Pre-built Angels or other "good" summonable critters

iamlibertarian

The Hero System Bestiary doesn't have any Angels.

There are the Nat (HSB 372), which apparently include "Nature Spirits" and "Devas". They could easily be converted into lesser Angels by giving them Flight.

There are some Fey that can be adapted, such as the Daoine Sidhi (HSB 320). Which is described as a "fallen angel of Ireland", and could easily be converted into a god-like angel.

The only published Hero System books I've ever seen containing stats and descriptions for classes of angels are, first, the Ultimate Super Mage and the Super Mage Bestiary; but those are both for Fourth Edition Hero. The former writes up Lahatiel, an Angel of Wrath and Vengeance (a warrior/punisher),as well as including some general discussion of angels; while the latter covers a Herald Angel (divine messenger), Angel of Mercy (healer), and a Warding Angel (guardian of a place). These are inspired more by descriptions of angels in the traditional holy texts of their religions, than by depictions in popular culture. Their power level is not excessive compared to most superheroes, making them appropriate for Summoning.

The Vibora Bay source book has a full Fifth Edition write-up for Therakiel, the "Halfway Angel," who was once an archangel. He was swayed by Lucifer against God, but not wholly committed to either party; so when he was cast out of Heaven he only fell partway, to Earth rather than Hell. Therakiel's stats are very powerful compared to most published characters, although stated as being diminished from his fully angelic state.

Note that these books are available from the Hero Games website store, at great bargain prices considering how much they contain. VB is in both PDF and hard copy, while the two Ultimate books are only in PDF.

site:www.herogames.com 

Hero Games Forums Google Search  

Fantasy Hero by Hero Games - Divine and Diabolical Racial Package Deals

Vibora Bay by Hero Games - Fallen Angel/Demon

Bestiary by Hero Games - Demons & Avatars

GURPS In Nomine by Steve Jackson Games 

Demon: The Fallen by White Wolf

Fireborn by Fantasy Flight Games 

Angel RPG by Eden Studios 

Primal Order by Wizards of the Coast

Rapture: The Second Coming by Holistic Design

The Seventh Seal by Creative Illusions - War between Heaven and Hell on Earth.

Celestius Ex, 2nd Ed A Christian Roleplaying Game by Crown of Thorns Studio

Glorantha by Chaosium - Ascension and Classes of Gods

Brave New World by Pinnacle Games & Alderac Entertainment Group - The Covenant

Godsend Agenda D6 by Khepera Publishing - Alien Angels & Demons

Deities & Demi Gods by Wizards of the Coast - The Classics

Armeggeddon: The End Times by Eden Studios - Dark Urban Fantasy with a twist. 

Nobilis RPG Game of Greater Powers by Hogshead Publishing/Guardians of Order - Beautiful Book

Testament: Roleplaying in the Biblical Era by Green Ronin Publishing - By our own Scott Bennie

GURPS Religion by Steve Jackson Games - The best Sourcebook for Religion RPGing out there... So far

Shadowrun: Magic in the Shadows by Fantasy Productions - Deals with Religion and Angels and Demons as Spirits. 

Champions of Vancouver - Gabriel, Archangel of Communications. An Avatar rather than a true Archangel. 

Good Luck

QM

Just take evil ones and morality flip their Complications, surely?

I figured I would be doing some of this anyway, and will. But all the demons and devils powers are "kill and destroy". But I am looking Also for something more good natured power-wise, that I don't have to totally create from scratch.

If for no other reason than, if I am looking for something to Summon, it is usually easier to get them by GMs if they already have the HERO seal of approval, lol. The 'good yet vengeful ones I can throw at the bad guys. But I like to do 'behind the scenes' stuff as well.

Surbrook's Stuff - In Nomine

I couldn't find any conversions from that game on Michael's website -- could you please direct us?

Fantasy Hero 6E

p. 66 Demigod Template  

p. 70 Divine Template 

p. 73 Infernal Template 

More intended for human PCs or NPCs with some measure of supernatural blood in their veins, than actual creatures one can Summon.

I figured I would be doing some of this anyway, and will. But all the demons and devils powers are "kill and destroy". But I am looking Also for something more good natured power-wise, that I don't have to totally create from scratch.

If for no other reason than, if I am looking for something to Summon, it is usually easier to get them by GMs if they already have the HERO seal of approval, lol. The 'good yet vengeful ones I can throw at the bad guys. But I like to do 'behind the scenes' stuff as well.

If 4E isn't problematic for you, I recommend the aforementioned Super Mage Bestiary. It's full of Hero creatures with a wide variety of uses, styles, and motivations, most of which haven't been seen since. And it's only $5.00 US. http://www.herogames.com/forums/store/product/663-super-mage-bestiary-pdf-4th-edition/

Fair point. Morality flipping a destruction demon just gives you an avenging angel, not a healer.

In other words, there are a billion Evil summonable critters who can run about causing mayhem and destruction. Are there any *pre-build* critters which run around doing good?

Other than your general animal intelligence beasts, 99% of the rest of the critters out there Seem to be just Evil critters, meant to be used by GMs, which are on occasion able to be forced to serve 'good' characters, still only in destructive ways.

Is there a "Spirit of Healing" for example which could be put to "Good" use? Anything like it at all, which is *pre-built* and ready to Summon or put to Good use?

Thanks,

DC :)

The reason you won't find many "good" summonables pre-built into Hero is that the assumption is that if a PC is paying for the Summon Power, they are going to want to define the creature they summon themselves. Most of the bestiary style supplements are just meant to save the GM time coming up with encounters from scratch.

Don't forget that angels need not be "good". What is "good" for mankind may not be what is "good" in God's eyes.

Or at least, what the character attempting the summoning considers good isn't what God would consider good or good for mankind.

Note: And motives could matter, even if the result would be good, the intention maybe not.

Dean Shomshak makes the point in his discussions of translating angelic traditions appearing in Abrahamic holy texts to gaming, that what is objectively "good" isn't necessarily nice. Angels are made to follow God's law in every particular, with an absolute fidelity that mortals can't match. Angels see no grey area between right and wrong, and have no sympathy for human frailties and failings. Many angels are created for a single purpose; those designed for battle or punishment are utterly ruthless in carrying out God's will.

But Dean also presented a sample superhero in The Ultimate Mystic who is a demigod son of the goddess Aphrodite by a warrior angel, whom she seduced mainly to prove that she could. :snicker: