What is the average Damage Class of your heroes?

Tech

What is the average Damage Class of heroes  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What is the average DC of heroes in your campaign?

DC 12 with martial maneovers allowed to exceed that by their base *bonus dice* (ie martial strike adds +2d6 so could be a  DC 14 on a non-advantaged attack) - not their total bonus (so /v attacks are still capped to 12, and + hth DC can still only take the DC to 12).

Yes it does.  It does make the martial skill characters hit 'hardest' if slugging it out toe to toe but conceptually the ranged characters don't have to worry as much about opponents with half moves larger than themselves always skittering out of reach (or being Knocked Back out of your half-movement reach by your own 14 DC attack) and I wanted something to reflect that technically melee is typically more vulnerable to terrain, etc - though it doesn't always pan out that way in a superhero setting.

DC isn't as important as defensive caps, though.  5 DC, 12 DC, 24 DC ... all play about the same if you set the defensive cap at 3 to 3.5 x DC (you just make people spend more points trying to get their and feeling overwhelmed if they can't).

Well average is a bit hard to say. The reason for that is as follows. I've rarely been in a campaign that didn't have a 12d6 max. I thing the golden agey campaign with the 8d6 max was the one exception. Which would mean damage from 10d6 to 12d6 would be fine. But I've rarely seen anyone not buy the damage to the max. I'll admit even I am guilty. In a 12d6 game that's the sort of damage Thor or Superman should be doing, Spiderman and Captain America should only hit 10d6 with manuveres or an item. But nobody wants to go yes my attacks are only 5/6 as good as everyone eleses. So there isn"t really an average to report. 

For my mind the baseline is usually going to be "what happens against normal cops, crooks and soldiers?".

Supers are commonly built to be bulletproof, meaning resistant defences in the 10-15 range, and overall defences around 20. Going by the old 3e-4e guidelines, that suggests DC10. 10d6 vs 20 PD means a fight that's not going to drag on forever, will encourage blocking and dodging, allow for some knockback and respectable property damage and so forth. As this is the base (not Max), particularly tough cookies can have somewhat higher defences, in the 25-30 bracket.

Well, the rDEF can be raised to the campaign cap without any problems, and often is for that sort of character. rPD 25 is not excessive for an average DC of 10 and will protect against anything shy of the heaviest military weapons. 

If you need to punch into a tank, jump onto it and use a Haymaker. If it's immobilised you can skip the first part.

But if you ARE expecting the campaign to routinely have 6d6K tank guns and missiles in play, your baseline is much higher than 10DC and should be adjusted accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...