Opponent Engagement Mechanic?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Crusher Bob

Crusher Bob

Standard Hero

• 178 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:23 PM

Hmm, could you add a linked change environment to force people to make a DEX roll or fall down when you hit them?

It's a 3 pt Change environment to get -1 to DEX rolls, and linking it to STR makes it 2 points. The ice sheet change environment says that just causing a penalty to the roll is enough to force a roll, so it looks like it would work? It does give you a non-martial arts alternative to forcing people to fall down when you hit them.

#22 iamlibertarian

iamlibertarian

Skilled Normal

• 81 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:49 AM

I am not sure I understand the point of penalizing players for intelligent combat...

#23 zslane

zslane

The Monster From the Clock

• 2,531 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:52 PM

Well, assuming you believe that ganging up on a single villain and ignoring all the other opposition is intelligent combat, then it would appear that sort of intelligence is not displayed by superheroes in the comics (perhaps as a deliberate trope?), and the OP wants to forcibly simulate that in his campaign.

#24 DasBroot

DasBroot

Bat-Noogier

• 1,135 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

Dramatic sense, genre convention, and a reluctance to have the opponents use it?

Point one and two are fluffy points and subject to opinion (though think of comics - when the the last time you saw everyone in a team fight pile on one guy and completely ignore the other guys shooting at them - seems rather reckless): point three is where the danger lies.  

It seriously reinforces the need for everyone to be built to the same defense level because if the enemies employee this tactic the character that can get dogpiled is anyones. You, as a player, have to expect that you will be attacked by 2, 3, 4, or 10 to 1.

With that in mind you should allocate many of your points to defenses, dcv, recovery, and stun.  That leaves you with less points for your actual concept, no matter how you look at it, so the hope is that your concept is 'guy who gets dogpiled' (brick)

If you're not the one picked all those points are sitting on your sheet wasted until it's your turn... which means that at least one of your team-mates is down and things are going poorly.

The other alternative is that all enemies are idiots who ignore this tactic... they happily get knocked out one by one and leave your team with damage spread all over the place that will quickly be recovered from.  It's how it was going to end anyways (the heroes prevail), sure, but by not matching the focus fire tactic they appear to be actively trying to lose.

(Amusingly this might force the *players* to be the ones to come up with ways to break up a dogpile and get the foes to attack them instead  - which might accomplish the same goal - except players are more likely to  just throw a selective AoE Entangle and call it a day before going back to focusing, whereas a GM has to be careful to not make their players dislike the game by doing so constantly)

"I threw a rock at him!"

*silence*

".... it was a *big* rock."

#25 Jagged

Jagged

Maptool Evangelist

• 289 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

I am not sure I understand the point of penalizing players for intelligent combat...

While it may be a sensible thing to do in the context of HeroSystem combat or your typical MMO, I feel it would be harder to do in reality. So I was wondering if there were ways to alter the dynamic to provide different combat opportunities.

#26 Crusher Bob

Crusher Bob

Standard Hero

• 178 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

Well, if the PCs all pile in to one guy, the other opponents could declare haymakers, since it won't matter if they are at 1/2 DCV.

#27 Christopher R Taylor

Christopher R Taylor

Hoopty Dude

• 6,027 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

They can do throws, flashes, target foci, use low DCV attacks like Haymaker as Crusher notes, use flanking (if you use those rules) and pile up on the PCs in return (hey, if its good enough for them to do it, why wouldn't the villains?), surprise attacks, coordinated attacks to stun PCs, use their off powers like drains and entangles, etc

Author of novels Life Unworthy, Old Habits, and Snowberry's veil, available in print and ebook

Also author of Hero Games licensed products:

The Lost Castle

The Fantasy Codex

Jolrhos Bestiary
Two Kings Keep

Elenthar's Tower

The Kestrel Arts webpage: art, books, free downloads, and more                               Kestrel Arts on Twitter                           Kestrel Arts on Facebook