Photo
- - - - -

Rpg Settings you like, regardless of system .

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Clonus

Clonus

Echo of the Past

• 3,545 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

It's not a complete setting of course, but I was making a fantasy setting these days one thing I'd be sure to do is include the set of GURPS magical styles from GURPS Magical Styles:  Dungeon Magic.  They're a fascinating bit of world building.  

Is, "I'm just that awesome" really an origin?

#22 mrinku

mrinku

Cosmically Powerful Superhero

• 724 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

Conan: the hero so great he has his own typeface, by Crom!

The various online Conan products are quite good source material. GURPS  had some solo adventures for him as some of their earliest products.

#23 Cancer

Cancer

Ontology oncology

• 50,022 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:13 AM

Empire of the Petal Throne was a rich and different setting with a clunky old system, back in an era when Monty Haul dungeon crawls were the standard.
  • Lord Liaden likes this
... abnormal, non-Euclidean, and loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours.

#24 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 3,808 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:30 AM

I liked Star Frontiers though I never really got to play it. I thought it was a nice original setting. However having to hit rolls 1/2 of Dex was harsh!
The main object of the game is for the players and the GM to have fun. Champions 3rd ed. Pg 130

#25 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 3,808 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:33 AM

I love me some Battletech! However I could never seem to get a half plausible scenario together for Mechwarrior since their fluff really divided the Houses into separate chunks.
The main object of the game is for the players and the GM to have fun. Champions 3rd ed. Pg 130

#26 Christopher R Taylor

Christopher R Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 6,054 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

Call of Cthulhu's early 20th century horror setting is well done, even if the mechanics are weak.  The Dark Sun AD&D setting was a nice interesting alternative world.

Author of novels Life Unworthy, Old Habits, and Snowberry's veil, available in print and ebook

Also author of Hero Games licensed products:

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary
Two Kings Keep

Elenthar's Tower

The Kestrel Arts webpage: art, books, free downloads, and more                               Kestrel Arts on Twitter                           Kestrel Arts on Facebook

#27 Hermit

Hermit

Resplendent Recluse

• 40,706 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

I liked Star Frontiers though I never really got to play it. I thought it was a nice original setting. However having to hit rolls 1/2 of Dex was harsh!

I rather liked Star Frontiers myself.For some reason I was just fascinated by the Vrusk.

“I've looked at the world for quite a few years now and I've found that if I don't laugh, I'll probably end up crying."
- Prince Kheldar of Drasnia aka Silk

Meet the People of Campaign City

The Adventures of "Fish Guy"

#28 Old Man

Old Man

Youth and skill are no match for old age and treachery.

• 42,046 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:19 AM

Star Frontiers was a really good '70s-pulp-SF setting with just a couple of really glaring holes.  The RPG system sucked, but Knight Hawks was one of the better ship-to-ship combat systems I've played.

...and that's when the destruction began.

#29 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,403 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:28 PM

I don't really think of the Champions Universe as a setting.  I mean it's really just the modern world with the addition of a few fictional places and organizations.  You could put every single thing from the Champions "Universe" into the same game as all the stuff from V&V, Mighty Protectors, and Superworld and there wouldn't be any clashes.  

That is actually what I consider the perfect playable setting :winkgrin:

The ability to use or not use any part of the official "world" without crippling the game or requiring the GM to spend hours hunting down and tying off endless references when they remove something. 

The perfect playable setting is one I can use 100% as written or easily without undue effort remove from or add to.  Early Champions was awesome in that regard.

To Assume, To make an A$$ out of U and Me.

No I didn't deliberately make a moronic statement designed to start a flame war. I'm just BBS Challenged.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne

#30 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,403 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:31 PM

The Hyborian Kingdoms from various Conan RPG iterations.  My Fantasy Hero campaign (on and off since 1992) takes place there.  Mongoose Publishing has some great sourcebooks for the Hyborian Age, which I have thoroughly looted for the Hero System.  Pure Sword & Sorcery goodness!

Modiphius has the license now and their game is looking pretty good.  You may have more "loot" available soon :)

No I didn't deliberately make a moronic statement designed to start a flame war. I'm just BBS Challenged.

#31 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,769 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:29 PM

I can agree with several of the preceding recommendations, but I have a great soft spot in my heart for Gamma World; especially the semi-coherent setting developed in the series of adventure modules for Third(?) Edition GW -- Alpha Factor, Beta Principle, and Gamma Base. It was weird and bizarre sci-fantasy, with a sly underlying sense of humor, that just tickled me.

• Nolgroth, Spence and Lawnmower Boy like this

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

- Maya Angelou

#32 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

Medium unnatural humanoid

• 9,609 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:47 AM

I can agree with several of the preceding recommendations, but I have a great soft spot in my heart for Gamma World; especially the semi-coherent setting developed in the series of adventure modules for Third(?) Edition GW -- Alpha Factor, Beta Principle, and Gamma Base. It was weird and bizarre sci-fantasy, with a sly underlying sense of humor, that just tickled me.

I never actually got to play Gamma World. I built a few characters for whatever edition had the cool looking cybernetic big cat on the cover. Never had a group to play with when I had the Gamma World books though.

• Burrito Boy likes this

#33 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 3,808 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:34 AM

I would have loved to have played Gamma World too!
  • Burrito Boy likes this

#34 DasBroot

DasBroot

Bat-Noogier

• 1,148 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:58 AM

I liked the 'alternative' worlds of D&D a lot - as has been mentioned: Dark Sun and Spelljammer in particular (I like to pretend that "Treasure Planet" was a movie version of Spelljammer).

Shadowrun. So much Shadowrun. if I could only play one RPG setting for the rest of my life it would be Shadowrun.

Shadowrun.

Rifts - but only piecemeal.  I liked the Coalition, Lazlo, and the Xiticix (showing that the Coalition had a very valid point).  I liked Atlantis as long as it kept to itself.  I liked the New German Republic.

Everything else, though, was pretty much 'meh' in my mind.  I actively disliked the Vampires, England, and Space.

• Nolgroth likes this

"I threw a rock at him!"

*silence*

".... it was a *big* rock."

#35 bigdamnhero

bigdamnhero

Don't try this at home!

• 6,224 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

I preferred Metamorphosis Alpha over Gamma World, tho I haven't played either in...wow, more than 30 years?

I also always had a soft spot in my heart for Morrow Project. Awesome idea; completely unplayable.

GDW's Dark Conspiracy setting: low cyberpunk/horror/monster hunter, a bit like Shadowrun but not so over-the-top. The system was horrible, but I converted it all to Hero and ran a 7-year campaign based on it.

Necessary Evil, from Savage Worlds. A fun idea for a supers game, although the book itself wasn't that great and the setting city was utterly forgettable.

"If I ever decide to kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

#36 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,769 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:43 PM

Rifts - but only piecemeal.  I liked the Coalition, Lazlo, and the Xiticix (showing that the Coalition had a very valid point).  I liked Atlantis as long as it kept to itself.  I liked the New German Republic.

Everything else, though, was pretty much 'meh' in my mind.  I actively disliked the Vampires, England, and Space.

Rifts was/is pretty uneven, but at its best is probably the ultimate gonzo kitchen-sink setting. I mean, the god Hermes packs a man-portable rail gun he calls, "the Herminator." How can you not love that?

Sadly, the game system and production values could most charitably be described as "antiquated," and the line degenerated into an interminable series of splatbooks. But much of the early setting material was IMO original and creative.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

- Maya Angelou

#37 bigdamnhero

bigdamnhero

Don't try this at home!

• 6,224 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

FYI they've redone Rifts for Savage Worlds. It's way better balanced. I got to play one game at a con, and it was a blast.
"If I ever decide to kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

#38 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,403 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

Sadly, the game system and production values could most charitably be described as "antiquated," and the line degenerated into an interminable series of splatbooks. But much of the early setting material was IMO original and creative.

Not RIFTS, but the early version of the Palladium Role Playing Game, their version of D&D style high fantasy was actually pretty good for the time.  We were seriously considering using it vice D&D.  Then Palladium went off the rails....

#39 Nolgroth

Nolgroth

Medium unnatural humanoid

• 9,609 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:21 PM

Not RIFTS, but the early version of the Palladium Role Playing Game, their version of D&D style high fantasy was actually pretty good for the time.  We were seriously considering using it vice D&D.  Then Palladium went off the rails....

I liked that magic always seemed to come at a price. Heck, one of the ways to get new spells was something like a magic cauldron fueled by blood or something. I don't recall the exact name of the ritual. What I didn't like was that Palladins (not misspelled) were simply Knights with higher stat requirements and did more damage. They were an unnecessary class, given that they were interchangeable with any other warrior class when you got right down to it. In fact, it would have been far more clever to have some basic classes that served as a base, with little packages of skills and abilities that could be bought to flesh them out. Sort of like the "kits" from AD&D 2E, but less all encompassing. Honestly, I wouldn't bother running the Palladium system, but stealing a few ideas might not be amiss. 

#40 DasBroot

DasBroot

Bat-Noogier

• 1,148 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:51 AM

Honestly, I wouldn't bother running the Palladium system, but stealing a few ideas might not be amiss. 

Well, as the saying goes... turnabout is fair play.

"I threw a rock at him!"

*silence*

".... it was a *big* rock."