Tech priest support

Rpg Settings you like, regardless of system .

I liked Star Frontiers though I never really got to play it. I thought it was a nice original setting. However having to hit rolls 1/2 of Dex was harsh!

I rather liked Star Frontiers myself.For some reason I was just fascinated by the Vrusk.

Star Frontiers was a really good '70s-pulp-SF setting with just a couple of really glaring holes.  The RPG system sucked, but Knight Hawks was one of the better ship-to-ship combat systems I've played.

I don't really think of the Champions Universe as a setting.  I mean it's really just the modern world with the addition of a few fictional places and organizations.  You could put every single thing from the Champions "Universe" into the same game as all the stuff from V&V, Mighty Protectors, and Superworld and there wouldn't be any clashes.  

That is actually what I consider the perfect playable setting :winkgrin:

The ability to use or not use any part of the official "world" without crippling the game or requiring the GM to spend hours hunting down and tying off endless references when they remove something. 

The perfect playable setting is one I can use 100% as written or easily without undue effort remove from or add to.  Early Champions was awesome in that regard.

The Hyborian Kingdoms from various Conan RPG iterations.  My Fantasy Hero campaign (on and off since 1992) takes place there.  Mongoose Publishing has some great sourcebooks for the Hyborian Age, which I have thoroughly looted for the Hero System.  Pure Sword & Sorcery goodness!

Modiphius has the license now and their game is looking pretty good.  You may have more "loot" available soon :)

I can agree with several of the preceding recommendations, but I have a great soft spot in my heart for Gamma World; especially the semi-coherent setting developed in the series of adventure modules for Third(?) Edition GW -- Alpha Factor, Beta Principle, and Gamma Base. It was weird and bizarre sci-fantasy, with a sly underlying sense of humor, that just tickled me.

I can agree with several of the preceding recommendations, but I have a great soft spot in my heart for Gamma World; especially the semi-coherent setting developed in the series of adventure modules for Third(?) Edition GW -- Alpha Factor, Beta Principle, and Gamma Base. It was weird and bizarre sci-fantasy, with a sly underlying sense of humor, that just tickled me.

I never actually got to play Gamma World. I built a few characters for whatever edition had the cool looking cybernetic big cat on the cover. Never had a group to play with when I had the Gamma World books though.

I liked the 'alternative' worlds of D&D a lot - as has been mentioned: Dark Sun and Spelljammer in particular (I like to pretend that "Treasure Planet" was a movie version of Spelljammer).

Shadowrun. So much Shadowrun. if I could only play one RPG setting for the rest of my life it would be Shadowrun.

Shadowrun.

Rifts - but only piecemeal.  I liked the Coalition, Lazlo, and the Xiticix (showing that the Coalition had a very valid point).  I liked Atlantis as long as it kept to itself.  I liked the New German Republic.

Everything else, though, was pretty much 'meh' in my mind.  I actively disliked the Vampires, England, and Space.

I preferred Metamorphosis Alpha over Gamma World, tho I haven't played either in...wow, more than 30 years?

I also always had a soft spot in my heart for Morrow Project. Awesome idea; completely unplayable.

GDW's Dark Conspiracy setting: low cyberpunk/horror/monster hunter, a bit like Shadowrun but not so over-the-top. The system was horrible, but I converted it all to Hero and ran a 7-year campaign based on it.

Necessary Evil, from Savage Worlds. A fun idea for a supers game, although the book itself wasn't that great and the setting city was utterly forgettable.

Rifts - but only piecemeal.  I liked the Coalition, Lazlo, and the Xiticix (showing that the Coalition had a very valid point).  I liked Atlantis as long as it kept to itself.  I liked the New German Republic.

Everything else, though, was pretty much 'meh' in my mind.  I actively disliked the Vampires, England, and Space.

Rifts was/is pretty uneven, but at its best is probably the ultimate gonzo kitchen-sink setting. I mean, the god Hermes packs a man-portable rail gun he calls, "the Herminator." How can you not love that?

Sadly, the game system and production values could most charitably be described as "antiquated," and the line degenerated into an interminable series of splatbooks. But much of the early setting material was IMO original and creative.

Sadly, the game system and production values could most charitably be described as "antiquated," and the line degenerated into an interminable series of splatbooks. But much of the early setting material was IMO original and creative.

Not RIFTS, but the early version of the Palladium Role Playing Game, their version of D&D style high fantasy was actually pretty good for the time.  We were seriously considering using it vice D&D.  Then Palladium went off the rails....

Not RIFTS, but the early version of the Palladium Role Playing Game, their version of D&D style high fantasy was actually pretty good for the time.  We were seriously considering using it vice D&D.  Then Palladium went off the rails....

I liked that magic always seemed to come at a price. Heck, one of the ways to get new spells was something like a magic cauldron fueled by blood or something. I don't recall the exact name of the ritual. What I didn't like was that Palladins (not misspelled) were simply Knights with higher stat requirements and did more damage. They were an unnecessary class, given that they were interchangeable with any other warrior class when you got right down to it. In fact, it would have been far more clever to have some basic classes that served as a base, with little packages of skills and abilities that could be bought to flesh them out. Sort of like the "kits" from AD&D 2E, but less all encompassing. Honestly, I wouldn't bother running the Palladium system, but stealing a few ideas might not be amiss.