Photo
- - - - -

Rpg Settings you like, regardless of system .

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Tech priest support

Tech priest support

High Powered Superhero

• 503 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:13 PM

Name some RPG settings you like without regard to the systems involved.

Space master 1e. Yeah the setting was a mishmash of dune, star wars, foundation, etc. But I liked the setting and the high quality of the ICE products in general.

Living steel. Great setting, great aliens, nicely done. Needs a playable gear oriented system.

Traveller. Duh.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be very uncomfortable if you're one of the facts that needs altering." The Doctor.

#2 Tjack

Tjack

Powerful Hero

• 248 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:36 PM

Shadowrun.
  • DasBroot likes this
'cause Justice is the one thing you should always find.

#3 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

Medium unnatural humanoid

• 9,607 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:06 PM

Lessee....

Fantasy: Kamarathin [Hero], Shadowrun [proprietary], Freeport [multiple], Ravenloft [D&D], Weird West [Deadlands], Dark Sun [D&D], 7th Sea [proprietary]

Modern: Hudson City [Hero], Cold War Espionage [generally - varies]

Science Fiction: Star Frontiers [proprietary], Alien Wars [Hero], Terran Empire [Hero]

Pulp/Other: Cthulhu Mythos [varies]

I reserve the right to add to those, as I don't always remember all the settings I like. Also, with any setting, I tweak it to my heart's content. So while I might say Shadowrun, my Shadowrun would be a very different world than the published one.

EDIT: After seeing some reminders below, added some stuff.

#4 mrinku

mrinku

Very High Powered Superhero

• 691 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:10 AM

King Arthur Pendragon. As close to a perfect match of setting and mechanics as I've yet seen 

Space:1889. Superb setting, let down a little by clunky mechanics.

Golden Age Champions. The editions keep getting better :)

Warhammer Fantasy RPG version of the Warhammer world. Still kicks arse, easy to get your head around without really being Europe.

2300AD. My vote for the best attempt (largely successful) at a hard SF game. Great aliens.

Paranoia. Only playable with people who already get the joke, but a blast to read the material.

(I'd love to add Traveller, but this is describing the setting, and the Third Imperium is not that inspiring, really.)

#5 Doc Democracy

Doc Democracy

Freedom Fighter

• 4,663 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:52 AM

My favourite settings are Golden Age superheroes (probably the Roy Thomas version of it evinced through All-Star Squadron) and Glorantha.

The former as I love the comic stories and want to recreate that in my gaming and the former for its depth and community. There is so much about the setting to love and it was so obviously created to game in.

"A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a sh**house wall
But before I die I'll add my regal scrawl
To show the world I'm left with sweet f*** all"
- Shane McGowan, Sea Shanty

#6 Jagged

Jagged

Maptool Evangelist

• 293 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:11 AM

I always wanted to try Albedo Anthropomorphics. Something about the universe really gelled. I think the creator worked as an illustrator for the American military and that came through in the extremely believable vehicles, spaceships and military protocols.

#7 Old Man

Old Man

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery.

• 42,031 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:04 AM

7th Sea, Dark Sun, Deadlands, Castle Falkenstein, Dark Sun, Planescape, Jovian Chronicles, and Dark Sun.

And Shadowrun.

• tkdguy, Burrito Boy and DasBroot like this
...and that's when the destruction began.

#8 mrinku

mrinku

• 691 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:31 AM

I always wanted to try Albedo Anthropomorphics. Something about the universe really gelled. I think the creator worked as an illustrator for the American military and that came through in the extremely believable vehicles, spaceships and military protocols.

Steve Gallacci. The RPG was slightly misnamed, since Albedo was really the magazine and the RPG was based on Steve's strip, Erma Felna: EDF. I've got most issues of Albedo and the RPG. Damn good hard science military SF with a heavy dose of politics... got a lot in common with some of Shirow's stuff - Appleseed has a very similar tone.

Yeah, setting wise it's pretty damn good.

• Jagged likes this

#9 Greywind

Greywind

Triple Millennial Master

• 10,356 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

The Babylon Project

With your shield or on it.

"The laws of celestial mechanics dictate that when two objects collide, there is always damage of a collateral nature." ~ Prof. Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

"It's like switching from an action thriller RIGHT when it all goes to hell and you don't know if they live and someone walks in and changes the channel to Gilmore Girls." ~ my Muse about my writing. :)

Greywind's Characters

Snippets

Business Unfinished

Reaffirmation Day

#10 Hermit

Hermit

Resplendent Recluse

• 40,674 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

Mystara was one of my favorites for Fantasy. Those Gazeteers were a mixed up collection of fun.

• Lord Liaden and Burrito Boy like this

“I've looked at the world for quite a few years now and I've found that if I don't laugh, I'll probably end up crying."
- Prince Kheldar of Drasnia aka Silk

Meet the People of Campaign City

The Adventures of "Fish Guy"

#11 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,544 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:16 PM

The setting of the GURPS Space Atlases.  It's like Traveller, but better.  

Space 1889:  It's the only kind of of Solar System campaign I like.  Retro.  

Glorantha:  Best job of integrating magic into world building ever.  

Spelljammer.  Wonderful mishmash of D&D with Star Trek and Star Wars.  You can fit anything in.  

Wooden Suits and Iron Men:  Mecha oriented steampunk that emphasizes the punk part by making things distinctly dark.  

Orrorsh, Nippontech and Terra from Torg

Days of Future Past:  Still the best set of modules for any superhero RPG ever.  

Is, "I'm just that awesome" really an origin?

#12 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

Decuple Millennial Master

• 12,516 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

Rifts, at least the initial stuff. This one much more so "regardless of system" than the others.

Space: 1889

Ars Magica (1st Edition)

Mystara

The Western Shores (FH 4th Edition sample setting)

• Old Man likes this

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This Week in MMOs

#13 wcw43921

wcw43921

Occasionally Makes Sense

• 3,145 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:55 PM

Fourth Edition Champions Universe

Firm, united let us be,
Rallying round our liberty,
As a band of brothers joined,
Peace and safety we shall find.

"As The Crusader I pledge my services to my country and the cause of democracy.  I will champion the rights of the weak and the oppressed! I will fight crime and evil with relentless fury!"--The American Crusader, Thrilling Comic #19, August 1941

#14 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,544 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:36 PM

Fourth Edition Champions Universe

I don't really think of the Champions Universe as a setting.  I mean it's really just the modern world with the addition of a few fictional places and organizations.  You could put every single thing from the Champions "Universe" into the same game as all the stuff from V&V, Mighty Protectors, and Superworld and there wouldn't be any clashes.  

Is, "I'm just that awesome" really an origin?

#15 mrinku

mrinku

• 691 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

Twilight 2000 had a lot going for it. It was never quite my cup of tea, but I appreciated the hard work that had gone into making it.

Many GURPS ones are great too. Autoduel and Ice Age are favourites, but they have most of the best straight historical setting/genre books. GURPS: Swashbucklers is almost an essential resource for any Pirates or Musketeer setting (or anything else in the 17th C), historical, fantasy or other. And I've never regretted getting GURPS: Steampunk as an aide for Space:1889.

#16 mrinku

mrinku

• 691 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:46 PM

I don't really think of the Champions Universe as a setting.  I mean it's really just the modern world with the addition of a few fictional places and organizations.  You could put every single thing from the Champions "Universe" into the same game as all the stuff from V&V, Mighty Protectors, and Superworld and there wouldn't be any clashes.  

You can throw in the official DC and Marvel material as well. ("Gosh, I never expected Superman to turn up in Millennium City! He usually stays in Metropolis. Which I've always meant to visit but somehow never got around to...")

However, I will give the current CU credit for a coherent timeline, which is always of use when time travel is a possibility. Marvel and DC also have these, but as there are major differences the further forward and back you go, it gets harder to integrate if you're in the past or future, and you'd end up laying the settings in parallel.

#17 sinanju

sinanju

I like tacos

• 3,510 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:35 PM

#1 the Feng Shui setting. What's not to like? Kung fu, gun fu, sorcery, cyborgs, time travel, etc. Plus the idea of ninjas breaking into your property to secretly rearrange furniture to choke off your feng shui....

#2 Mage: The Ascension. Hate the WoD system, and most of the WoD generally. But I love the setting for Mage with a white hot passion.

Yrth from GURPS. As pre-created fantasy worlds go, I like it a lot.

The Eclipse Phase setting. It's just insanely cool.

• Tech priest support likes this
God is my co-pilot, but Satan is my door gunner!

Brock Samson: I'm gonna go outside and get some of that action.
Doctor Venture: Do you want to change first?
Brock Samson: Nah, I like wearing a tux when I'm killin' guys. It makes me feel like James Bond.

#18 Lucius

Lucius

Too Many To List Now!

• 15,252 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

Glorantha:  Best job of integrating magic into world building ever.

I love Glorantha too. Happy to see so many fans here.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has the Form Rune of Beast

#19 TheQuestionMan

TheQuestionMan

Septuple Millennial Master

• 7,858 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:02 AM

Battletech/Mechwarrior -  

Castle Falkenstein/Deadlands - 

Rifts/Chaos Earth - 

Shadowrun - 

GURPS Yrth/Banestorm

• Setting Expansion: Offers more detail on an existing Campaign Setting, such as detailing a single city or country within a larger fictional world. (Completely missing from Yrth/Banestorm)
  • Creature Book: Describes general monsters, animals, or similar classes of characters. For example, it might include "demons" or "vampires," but not a specific demon or vampire. (GURPS Fantasy Folk, Fantasy Beastiary, etc...)
  • Enemies Book: Details specific adversaries for use in adventures (villains & villain teams, individually named monsters and antagonists, etc.). (Sadly missing from many GURPS Yrth/Banestorm) 
  • Characters Book: Contains specific characters (like an Enemies Book), but not necessarily adversaries (allies, supporting characters, etc.).  (Sadly missing from many GURPS Yrth/Banestorm) 
  • Organization Book: Details the structure and workings of one or more organizations (companies, agencies, criminal empires, and so on).  (Sadly missing from many GURPS Yrth/Banestorm) 
  • Adventure Book: Outlines one or more pre-prepared adventure scenarios.
  • Powers Book: Offers pre-defined powers, spells, or the like. (GURPS Magic, Grimoire, Thaumaturgy, etc...)
  • Equipment Book: Details pre-defined gear of one or more kinds.  (Sadly missing from many GURPS Yrth/Banestorm) 

Life is not about having the right Answers. It is about having the right Questions. - QM

#20 C-Note

C-Note

• 63 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:50 AM

The Hyborian Kingdoms from various Conan RPG iterations.  My Fantasy Hero campaign (on and off since 1992) takes place there.  Mongoose Publishing has some great sourcebooks for the Hyborian Age, which I have thoroughly looted for the Hero System.  Pure Sword & Sorcery goodness!

hyboria.jpg

• Burrito Boy likes this