Calling up on the past

DJWebb2

OK, so once again I go to the Hive-mind to get opinions and advice for building out an idea that I had last night. I guess I should start by stating the idea, no? Here goes:

Idea: Legacy of the Past

This may have been presented previously, but I have not seen it.

So the character is a recipient of legacy power, the primary of which is much like Kid Eternity from DC comics, but instead of Summoning a spirit from the past he can summon their skills and/or powers they had.

Example: His grandfather was the one who transferred the power to him and he [grandfather] was a hero in WWII known as the Steel Samurai > martial brick w/armored form. So his first "summon" would be to call upon his grandfather's power and memories, but he has an akashic record of his family line back for 1000+ years that he can call upon.

So, do I go the easy route and VPP it or ???

Thanks,

Dave

Sounds a bit like the character I made John Q Public whos abilities depended on who was in the area around him. If he was aroud a group of gymnists he had acrobatics. If he was around a group of scientists he had physics. His strength was based on the number of people. So yes a vvp is in my opinion the was to go. It's the disads that will make the character. You should make a list of skill sets and limit them to only being useable as a group. If he's using Fred's flying ability, then he cannot use any of Ted's superstrength even if he has planty of points for it. If he starts using the superstrength, he forget how to fly the plane.

Sounds like Multiform would be the best bet, with maybe a limited VPP as well. While theoretically your guy could copy any number of people from history, realistically he'll end up using the same half a dozen or so over and over again. Buying Multiform with x8 or x16 forms should be ample. Especially if you leave a handful of the forms undefined, that way you can always add a new form if you have a new idea during the campaign.

Cramming and some overall levels could work as well, if you just needed a language or a single skill for a period of time.

One way to do this is buy him lots of small skills, then buy him skill levels. Lots and lots of skill levels. Then get your GM's perdition to buy a "super skill" VVP to do everything else. An ninja ancestor? Buy Invisibility based on a skill roll. Ancestor a anarchist? Explosive Energy Blast representing throwing fuse bombs. Ancestor Snivly Whiplash. Entangle "rope use" skill.