Book recommendation

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. R

Mr. R

Low-Powered Superhero

• 847 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:26 PM

So I just read about the update that Green Ronin is doing to the Freedom-verse, especially the new Lady Liberty.

So I offer a Book to read, a YA novel called “Dreadnought” by April Daniels.  Here read the blurb from Goodreads.  I found it enjoyable and a bit thought provoking.

Link

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30279514-dreadnought

Jerome R. Rondeau Knowledge is dangerous. Ignorance is deadly. My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton

#2 Cassandra

Cassandra

The Supreme Know It All!

• 4,719 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:22 PM

Starship Troopers (1959) By Robert Heinlein for Powered Armor in combat.

The Avengers: Battle of the Earth Eater (1967)  By Otto Binder for the superhero team.

"KITT was a Cylon."

#3 phydaux

phydaux

Very High Powered Superhero

• 863 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:51 PM

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman was OK.

I like the Wearing the Cape series by M. G. Harmon.  Six books in the series so far.  A little too teen romance for me sometimes, though.

West Pacific Supers series by K. M. Johnson-Weider is very good.  Plus the author says on his web site that he borrows greatly from his home Champions campaign.  I wish the author would write more.

"General, THIS is what happens when you let rednecks play with antimatter."

#4 John Desmarais

John Desmarais

Neptune City Comptroller

• 2,640 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:21 AM

The Avengers: Battle of the Earth Eater (1967)  By Otto Binder for the superhero team.

The Avengers: Battle of the Earth Eater was pretty campy at times.  

Pocket Books but out a series of Marvel novels in the late 1970s though that were much better than I expected.  I read most of these when they came out and would, if I still had them, consider re-reading them.

https://www.goodread...el-novel-series

John Desmarais
The Stuff Heroes Are Made Of - www.herostuff.net
=====================================
Man is the only animal that blushes - or needs to.
-- Mark Twain

#5 Cassandra

Cassandra

The Supreme Know It All!

• 4,719 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:36 PM

The Avengers: Battle of the Earth Eater was pretty campy at times.  

Pocket Books but out a series of Marvel novels in the late 1970s though that were much better than I expected.  I read most of these when they came out and would, if I still had them, consider re-reading them.

https://www.goodread...el-novel-series

Otto Binder created Mary Marvel, Supergirl, and Miss America (Madeline Joyce) for Timely/Marvel. 

The Bridge that Supergirl saved from the Airliner in the Pilot was named after him.

"KITT was a Cylon."

#6 Cassandra

Cassandra

The Supreme Know It All!

• 4,719 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Kingdom Come by Elliot S. Maggin - The Novelization of the Graphic Novel with more details of the future DC World.

Miracle Monday by Elliot S. Maggin - A Superman novel that introduced Kristin Wells who would be the Bronze Age Superwoman.

"KITT was a Cylon."

#7 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,429 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:55 PM

Great book. But be careful of the version. I got into a discussion with a friend and we had completely different takes on several parts of the book. When he pulled out his copy he was right. I was sure I was losing my memory. When I went home and pulled my copy out I discovered I had remembered right. Later we compared books, my 1979 print and his from 1987. There are subtle but significant changes that completely change the story. The 2016 copy I bought is even further away from the original 😞

And don't bother with the crapfest movie novelization 😱

To Assume, To make an A$$ out of U and Me.

No I didn't deliberately make a moronic statement designed to start a flame war. I'm just BBS Challenged.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne

#8 death tribble

death tribble

Lolth's Pet Mischief Maker

• 34,120 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:11 PM

I'm sorry Spence but I like the movie. It cannot be bad. It has Michael Ironside in it. And as it is a Paul Verhoeven film it has the delicious black humour. Would you like to know more ? as the film says.

• wcw43921, Lawnmower Boy and Burrito Boy like this

'We will Play Nice !' - The Society of Ben

The Tribble is angry, my friend, very angry.

People are strange when you're a Tribble, faces seem ugly when you're alone.

Dictator and President for Life of the Non Gaming Discussion Forums on Hero Games.

#9 steriaca

steriaca

Misspellian Master

• 4,502 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:15 PM

Nobody is talking about the Wild Cards series?
  • zslane likes this

Eather sent via Libary Computer or my cellphone. I do not own my own computer. Creator of bad spellings, and stuff both great and stuff only great inside my own mind. Warning: I may be published one day.

#10 death tribble

death tribble

Lolth's Pet Mischief Maker

• 34,120 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:19 PM

Good point. I have the first ten.

The Wild Card Universe primarily takes place in New York following a viral outbreak that takes place in the late 40s. The first book gives a bit of history and introduces many major recurring characters.

Would You Like To Know More ?

'We will Play Nice !' - The Society of Ben

The Tribble is angry, my friend, very angry.

People are strange when you're a Tribble, faces seem ugly when you're alone.

Dictator and President for Life of the Non Gaming Discussion Forums on Hero Games.

#11 zslane

zslane

The Monster From the Clock

• 2,692 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:32 PM

+1 for Wild Cards.

-1 for Verhoeven's Starship Troopers movie. As a dark humor satire of military sci-fi it has watchable moments intermixed with moments of utter stupidity. As an adaptation of Heinlein's novel, it is an atrocious hatchet job.

@Spence: I had no idea the book had been altered by publishers. Who in the hell approved that? Surely not REH himself.

#12 TheQuestionMan

TheQuestionMan

Septuple Millennial Master

• 7,884 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:05 PM

Wild Cards series was hit and miss.

Life is not about having the right Answers. It is about having the right Questions. - QM

#13 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,429 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

I'm sorry Spence but I like the movie. It cannot be bad. It has Michael Ironside in it. And as it is a Paul Verhoeven film it has the delicious black humour. Would you like to know more ? as the film says.

Well I guess it is because I hate "bait and switch". The movie eas billed AS Heinlein's Starship Troopers. Not as something that vaguely borrowed a few names. It keeps trying to get a pass itself as a parody. The problem is that Veer'idiot never read the book and his perception of it and anyone military eas in of itself a parody of reality. So he essentially is saying "I make a parody of a parody".

Now as a mindless bughunt by keystone cops like imbeciles with the mental abilities of dead snails it was an entertaining blow'em up.

But it had nothing to do with Starship Troopers. Heck, the bugs were as technology advanced as we were and used starships. They didn't fart across interstellar distances 😉

But directly to tye point. That movie was an amusing splatter flick. made and adaptation of the book, it made the Dragonball movie look like the best ever made.

No I didn't deliberately make a moronic statement designed to start a flame war. I'm just BBS Challenged.

#14 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,429 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

@Spence: I had no idea the book had been altered by publishers. Who in the hell approved that? Surely not REH himself.

No real idea. But since then I have been noticing that a lot of the classics seem to be changing. Apparently they are "fixing them" to meet modern expectations.

Luckily I have an extensive library of hardcopy books printed pre-2000.

#15 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,429 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:55 PM

Nobody is talking about the Wild Cards series?

I remember liking the first 4 or 5 books and then it went off edge and I lost interest. Great concept but pushed far beyond the writers ability to keep coming up with good ideas. At least I thought so but YMMV.

#16 zslane

zslane

The Monster From the Clock

• 2,692 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:25 PM

No real idea. But since then I have been noticing that a lot of the classics seem to be changing. Apparently they are "fixing them" to meet modern expectations.

Luckily I have an extensive library of hardcopy books printed pre-2000.

Is there an easy way to tell from examining a copy that it is the original text?

#17 phydaux

phydaux

Very High Powered Superhero

• 863 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

a YA novel called “Dreadnought” by April Daniels.

Normally I'd be all over this, but I just can't get past the transexual elements.

If you're looking for YA I'll toss out another series - Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain.

"General, THIS is what happens when you let rednecks play with antimatter."

#18 Jagged

Jagged

Maptool Evangelist

• 330 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:39 AM

A web serial I am currently enjoying is called Super Powered by Drew Hayes.
http://www.drewhayesnovels.com

He has a few successful self published works in the fantasy and superhero genre.

#19 Cassandra

Cassandra

The Supreme Know It All!

• 4,719 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

How to be a Superhero by Doctor Metropolis

It's a guide to superhero archetypes, how to meet the right villain, and a quiz on how evil you might be for villains.

"KITT was a Cylon."

#20 Doctor Zen

Doctor Zen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

I liked the Wild Cards books #1-7, 10-12. But as time went on, it just became more and more depressing. There were no real "heroes" and it seemed to embody everything I did not enjoy about the Dark Age of comics.

• Spence likes this

They were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Naturally they became heroes.