Opale

Editing a character sheet using chinese characters

Hi Dan,

I recently moved to Shanghai, and met some chinese people that are interested into trying some Champions game.

Issues are they don't all read english well, so we managed to create some export format templates using the mandarin chinese characters. But it seems when you try to edit a sheet, such characters won't appear.

Is there anything I can do about it ? Or is that hardcoded so that won't ever work ?

Opale, internationally selling the heroic ideas.

Save files have the character set stated as UTF-8 (which does not included the extended characters required for either simplified or traditional Chinese.

I've just pushed up and update which changes the character set on save files to UTF-16 -- this should fix the issue for you.

UTF-8 is 8 bit (hence the name) -- 256 characters in the set.  Not enough for Chinese.

UTF-16 is 16 bit -- 65,536 characters in the set.  Enough for even Chinese.

Oops...see below.

What I get for posting before coffee.

Java uses UTF-16 internally, so there is no conversion required by the XML formatter that is used by the application when the character encoding is set to match.   While the formatter does handle conversions based on the encoding set, the differences between UTF-8 and UTF-16 can cause some issues when dealing with higher indexed characters (like Chinese).