Sam On Maui

Questions on current version

I'm considering getting it. I'd be using it on my desktop PC and my Surface Pro if I got it. Easy to use? Touch friendly? Can I print out speed charts? Add/remove characters for quick new charts? Thoughts?

Also, does it make it easy/fast to do things that change the speed chart mid-game? We have 8-13 people in our HERO games every week, so there are parts of the system we deliberately block off because they mess with the speed chart...

As the creator of the HCM I am happy to answer your questions.

• It works on any system capable of running a full Java VM.  So if you can run Hero Designer on your Surface Pro then you can run HCM.
  • You must own Hero Designer because HCM uses output files from Hero Designer.
  • Easy to use?  Yes/No ;-).  There are things about the UI that I don't like but it functions.
  • Touch friendly?  I have no idea
  • Print Speed Charts?  Don't need to because HCM uses an export from Hero Designer.  The exported file contains all the information about the character(s) needed to manage combat.
  • Add/Remove Characters quickly?  If you have the exported file, adding is easy.  Deleting characters is very easy from a combat session.
  • You can change a character's speed mid-combat.  Unfortunately this feature, works but there is a long standing bug where you might have to hit the OK button a few times before the dialog goes away.  I have tried to figure out what is going on but I can't (setting breakpoints in the debugger hasn't helped, trace output hasn't helped, it's an evil bug that will truly celebrate when I squash it - can you tell that I hate that bug).

You have a big gaming group.  I have run HCM with 6 player characters, multiple major villains, and armies of goons.  Getting through phase 12 still takes a while but you don't have to deal with book keeping (how much stun did that goon take).

More can be found here, (One Hit Wonder is an option now).