Halloween horror films.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Tech priest support

Tech priest support

Very High Powered Superhero

• 682 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:10 PM

With halloween coming let's recommend some horror film for the season.

''Shadow of the vampire'' is a nice. Original horror film based on the legendary horror movie ''nosferatu''. This is. Not a remake or reboot but an original. Movie.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be very uncomfortable if you're one of the facts that needs altering." The Doctor.

#2 Twilight

Twilight

Millennial Master

• 4,248 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:36 PM

Trick R Treat is one of my favorites.  A nice little anthology film that actually tries to be scary rather then just gory.

The original Halloween is a must of course, I'm fond of some of the sequels too but the original is by far the best.

#3 death tribble

death tribble

Lolth's Pet Mischief Maker

• 34,120 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:45 AM

There is this

'We will Play Nice !' - The Society of Ben

The Tribble is angry, my friend, very angry.

People are strange when you're a Tribble, faces seem ugly when you're alone.

Dictator and President for Life of the Non Gaming Discussion Forums on Hero Games.

#4 BoloOfEarth

BoloOfEarth

Smell? It Sphinx!

• 10,698 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:40 AM

Just turn on the 6:00 news.  I can't think there's much scarier than the current state of the world.

"Sometimes getting PCs together is like herding kittens...nuclear powered kittens at that." - phoenix240

"The Internet. It's like an idiot assembly plant." - Lawnmower Boy

#5 Twilight

Twilight

Millennial Master

• 4,248 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:58 AM

There is this

That was a movie that would have been better received if it had not used the Halloween name.  Or, y'know, been a Moore era Bond movie masquerading as a horror flick.

#6 Cassandra

Cassandra

The Supreme Know It All!

• 4,719 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:14 PM

Spaced Invaders - Martians mistake the 50th anniversary of the War of the Worlds broadcast for an invasion, and end up mistaken for trick or treaters.

"KITT was a Cylon."

#7 Lord Liaden

Lord Liaden

Pointy-headed

• 19,893 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

I'm not generally a fan of horror, but I'm always willing to recommend the original The Night Stalker, starring Darren McGavin. One of the first modern re-definitions of the vampire myth, it's smart, stylish, and suspenseful, and holds up remarkably well considering it's a made-for-television movie from 1972. And you can watch the whole movie for free on YouTube:

• Lucius, Dr. MID-Nite and Burrito Boy like this

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

- Maya Angelou

#8 Cassandra

Cassandra

The Supreme Know It All!

• 4,719 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

The Day of the Triffids (1962) - A meteor shower all over the World has to effects.  It deposits seeds which grown into seven foot tall carnivorous plants, and it blinds most of the people on Earth.  A handful of survivors must escape England and find a way to defeat the Triffids.

Remade in 2009 as a mini-series.

• Burrito Boy likes this

"KITT was a Cylon."

#9 Dr. MID-Nite

Dr. MID-Nite

Kaiju Krusader

• 2,160 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:03 PM

Lots of great films, but Cabin in the Woods, Scanners, Childeren Shouldn't Play With Dead Things, The Keep, and The Wicker Man for starters...

#10 winterhawk

winterhawk

Cosmically Powerful Superhero

• 707 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:23 PM

I'm not generally a fan of horror, but I'm always willing to recommend the original The Night Stalker, starring Darren McGavin. One of the first modern re-definitions of the vampire myth, it's smart, stylish, and suspenseful, and holds up remarkably well considering it's a made-for-television movie from 1972. And you can watch the whole movie for free on YouTube:

This

Now Venture will send Sampson after the rest of us, and he'll go totally sickhouse on our asses. I like my ass, gentlemen.

-The Monarch addressing his henchmen, Dia de Los Dangerous!, The Venture Bros.

Up yours, Zoidberg. Up wherever your species traditionally crams things.

-Hermes Conrad, A Clone of My Own, Futurama

Lets go be Bad Guys.

-Jayne Cobb, Serenity

You know, Monster Island and Milwaukee are a thousand miles apart. Monster Island means mutated lizards and bugs four hundred feet tall. Milwaukee means beer. And on Monster Island, they don’t take any crap, and they don’t take American Express.

-Tom Servo, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Mystery Science Theater 3000

#11 Greywind

Greywind

Triple Millennial Master

• 10,412 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:26 PM

Space Invaders - Martians mistake the 50th anniversary of the War of the Worlds broadcast for an invasion, and end up mistaken for trick or treaters.

Spaced Invaders

• Cassandra likes this

With your shield or on it.

"The laws of celestial mechanics dictate that when two objects collide, there is always damage of a collateral nature." ~ Prof. Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

"It's like switching from an action thriller RIGHT when it all goes to hell and you don't know if they live and someone walks in and changes the channel to Gilmore Girls." ~ my Muse about my writing. :)

Greywind's Characters

Snippets

Business Unfinished

Reaffirmation Day

#12 Greywind

Greywind

Triple Millennial Master

• 10,412 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:27 PM

The Mummy
The Mummy Returns

The Lord of Illusions

"The laws of celestial mechanics dictate that when two objects collide, there is always damage of a collateral nature." ~ Prof. Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

"It's like switching from an action thriller RIGHT when it all goes to hell and you don't know if they live and someone walks in and changes the channel to Gilmore Girls." ~ my Muse about my writing. :)

Greywind's Characters

Snippets

Business Unfinished

Reaffirmation Day

#13 Badger

Badger

Anti-Social Neighbor

• 18,847 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:37 AM

Don't tell anybody it is free, now they'll be charging within 24 hours.

- a follower of the evil Punxsutawney Phil, devourer of the media. - I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. - Ewokses is tasty. - Badger's Ewokhunters: Where freaks and outcasts can find a home. - HELP! I am in an eccentric orbit.

#14 Badger

Badger

Anti-Social Neighbor

• 18,847 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:39 AM

The Mummy
The Mummy Returns

The Lord of Illusions

Lord of Illusions was surprisingly pretty good for what I was expecting.

Liked The Mummy, the Mummy returns was a disappointment to me.

- a follower of the evil Punxsutawney Phil, devourer of the media. - I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. - Ewokses is tasty. - Badger's Ewokhunters: Where freaks and outcasts can find a home. - HELP! I am in an eccentric orbit.

#15 Pattern Ghost

Pattern Ghost

Decuple Millennial Master

• 12,609 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:09 AM

The Serpent and the Rainbow is one of my favorites.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This Week in MMOs

#16 Cassandra

Cassandra

The Supreme Know It All!

• 4,719 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:07 AM

Spaced Invaders

The Ministry of Truth thanks you.

"KITT was a Cylon."

#17 Greywind

Greywind

Triple Millennial Master

• 10,412 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

Lord of Illusions was surprisingly pretty good for what I was expecting.

Liked The Mummy, the Mummy returns was a disappointment to me.

Main draw to me was Rachel. Main drawback to The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor was lack of Rachel.

• Pariah likes this

Greywind's Characters

Snippets

Business Unfinished

Reaffirmation Day

#18 Cassandra

Cassandra

The Supreme Know It All!

• 4,719 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

Halloween (1978)

"KITT was a Cylon."

#19 death tribble

death tribble

Lolth's Pet Mischief Maker

• 34,120 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

Main draw to me was Rachel. Main drawback to The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor was lack of Rachel.

Similar for me but substitute Arnold Vosloo for Rachel.

'We will Play Nice !' - The Society of Ben

The Tribble is angry, my friend, very angry.

People are strange when you're a Tribble, faces seem ugly when you're alone.

Dictator and President for Life of the Non Gaming Discussion Forums on Hero Games.

#20 Badger

Badger

Anti-Social Neighbor

• 18,847 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:44 AM

Well, Mummy Returns would have at least been forgiveable, but I felt the writers butchered the Arnold Vosloo and girlfriend relationship at the end.  And for really no point, kind of an infuriating ending point to an already disappointment.

The Scorpion King was actually the 2nd best movie in that series, if you just take as a simple action movie and didn't overthink it (and well it did have Kelly Hu)