Tech priest support

Describe a rpg mechanic you love.

And Silent Death, Babylon 5 Wars, Renegade Legion, maybe Car Wars...

I preferred the original damage system in RL: Interceptor to what they came with later in Centurion and Leviathan, and then in the re-release of Interceptor.

Speaking of Car Wars, I did always like the speed/handling mechanics. You could choose to play it safe, or push it and risk flipping out.

That setting so needs to make it onto a PC or console.

Top Secret's combat system was pretty awful but it had some neat ideas despite that.  All guns did the same damage, they just had differing chances to hit.  50 caliber machine gun, derringer: d6.  50 cal hit more often, so it ticked off more boxes.

Yeah, Top Secret was pretty awful. Top Secret S.I. was a whole different game. It distinguished between Bruise (Normal) and Penetrating (Killing) damage with a list of weapons with damage ratings. It was the first game I played where there was no mention of Classes, Professions, etc. It had a pretty robust skill system with a list that could give Hero a run for its money. It was a product of its time and certainly not as polished as some recent games, but now I want to run a game using the S.I. rules as its core.

Special Project time. :)

1. That's what Cramming is for in Hero. Expand it to include some physical demonstration of the skill and voila! In fact, you can make Cramming an Everyman skill and allow more "slots" to be purchased to represent the Jack of All Trades aspect that some characters seem to have. Still, it is an awesome mechanic and fits many of the spy movies where the character has to bone up on his esoteric knowledge before meeting the Big Bad.

Classic example on telly the other night, On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Bond has to pretend to be the London College of Arms' genealogist Sir Hilary Bray and visits Blofield on the excuse of investigating his claim to a title. Bond spends ages talking in extensive detail about genealogy but is given away by some trivial mistake and the fact that he (Bond being Bond) was visiting all the ladies rooms during the night :o

Speaking of Car Wars, I did always like the speed/handling mechanics. You could choose to play it safe, or push it and risk flipping out.

That setting so needs to make it onto a PC or console.

It's a total mystery to me as to why it hasn't.

Nah, it'll just change a bit, as it always has. What we've seen up until now in computer RPGs have been crude, limited and early attempts.

As tools and interfaces mature I can see a wholesale return to traditional group roleplaying. My son is 21 in his 3rd year of Uni and the nerds (who are now a far wider and more diverse group than in our day) are still happily playing the games. Often over social media, maybe using hybrid PnP and App based arrangements. Even those that use physical props are tending to 3D print them.

At the end of the day, you have a group of friends who want to tell stories to and with each other. The rules were only ever an interface solution to facilitate that.

But people still dig rolling dice :)

As tools and interfaces mature I can see a wholesale return to traditional group roleplaying. My son is 21 in his 3rd year of Uni and the nerds (who are now a far wider and more diverse group than in our day) are still happily playing the games. Often over social media, maybe using hybrid PnP and App based arrangements. Even those that use physical props are tending to 3D print them.

My son plays Pathfinder and Fate Accelerated via a program called Tabletop Simulator. I would use MapTool or Roll20.net if I were to have a group. Both TTS and Roll20 allow for virtual dice to be rolled (via a physics engine) onto a virtual table. All three have random number generation capabilities and some level of automation via macros. You are correct in that, while the venue is changing, the act of roleplaying is not going away.

I miss the days of gathering at a fellow player's home, or at a FLGS after hours, and playing an RPG together, in person, as a group. Break out the sodas and snacks, have some pizzas delivered, and spend hours questing or crimefighting. Doing it over social media, or through some virtual tabletop just isn't the same. Sure, it's more convenient, but it takes the soul out of the experience, which is to be in the physical company of friends, rolling actual dice, etc.

Ha! You only realise the grip this thing has on your group when you are 12 hours into a session when someone poses the question of whether you get food and finish this thing or adjourn to another day and get some sleep like normal people and the only real factor is whether you have enough cash and coffee....

Yeah, I do miss all that, but at 51 the option of gaming past about 10pm stopped being much of an option years ago :)

Middle age onset type 2 diabetes had something to say about the pizza and Coke diet, too...

I miss the days of gathering at a fellow player's home, or at a FLGS after hours, and playing an RPG together, in person, as a group. Break out the sodas and snacks, have some pizzas delivered, and spend hours questing or crimefighting. Doing it over social media, or through some virtual tabletop just isn't the same. Sure, it's more convenient, but it takes the soul out of the experience, which is to be in the physical company of friends, rolling actual dice, etc.

Can't argue with that. Would really love to have a face to face group. though even an online group would beat nothing at all.

I'm lucky enough to have enough friends and family local to me that are interested in RPGs that I can run regular gaming sessions, at least part-year. Some have small children, some have teenagers, everyone has vacations, work demands, and all that. But for the last few years we've been able to get together regularly during the colder months for RPGs. Sure, we only get to game for 2-3 hours at a time, but they're some of the best hours of the week! And like most of you, I'm not sure I could do a marathon session any more even if everyone else was up for it...

Ha! You only realise the grip this thing has on your group when you are 12 hours into a session when someone poses the question of whether you get food and finish this thing or adjourn to another day and get some sleep like normal people and the only real factor is whether you have enough cash and coffee....

Based on this line, someone needs to write an RPG about playing RPGs...

Chris.

Absolutely. 

For me the FLGS is there, finding players that enjoy my type of roleplay (the kind that is not the current standard of sword swinging murder hobo :tsk: ) is harder.   But I have decided to put effort into gathering a few and that means running games.  I have been running occasional one-shot thriller/horror using Fear Itself, Nights Black Agents and Call of Cthulhu/Trail of Cthulhu with a lot of success as in having more players than seats.  

I just committed to running a Conan 2d20 game a couple weeks ago and the turnout was far more than anticipated to the point I will most likely need to recruit a second GM for another table.  I am running Conan using the Thriller Mystery with a sword Pulp angle rather than the common murder hobo one and people are enjoying it.  Well all but one that probably will not stay, a D&D rule mechanic that cannot seem to grasp the rules-lite narrative style we are playing vice the straight jacket D&D/Pathfinder "must find specific permission rule" style.  

Yes, it is not Hero or Champions.  But many players are these days are really hesitate to play games that do not center around "Kill it all and take the treasure".  I know, everyone says the opposite, but they overwhelmingly play murder-hobo.

my current plan is to ease them from murder-hobo to roleplayer using Conan to start, into a Pulp Noir thriller and then into a generally good guys with minor powers.  Once they are comfortable with that I will see about a SuperHero game....

For my 50th birthday I planned a weekend away with friends. There were 10 of us, we got to a house we rented at about midday on Friday and began gaming, mostly board games. We played that night, all day Saturday and most of Sunday, bailing out about midnight to get home in time for work on Monday morning. I think we averaged about four hours sleep a night.

The only reason we left the house was to get food and drink.

Fantastic birthday treat and showed me we were not past it. :-). Looking forward to the next 50th in the group.

Doc

I've got a distributed group, so the face to face is tricky. But we've managed to get back to regular gaming via Skype this year.

If it wasn't for Maptool I don't know when I'd get any gaming it.

Also, can I recommend Discord? Much better than Skype imo and has yet to "upgrade my experience" :D