Poul Anderson and Asimov. Bob Shaw has been mentioned, though only a few books are in this vein. John Scalzi has done some very good humour work.

Harrison is probably the best of them for a good yarn with tongue in cheek.