Talk to the Animals

mrinku

There's various ways you can do a character that can talk to animals in HERO, but I was reading Unbeatable Squirrel Girl the other day and it occurred to me that I don't know that I've ever seen it done using the language skill system.

For those who aren't familiar with USG, at one point Squirrel Girl (who can naturally talk to squirrels) teaches her friends the language. This isn't some mystical thing... at the end of one issue they're setting around while she explains vowel sounds and they practice saying them. The following issue (which is set about a year later thanks to Marvel's 2015 reboot) they've learned enough to be at least conversational in Squirrelese.

This is also the exact way Doctor Doolittle learns to do it. His parrot (who speaks English) teaches him some animal languages and he becomes fluent in more and more of them by study and practice. The same applies to Tarzan... except in his case human languages are second ones, and the first one he actually learns to speak is French (he taught himself to read English, but had no way of associating sounds to the words).

So... instead of limited Telepathy, Analytical senses and so forth, appropriate animal speech might be purchased as Unrelated languages (+1 point, usually with no literacy option) by GM permission. That doesn't preclude the Telepathy option - Aquaman has outright mental powers to think-speak and mind control fish. But if you find yourself getting into "telepathy, squirrels only, requires speech" territory, maybe what you really need are a few points of L: Squirrelese?

It's also not freely available in most campaigns. And learning animal languages (which may not be primarily verbal; cf Dr Doolittle) this way has precedent, as I've noted above. Badger is another character that chats with critters, though he's not seen to actually learn them by studying so may be more of a powers based solution. Animal Handling covers things for a realistic scenario, but this idea is for fantastic ones. 

There's plenty of mythic precedent for characters who "learn the language of the beasts", so I can definitely see this being something a fantasy campaign might allow. You also may want to limit it to the smarter animals (Squirrels certainly qualify there). In real life some gorillas, chimps, dolphins and dogs among others have learned to communicate at surprisingly high levels.

Tjack, it'll be +1 for being unrelated to known languages (unless you already know a similar animal language - GM's call. Squirrelese and Chipmunkian are stated to be similar in USG). Strictly speaking by CC rules there's no discount for a language not having a written form, though I expect that is the case in 6e proper. But full fluency is going to be 3 or 4 points. Three points gets you a full skill, or an income of $300,000 pa. Or accented fluency in Martian.

Of course just being able to talk to an animal doesn't give you any power over it, just as speaking French doesn't allow you to control French people or summon a swarm of them to attack Dr Doom. Those things need skills and powers and such. Squirrel Girl clearly has Summon Squirrels (only if locally available), a Follower/capable DNPC and considerable ability to command squirrels (it's not infallible - my take would be skills-based leadership over mind control. She's generally charismatic and good at persuading everyone, not just squirrels).

Tjack, it'll be +1 for being unrelated to known languages (unless you already know a similar animal language - GM's call. Squirrelese and Chipmunkian are stated to be similar in USG). Strictly speaking by CC rules there's no discount for a language not having a written form, though I expect that is the case in 6e proper. But full fluency is going to be 3 or 4 points. Three points gets you a full skill, or an income of $300,000 pa. Or accented fluency in Martian.

There is precedent for languages that cannot express complex concepts costing less. Do squirrels in the Marvel Universe write epic poetry, or is it limited to, "metal bad guy over there by Monkey Joe's acorn stash"?

There is precedent for languages that cannot express complex concepts costing less. Do squirrels in the Marvel Universe write epic poetry, or is it limited to, "metal bad guy over there by Monkey Joe's acorn stash"?

Pretty complex. Tippy-Toe (her animal sidekick) and her have in-depth conversations and is clearly of at least average human intelligence, but probably smarter than average (and it's a given that she's much smarter than your average squirrel, because animal companion).

But sure. If you are running this idea there's no reason ALL animal languages should be treated equally (though this is common in mythic settings). Some will likely be pretty basic and may be cheaper. On the other hand, some may be particularly hard to learn because of nature of the animal, especially if tails and smell are involved in the grammar.

Long ago I remember reading something in Dragon Magazine where a Dungeon Master said a player took "Wall" as a language for his character, and tried to interrogate dungeon walls as to what was on the other side of them. Said Dungeon Master dealt with this by having the walls say "I don't know - I'm plastered!"

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says that player character might as well be talking to a....never mind.

IMHO simple GM permission is enough. In a Superhero setting it would only be allowed if appropriate to a character's theme. In a Mythic one it may just be part of the ground rules, like gods and magic. But a threshold purchase would make sense for some settings, I guess.

The flip side of all this are animals that can understand human language - it's worth pointing out that in USG, Tippy-Toe does understand English (but then she's a Special Animal Companion). You can potentially end up with a Han Solo/Chewbacca conversation where each understands the other's language but isn't capable of speaking it.

Its up to the GM and how they want to run the setting.  If they start with the assumption that animals speak their own language and are at least intelligent enough to hold a conversation at some level, then learning a language makes sense.  If they are just animals and you have to have some special power to speak to them, its going to be a bit more complicated.

Harry Potter's Parseltongue could also fall into this. You can have magical trappings, make it an inherited ability and so on, just as with other abilities. The "learnable skill" aspect is not a requirement.

For me, it fits the typical "talk to animals" source material better than limited Telepathy, Mind Link or Ananlyze Animal Communication would, though some of those are definitely seen as well (Falcon has an outright Mind Link with Redwing and Aquaman uses Telepathy and Mind Control on sea creatures. With special effects, even!). Everything that applies to normal Language use would apply, and I really can't see any practical points difference between being able to speak with Orcs or to Sparrows.

For dumb animals that definitely do not communicate (in any setting), Animal Handling should be enough.

I would assume talking to animals in a language would depend on the GM and the campaign.  If I was running a campaign like the Potterverse, then animals would have their own tongue and the language can be bought as a language with no points of similarity.  If its in a supers setting, I'd probably require it to be telepathy with incantations.

interesting side note: Aquaman's ability to talk to marine life is mind control and telepathy, while aqualad supposed really communicates.  In one comic, aqualad notes he likes his method better because it give the fish a choice and he has to convince the fish to help while Aquaman forces the fish to comply.

From a character I'm working on

Giving Voice to the Voiceless: (Total: 36 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) Universal Translator 11-, Usable As Attack (+1/4), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor can only grant the power to others, Recipient must remain close to Grantor (25 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Conditional Power Must abstain from strong drink (a cup of wine disables power for a day) (-1/4), Conditional Power Requires daily meditation (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12) <b>plus</b> Hearing Group Images, Usable As Attack (+1/4), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor can only grant the power to others, Recipient must remain close to Grantor, Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4) (7 Active Points); Linked (Universal Translator; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Conditional Power Must abstain from strong drink (a cup of wine disables power for a day) (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3) <b>plus</b> +3 INT, Usable As Attack (+1/4), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor can only grant the power to others, Recipient must remain close to Grantor (4 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Conditional Power Must abstain from strong drink (a cup of wine disables power for a day) (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2)

This not only permits him to talk to living animals, but he can talk to a steak. And the plate it's served on. And the table the plate sits on.

At least that's the intention, I'm not sure the power build is right yet.

Lucius Alexander

Talking to a palindromedary

Nice idea, Lucius :)

Table: You have no idea what I have to put up with.

Plate: Hey, at least you only get wiped down with a damp rag. I get plunged into boiling water and caustic chemicals on a daily basis!

Steak: Really? REALLY?

That underscores for me the main difference between Universal Translator and actually knowing the language - no roll required to communicate at the purchased level.

You could probably do that as postcognition, with the special effect that the inanimate objects relay their information through conversation.

How about a 3 point tiered language?

1) Specific subcategory of animals (all domestic types of dogs, all domestic types of cats, all types of squirrels, large felines, etc)

2) Large category of animals (land based mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, etc)

3) All animals (on a particular planet)

Mind you they probably wouldn't have complex intelligence so it would be like talking to a 5 yearold, and you might have to explain concepts or use more descriptive language, and best to also bring treats... They are far more willing to divulge information if they are given snacks for every question they answer!

Giving Voice to the Voiceless: (Total: 36 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) <snip>

Seems overtly complicated... wouldn't Language: Common, fluent; Usable on others (+1/4). Active points 3 be better? Although that certainly wouldn't let them speak if they couldn't, or raise their volume to a level you'd understand. (A fly for example could talk but it would be so quiet you'd need super hearing or to shrink yourself down first, and a steak couldn't talk because it isn't alive...)

If you wanted to go down the language route I think that you might require the purchase of the Universal Skill - Talk to the Animals. Just like Jack of All Trades but makes learning animal languages easier - but also necessary before you can begin buying them.

Anthropomorphizer could be the new Skill Enhancer & Universal Anthropomorphizer the Other "Universal" Talent a la APG.

I would not make either a requirement to take (Animal)-ese as a Language.

Anthropomorphizer could be the new Skill Enhancer & Universal Anthropomorphizer the Other "Universal" Talent a la APG.

I would not make either a requirement to take (Animal)-ese as a Language.

You know, I was certain someone mentioned they wanted something "different", not just buying a language. That was why I suggested a universal skill.

I don't think I would allow any talk to the animals languages unless it was inherent in the ambit of the campaign. If it was, I might allow direct purchase or require prerequisites depending on the tone I was looking for and the rarity I was hoping for.

Doc

All quite smart animals it should be pointed out. Rodents and mustelids are up there with cats and dogs in the brainpower department.

Here's a qoute from "The Complete Gnomes & Halflings Guide":

Shy and timid when it comes to relations with other intelligent races, Forest Gnomes are very determined caretakers of their wooded domains.

They are viewed with friendship by the animals of the forest and have developed a limited language of signs and sounds (similar to the Rock Gnome's 'speech' with burrowing mammals) that allows them to communicate with these creatures, though without a great deal of detail.

Thus a squirrel might chatter something about an intruder in the forest and even indicate the general direction of the trespasser, but it can provide no information as to the nature, size, or numbers of the possible enemy (as a rule of thumb, consider all such communications to consist of a single word only; i.e. "danger!" "food," "happy," and the like).

In some cases the "talking to animals" could well be the presented special effect of another skill or power. Wonder Woman and Animal Man have sometimes been shown doing this.

AFAIK only Squirrel Girl and Dr Doolittle have definitely shown learning animal language through study.

Giving Voice to the Voiceless: (Total: 36 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) Universal Translator 11-, Usable As Attack (+1/4), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor can only grant the power to others, Recipient must remain close to Grantor (25 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Conditional Power Must abstain from strong drink (a cup of wine disables power for a day) (-1/4), Conditional Power Requires daily meditation (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12) <b>plus</b> Hearing Group Images, Usable As Attack (+1/4), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor can only grant the power to others, Recipient must remain close to Grantor, Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4) (7 Active Points); Linked (Universal Translator; -1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Conditional Power Must abstain from strong drink (a cup of wine disables power for a day) (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3) <b>plus</b> +3 INT, Usable As Attack (+1/4), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor can only grant the power to others, Recipient must remain close to Grantor (4 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Conditional Power Must abstain from strong drink (a cup of wine disables power for a day) (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2)

This not only permits him to talk to living animals, but he can talk to a steak. And the plate it's served on. And the table the plate sits on.

At least that's the intention, I'm not sure the power build is right yet.

Lucius Alexander

Talking to a palindromedary

Interesting take, but personally, I'd only accept language from something with an Int score.

Interesting take, but personally, I'd only accept language from something with an Int score.

That's why the Power gives a target an INT score.

Granted, only 3 INT....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks that should perhaps have a Limitation, only for targets with INT below 3 naturally